Tribute this year?

Discussion in 'Lameco' started by gagimilo, Feb 26, 2008.

1. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

Hello all!

I was wondering if there is going to be another LAMECO Tribute to PG Sulite this year? after the success of the one held last year, I thought that maybe it could become an annual event, especially since IMHO the late PG Sulite certainly does deserve one...

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Does no one know?

3. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

I have not heard anything from my other Lameco Eskrima brothers concerning the possibility of a tribute this year. I support the idea of publically paying our respects to our fallen founder every 10 years marking the anniversary of the passing of Punong Guro Sulite, with the next one being held as close as possible to April 10, 2017 (20th anniversary).

I think that the event should be less commercial and more intimate on a very personal level allowing us first generation students and standard bearers to come together with a handful of Lameco Eskrima enthusiasts from around the world with whom we can share our experiences and mutually reflect on what Punong Guro Sulite meant to us all. Not for money or networking but out of respect and admiration of a great man and his passion for the Indigenous Pilipino Warrior Arts.

Ciao...

Guro Dave Gould.

4. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I talked to guro Agbulos yesterday, and he told me he doubted the possibility of that event taking place this year. Personally, I believe it's pity, cause the man such as PG Sulite was, certainly deserves a tribute...
    Who knows, maybe a biannual event? If I were a member of SOG, I know I'd like to meet with my brothers in arms more often than once every decade.

5. Guro Dave Gould

Guro Dave Gould LAMECO ESKRIMA SYSTEM

Dragan,

Hello there, I hope that all is well with you. I agree that Punong Guro Sulite deserves to be paid tribute and given respect for all that he has contributed to us personally and the greater Indigenous Pilipino Warrior Art community as a whole.

I pay tribute to Punong Guro Sulite with every class that I teach and every seminar that I conduct world wide. As well with everything that I write concerning all things combative I pay tribute to the great gift that Punong Guro Sulite bestowed on me and how profoundly he touched my life.

I feel that Punong Guro Sulite should be paid tribute each and every day as opposed to only once a year. The whole idea of the tribute to his memory was more for us the direct students and standard bearers of Punong Guro Sulite and Lameco Eskrima as a group moreso than an attempt to commercialize an event in his name.

The idea was to create an opportunity where we could all reunite in his name and reflect again as a group on his memory and the profound impact that he placed on all of our lives collectively, as well as individually. In addition we wanted to give a select few individuals the rare opportunity to become a part of all of this and allow us to share openly our memories, experiences and training environment with that select few individuals as first generation students of this great man and his passion.

I have the greatest respect for all of my bretheren in Lameco Eskrima and I would jump at any opportunity to spend time with them but my primary obligation is first and foremost to remain eternally in servitude to the memory and purpose of Punong Guro Sulite and the propagation of Lameco Eskrima to whomever seeks out this knowledge the world over.

It is not a tribute that I am opposed to but the possibility of commercializing it that I hope to prevent. It has been my experience that as soon as something transcends itself into an annual event the event itself is thrust into the limelight and overtime replaces the initial intent, spirit or true purpose for which the event was suppose to represent in the first place.

I feel so strongly about this that even the DVD series which I am doing for Budo International and the new book on Lameco Eskrima which I am currently working on for them is being done without monetary gain for mysef. I refuse to accept any payment of any kind and I agreed only to do these things for the sole value of world wide publicity about Lameco Eskrima and Punong Guro Sulite which would be generated through the wide exposure that Budo International has through its networking and organization around the world.

I receive 10 free copies from Budo International for each DVD that I shoot for them, which I gladly give without charge to my private students and Tribal Leaders for their dedication and loyalty to Lameco Eskrima and Punong Guro Sulite in serving his cause and not my own.

Punong Guro Sulite used to tell us that he as the leader of Lameco Eskrima would be judged by all actions, good or bad, which we his chosen students and standard bearers would perform in his name. When we do something "bad" it reflects poorly on him and when we do something "good" it reflects well on him. So we were charged to always do the right thing for the right reasons as any and all of our actions and reactions would reflect on his good reputation and status in the overall Indigenous Pilipino Warrior Arts Community as a whole, which we all serve for better or worse.

Ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

6. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I agree with you on this fully, since it is so unfortunately true! In fact the problem with the commercialization is that this phenomenon is devouring our world in all segments of life, thus making the encounters and occassions to meet other truly dedicated fellow martial artist very rare and fare between. Bout on the other hand, it also makes those same opportunities so much more precious.

From my point of view, your own dedication to the legacy left behind by PG Sulite is quite noticable in all your presentations on the subject, which makes me (and few others Ibelive) all the more happy to have you here on this forum, hence benefitting from your experttise and even more importatnly, the desire to share it...

You make an example that is inspiring to me, and I thank you for that!

7. GLENNLOBO

GLENNLOBO New Member

honour

your dedication to your art, and teacher, the honour you demonstrate, does you great credit. more, it does your teacher great credit. truly noble sentiments obviously lived. an inspiration to us all.

8. Supremo

Supremo New Member

"Punong Guro Sulite used to tell us that he as the leader of Lameco Eskrima would be judged by all actions, good or bad, which we his chosen students and standard bearers would perform in his name. When we do something "bad" it reflects poorly on him and when we do something "good" it reflects well on him. So we were charged to always do the right thing for the right reasons as any and all of our actions and reactions would reflect on his good reputation and status in the overall Indigenous Pilipino Warrior Arts Community as a whole, which we all serve for better or worse."

One of the best teachings I have ever heard. May this instruction be followed by all practitioners from every style and organization. May Punong Guro Sulite's memory forever be remembered in the FMA community.