Trip to Negros Occ. for training with Grandmaster Nene Tortal Sr.

Discussion in 'Dekiti Tirsia Siradas' started by Kali Cowboy, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

Big time fun and adventure are being planed and looked forward to, here in Hollister, Florida. I just finalized my plans with Grandmaster for training with him in March of 09. I know a lot of you are either from the Philippines or have been there many times, but it is a big deal for me! I have never been out of the country except to go surfing in Mexico or sight seeing in Canada (once).

My wife is sooooo jealous, she cannot make the trip, though she is a world traveler. I have my passport, shot records, plane flights and am working on the hotel accomidations. I hope to be spending some time at the Grandmasters house so I need to get with him before I book my room.

Please you guys, I am not bragging or rubbing things in, it is just a MAJOR event in my life. I am a midwestern farm boy, who spent some time in LA (pure hell) and now reside back in the country. My friends on FMA talk that have been to my place will tell you.....Steve lives a long place from nowhere.

Any help with planning, places to go, things I have not thought of or just words of encouragment are welcome here.

Please tell me of your first trip to the Philippines, or if you are from there, tell me about your first trip to the states!

God Bless,

Stephen Shy
    DTD Florida

2. medic

medic Junior Member

I for one am jealous, and when you come down to visit I am not going to let you forget.

3. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

I will see you soon, we will have lots of fun training!

4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Hey Stephen,

Lucky you what a treat! [​IMG]

5. The first time I really left the UK was to do 6 months training in the States. My Sifu's gym was in West Hollywood. That really was a culture shock coming from the UK!

I vividly remember one seminar we were practising hook defense out in the parking lot due to the numbers. On the other side of the fence was gay pride and about 4000 guys bopping along to techno! They were sure having a good time in the afternoon whilst I was getting kicked and punched!

I had a great time in the US and met some great people. That trip really swayed my thinking into not wanting to return to an office somewhere and I was lucky enough to egt a world travel ticket the following year. I have now lived 6 years in Asia. The first 3.5 being in Taiwan and I am now "Settled" here in the Philippines.

When I first arrived here I was surprised by how many western outlets they had (resturants, stores, etc), that the majority of people spoke English or could understand English (and not be shy about it like in Taiwan) so I could read a menu again!

I'm sure you'll have a great trip and feel free to give me a shout if you're passing through Manila.

Simon.

6. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

Simon,
    Thanks for the reply. I am landing in Manila and Grandmaster is talking about picking me up there and taking the boat back to Negros. He say we will do a little sight seeing befor we begin our training. May be we can hook up while I am there. We will keep in touch via PM, OK?

Thanks for the story about your trip, it must have been very different with "The Guys" next door! LOL

Stephen

7. KMAA

KMAA New Member

Guro Shy,

It was a pleasure to chat with you at the tournament. By the way, I sent you an e-mail. Did you receive it?

Patrick

8. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Stephen,
    Keep me informed as to the dates and times of the camp. My wife's family is having a family reunion in March, so I can get away from Pampanga and make the run to Negros for the seminar.. I was meaning to go this month, but stuff happened as usual with the job, so I had to cancel it.. But in March, I can combine this trip with the family reunion and kill two birds with one stick

9. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

As soon as I get the schedule from Grandmaster I will let you know.

Stephen

10. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

Patrick,
    I did get your email and I sent you a reply. You have a beautiful family. See if you can arrange to go to Negros in March, I will be a great time! I got some good prices online, I will point you in that direction.
    Stephen

11. KMAA

KMAA New Member

Guro Shy,

Thanks so much. I checked my e-mail, but have not received your reply. Please re-send it to my e-mail.

Thanks,
    Patrick

12. Brian R. VanCise

Stephen is there a Dekiti Camp going on at the same time?

13. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

Yes, though I have not gotten specifics from Grandmaster, he told me when to be there and that there will be extensive training going on. I will post the schedule when he tells it to me. You might want to ask him when you see him for your seminar. The more the better for the trip to the PI.

14. Brian R. VanCise

You know Stephen I will certainly do that next weekend. If things work out I would love to be there with you and the Grand Tuhon next year! [​IMG]

15. Tunnel_Rat

Tunnel_Rat New Member

First trip to Philippines

My first trip to the Philippines was with Gurus Mike and May Williams in '03, and I've been hooked ever since. Some basic advice I would give is everything you buy thats not in a mall can be bartered down by at least 1/3 the price...they hike it up for Foreigners. The roadside barbque's they have are to die for, but just make sure to ask what your eating. Driving there is like being in a Mad Max movie, but without guns, so be aware. Most houses and other small buildings are built for shorter people so always watch your head when you go through a door or stand up. A pint of rum is about 40 cents. Dont touch dogs (obvious). Watch out for dog/goat/carabao poop. Everyone will stare at you. Carry a small umbrella even in the dry season. And if your walking be prepared to hear "hey Joe" about every 20 feet.....oh, and carry a blade. Foreigners rarely get searched at most places. And be prepared to see more beautiful women per square meter than the stage of the Miss Universe contest. Good luck.

16. "Hey Joe, what's you name Joe?"

Ha! Still makes me laugh after 2 years here :(

17. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

an Island resort near San carlos city. with white sand beaches and cristal clear water if I'am not mistaken you can ask GMtortal aout it if I'am not mistaken it is called Sipadan Island. Ask GM tortal about it, but if you would be travelling on a bout then you will ride the Negros Navigation from Manila. Thats the only bout to Negros Island.

18. Tunnel_Rat

Tunnel_Rat New Member

Does anyone know if the new international airport they build in Silay, North of Bacolod is operational yet? It would be alot easier than going through manilla to get to Negros.

19. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

I too would like to be part of the group. GM invited me there while I was at Brrian Van Cise's Gathering. The significant other thinks it would be "fun".
    Due to my muscle disorder, extensive training is out of the picture, but, I think the exposure to the culture, the sights, sounds , smells would be an experiance for her. I trained in the Philippines from 1970 to 1973 and I still have good memories of it. Even the balute thing.

20. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

Flier

Guro Buzz,
    You are more then welcome. Mike Snow will be posting a flier here with all of the information about the camp, prices, dates, where to stay. We will be close to GM's house, shopping, food etc. and with work out space available at the Resort. Mike should have this information up on Monday.
    God Bless,
    Stephen