Training Ginunting?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by jwinch2, Sep 20, 2014.

1. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Who's making the best training ginuntings? It doesn't need to be terribly fancy just well made. In particular, I want a blade that is balanced properly.
    Thanks in advance!

2. silat1

silat1 Active Member

didn't the manila pekiti group have some bladesmiths that made trainers.. I would go check out Tuhon Rommel on FB, he should be able to direct you to a suitable outlet

3. odalisay

odalisay Member

J,

You have one of the best trainers being made right there in your backyard in Denton. Charlie Porter makes a damn good trainer. I have had mine for nearly a year now & are beat up every time we train. I will have to eventually sand down the nicks & dents.

http://www.charlieporterknives.com/

I am on the hunt now for someone who will make real ginuniting trainers. Meaning a real ginunting that is not sharpened and has a blunt tip.

You can try GM Rodel Dagooc's website: http://www.smokingsticks.net/
    They look like they have a decent ginunting trainer. The prices are pretty reasonable.

Here are pics of my ginunting trainers I bought from Charlie Porter. I took close up of the nicks & dents to show how well these trainers take a beating. Mind you we swing hard when we deflect incoming attacks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW these are custom 21" length trainers not the regular 18" ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  4. odalisay

odalisay Member

5. odalisay

odalisay Member

J,

Have you decided on a ginunting trainer and how goes training(who did you pick to learn from)? Tried to to pm you but your inbox is full.

6. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Hi there.

I haven't made any final decisions on the training weapon as of yet, but I will likely go with your recommendation above.

As for training, it is going well, and I am still training at both places with the blessing of both instructors. That may be coming to an end soon as it has started to become a bit of an issue in terms of them teaching some things in slightly different ways, which makes it hard to truly internalize movements. For example, if footwork/forms/position/etc. is taught differently from one instructor to the next, and from day to day you are doing it one way for one person and another way for the other person, then you are constantly in a state of cognition rather than ever getting it to the sub-conscious level. This can make things difficult to ever get beyond the initial stage of learning.

Thanks again for the recommendations on a trainer. I need to pick one up at some point, probably soon.

7. odalisay

odalisay Member

Yup no problem. I think you will be happy with the Charlie Porter trainer. It is a handsome and functional trainer.

I hope you can decide who you want to train with. It is definitely hard to learn from different teachers. Trying to emulate both teachers is a challenge. Good luck!

8. odalisay

odalisay Member

9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Junior Member

Mine was from GM Rodel Dagooc.

[​IMG]

Izam likes this.