Training Footwear

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by pguinto, Nov 20, 2009.

1. pguinto

pguinto New Member

What are some recommendations for training shoes besides wrestling shoes and steel toe combat/construction boots? Please dont say kung fu shoes (espadrills), lol. Looking for comfortable ones; as i have wide headhunter feet which are slightly bunioned from wearing tight footwear for too long. Stylish ones which could be worn like gym shoes would be nice too.

2. wren

wren New Member

Puma makes pretty nice shoes to move in

small. snug and light

3. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I use wrestling shoes but the Nike free works really well also.

4. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

Vibram 5 fingers! look them up they are awesome. Might not look appealing to some but theyre worth a shot

5. pguinto

pguinto New Member

WHAT THE HECK!!!
    [​IMG]

very interesting.....

6. I think it's important to train in the type of shoes you wear when not training.

A number of people here (P.I) train in Flip-flops. I wish I could but they really irritate me. The keep saying "Your footwork sucks!" LOL.

When wearing shoes they lalso ike the "Asics" brand though I haven't tried them as yet.

I wear adidas trainers / sneakers. I was really happy when I got a pair of "Adidas Martial Arts" that I had coveted for years. However, I went right through the sole in just a few months. Find a good pair and stick to them I say.

7. I think it's important to train in the type of shoes you wear when not training.

A number of people here (P.I) train in Flip-flops. I wish I could but they really irritate me. The keep saying "Your footwork sucks!" LOL. I'll get my coat...

When wearing shoes many instructors also like the "Asics" brand though I haven't tried them as yet.

I wear adidas trainers / sneakers. I was really happy when I got a pair of "Adidas Martial Arts" that I had coveted for years. However, I went right through the sole in just a few months. Find a good pair and stick to them I say.

8. pguinto

pguinto New Member

Flip flops bother me as well; i like asics and addidas, always had good wear with them

nikes on the other hand tend to fall apart right away, and methinks were it not for all the the money they pour into pro endorsements, everyone would see the light about their poor construction

i wear running/xtraining shoes 24/7 nowadays, but around the house i use birkenstock sandals (chinelas)

i must admit im really diggin the vibram 5 fingers right about now

9. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I read an article on a study of runners and running and injuries.

The results were a bit surprising -- the study found that the fancy high-tech athletic shoes with all the whizbang features actually increased the likelyhood of injury by weaking the feet and therefore degrading their ability to deal with certain levels of stress and trauma. The study found that the runners that were least likely to be injured were runners that ran barefoot or nearly barefoot. There was quite a bit of attention paid to the Marathoners from Kenya that repeatedly ran long distances barefoot or with small scuffs of rubber on their feet. I can definitely see the benefit for footware such as the the Vibram 5 fingers.

They sure looks interesting, but I think my nerves are exploding with the thought of that much material between my toes.

Has anyone tried these out? How do they feel? How easy are they to get used to?

10. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

they feel really natural and comfortable. I also thought they might take some time to get used to but that was not the case- i was hooked instantly. My wife also has a pair and I think she felt the same way. Everyone I've talked to (I ran into a few at the Pacific Island Gathering this year) who tried them loved them.