Trip to Negros Occ. for training with Grandmaster Nene Tortal Sr.

Discussion in 'Dekiti Tirsia Siradas' started by Kali Cowboy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

When in a foreign country I always drink bottled water and pop. It just is the smart thing to do.

2. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Well I am not going to make it. [​IMG] Unfortunately to many things conflict. So to make up for it I am going to have the Grand Tuhon over to teach here in Alma, Michigan and get some one on one time as well. [​IMG]

3. tjp

tjp New Member

Speaking of critters, make sure to check out what shots you may need before going to PI, including malaria meds. Hope this helps.

Tony

4. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Yep,

You have a good point, I haven't head anyone talk about going to the CDC website where they have a list of must have vaccines for each country. When I fist started working for miltary contractors, we had to show proof before we could even get on the jobsite.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  5. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Check 6-8 weeks before departing on an international trip. Many vaccines need a few weeks to become active, and some vaccines need to be given in series.

6. silat1

silat1 Active Member

One thing I can recommend before you go and can afford it, get the hepitatis shots just to be safe and also make sure your tetanus shot is up to date also.. Tetanus is good for 10 yrs, but if you are like most people I know, they haven't gotten or had a tetanus shot since they were kids.. You can get good medical care in the Philippines, but when you are out in the islands and away from the bigger cities, your medical care is limited somewhat.. I also recommend that you take a bug out bag with any extra meds you need, plus toss in a first aid kit just to be safe..

7. Was funny...about 1 year and a half ago I got sick here. Didn't think nothing of it until a rash came up and I suffered a fever and a shortness of breath. My wife dragged me to the hospital where I remained for a week. Turns out that I had contracted German Measles of all things! I was sure I had the shot when I was a kid but evidently not...!

8. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Guess international travel has it's negative effects on everyone, even those who don't travel. I would actually not want to travel without the vaccines and other meds that are out today. Being on a plane with 200 strangers from all over the world, packed together like sardines, breathing all over each other is a great way to pick up anything. That has to be far worse than spending time in a low trafic town or village.

9. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

BTW Stephen, they now have an oral vaccine for Typhoid. 4 live culture pills over 8 days and you're covered for 5 years (sounds like justification for a repeat visit) vs. only 2 yrs for the shot.

10. Bahad Zubu-Florida

Bahad Zubu-Florida New Member

For those who get a bad case of heat rash (which i got bad on my chest, arms and thighs--it was ugly...)--try using a baby diaper rash ointment (I used "Buttpaste". It was recommended to me when I returned to the states... it cleared my rash in 2 days (the itchiness disappeared in 1 day)... I had the heat rash for 2 weeks (i think).. the ointment and medication I was given in PI helped but did not clear it.

11. still lurking

still lurking New Member

Rubber. Don't "trust" the local ones. :frowntobi

12. silat1

silat1 Active Member

In my bug out bag/aka medical kit that I travel with, I carry a tube of bactricin, which is an ointment that can be used as an antibiotic, pack of anti diarrahea meds, bottle of aleve, bandaids, cravats which can also be used as part of a sling for arm injuries, chemical ice packs, aspirin or aleve, toothache meds, and if you are prone to reactions to shots or bug bites, would also include an epi pen to combat the analyphalactic shock.. also recommend that you take some ace wraps and cling or gauze rolls for the cuts and bruises, one more thing that I put in my jump kit is a pack of mole skin or superglue to take care of blisters.. This is on top of any of your normal day to day meds.