Training Swords and Training Knives.

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by Bill Bednarick, May 14, 2008.

?

What do you look for in training weapons?

Poll closed May 24, 2008.
  1. Price, I shop around for the best deal.

33.3%
  2. Realism, I like the live blade feel.

53.3%
  3. Durability, I train hard and my tools must be tough.

33.3%
  4. Material, Aluminum and Steel for me please.

33.3%
  5. I only use rattan sticks.

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bill Bednarick

Bill Bednarick Junior Member

What influences you purchases of training gear?
    Feel free to take the poll and discuss your thoughts on training knives and training swords.

2. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I like my training blades to feel as close to the real thing as possible, so I always look at that first, but because my budget is super tight price is the next consideration after that.

3. Riddick29

Riddick29 New Member

Realistic feeling and aluminium ; I prefer "copy" of live-blades than "traditionnal shape" trainers.

4. pguinto

pguinto New Member

Realism + Balance + Durability + Low cost = Perfect trainer

I know durability & low cost teeter totter, however one can always hope for a good bargain with only a slight sacrifice

5. rideoutblades

rideoutblades Junior Member

I too prefer the modern designs. In the last three years I have made 25 different designs of knife trainers alone. I like all of the swords. I have made 15 different sword designs. I was a knife junkie long before I discovered the Filipino Martial Arts.

6. Makata

Makata New Member

As much as is possible, I believe in training with tools that are as close as possible to what you actually carry (or what you would carry, depending on what your surroundings are--I'm specifically referring to training swords here). Hence, trainers that closely mirror things I regularly pack or own are extremely important to me. It's no good learning knifework with a big Bowie style trainer, when what you pack daily is a Spyderco Delica...you get the idea, I'm sure.

Just my 2 centavos. :)

7. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I agree, but it's also nice to have a few differet styles and sizes of knives to train against because you never know what the other guy is carrying.

8. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Bill's stuff is top notch.. I had commissioned him to do a bowie trainer for me while I was training in another knife system and all I sent him was a picture and dimensions.. I picked it up on my way to a seminar in Illinois the weekend I got back to the mainland in 05.. Needles to say, it was close in comparison to the real thing I had made by a blade smith in Pennsylvania.. I also want to state that Bill's products made a debut in Illinois for the sulong tourney that was sponsored by the DTS and Sulong groups out of chicago.

9. NAGA

NAGA Member

Fantastic Trainers!

Hello All,
    Normally I only talk about DTS or Sulong stuff, but I have to recommend Bills stuff. His traniers actually feel like real blades and will only enhance your training. So I will unabashedly reccomend his stuff over any and all others without reserve......

Thanks,
    John

10. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I haven't tried Bills stuff as of yet but I just received a new training barung from Steve VanHarn..wow what a piece. I sent him pictures and dimensions, weight of my 1885 Tausug Barung and he made it perfect...balance and all with a beautiful wood handle with a cord rap..a perfect reproduction in a trainer. I don't know if Steve is going to be doing this more often but if you can convince him to craft you one it would be well worth it.

11. Bill Bednarick

Bill Bednarick Junior Member

The trainer Steve made you is sweet.
    Steve and I share the same philosophy on trainers, make them as real as possible.
    Steve was also one of the people that pointed out to me that paracord was NOT the best handle for a trainer when the live blade used wood or horn.

Someone else that does top shelf work like Steve's is Jeff "Stickman" Finder.
    Jeff's stuff is beautiful and innovative.

12. adam t babb

adam t babb New Member

my traing knives are old beet knives that i took the edge and points off

adam