True Warriors

Discussion in 'General' started by timagua, Nov 11, 2009.

1. timagua

timagua New Member

[FONT=&quot]Greetings and respect to all our veterans everywhere. We owe many of the good things we enjoy today – especially our freedom - to the courage, dedication and sacrifices of these men and women. They are our true warriors![/FONT]

2. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

I second that motion! May God bless those who are serving to protect us here in the US, our Allies and those who are fighting with our troops to bring Democracy to their homeland. For they are in even greater danger than us.

3. medic

medic Junior Member

May God bless the present and past veterans and their families for the precious gift of freedom they have given us.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, I think of those who don't have today off because they're serving abroad, be it in Iraq or Afghanistan or in Germany or S. Korea. It's an all-too-rare thing in this world to have a military so respectful of civilian authority.

5. R. Mike Snow

And let us not forget the ccivilian contractors, support and security personel that work hand-in-hand to support our military! Some of them are in just as much danger as out soldiers, airmen and sailors.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, in WWII being a merchant mariner was perhaps the most dangerous job of all, for example.

7. R. Mike Snow

Yes Sir!

Great point!

It amazes me that most people have no knowlege of US and/or Philippine history. After I tought class last night, I tried to discuss the Spanish-American War and WWII. Only one of my student even knew there was A Spanish-Amercian War or a "Death March" in WWII. I have always tried to teach historical backgrounds and cultural understanding as well as what our elders and ancestor had to endure and do not know enough about what our current warriors are going through now. I guess I am going to have to push even harder from now on. After all, how can they give thanks and show respect if they do not know who they owe it it to?

8. maliksi77

maliksi77 New Member

In World War Two alone, Uncle Sam and his allies, including the Brits, Aussies, Canucks, Pinoys and others fought the Axis Powers on both sides of the globe. It is this conflict that has probably had the greatest effect on the Filipino psyche, for one. Many plain, non-military folks were forced into battle under severe circumstances. My maternal grandpa was tortured and killed by Kempei Tai, the Japanese Imperial Secret Police simply because he was a legal professional and therefore considered a threat. Many other relatives actively conducted sabotage, ambush, surveillance and intelligence gathering in the guerrilla effort. An uncle who was with the regular Philippine Army was lucky enough to have survived the Death March. After the war, they simply returned to rebuild their lives with no thought of monetary or material compensation. Freedom was their ultimate reward...indeed freedom is the gift that Uncle Sam facilitated upon the rest of the world after the terrible conflict. Let us not forget this!

9. R. Mike Snow

Thanks to studying FMA's, I have been blessed with stories(actual accounts) of the sacrifices that our elders, both still with us and those that haven passed on recently. I remember when Stephen and I visited Mamang Theodorico and he told me the numerous travesties that were inflicted by the by the Japanese. They are countless. Mamang only had one semi-pleasant story to share of that time. Mamang stated that the first time they ever tasted chocolate was when his cousin "Little Nene" was chased down by a US Marine guarding Japanese prisoners. For shooting the prisoners with a slingshot. Every chance "Little Nene" could, he would take shots at the prisoners and after a couple dozen times one Marine finally caught up with him. The US Marine made "Little Nene" promise to stop shooting the prisoners and in return gave him a couple of Hersey chocolate bars that he actually shared with some of his family. Sharing chocolate?

Last year a spoke to a gentleman here in Terre Haute that was in the US Navy in WWII that went ashore right after running the Japanese Imperial Navy out of Leyte Gulf. He told me that the only thing that he could not put behind him was the literally hundreds of Philippine men, women and children that were forced to jump off cliffs at gun point when the Japanese troops were alerted to the fact that a US Strike Force was approaching. Call me weak, but I was pretty choked up after listening to that.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  10. sjansen

sjansen New Member

Also, the Merhcant Marines are the only branch of the service to have any deaths while still in training.

I learned that fact from a former student who is now in the Merchant Marine Academy. Dreadfully, I didn't even know what they did before he joined and I looked into it. Being a former U.S. Marine it shamed me. I didn't even know they were a branch of the military.

11. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

I beg to differ on that one, all the forces, before they are passed out into their units train and all the forces have at one point had deaths whilst training.

As a matter of fact I live not that far away from a beach where American forces where attacked by a German U-Boat whilst they where training for D-Day, many of those young men who died on that beach where raw recruits who where still in training and had never actually expearianced the War up until that point.

A large portion of the American D-Day Landing forces trained and left for Normandy in the area I now live.

All the people who took part in that major event are true warriors in my eyes.

Best regards

Pat

12. sjansen

sjansen New Member

You are absolutely correct!

I was referring to american forces and not those of the UK or Germany which both had recruits die in combat in WWII. All Americans who died in training were actually members of the armed forces of america except those of the merchant marines.

Sorry for the confusion.