Tortal method Footwork!

Discussion in 'Dekiti Tirsia Siradas' started by NAGA, Apr 2, 2015.

1. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello Everyone,
    Well since things seem to be quiet here, I thought I would start something about the excellent footwork taught by Grand Tuhon Jerson "Nene" Tortal. The major component of his method is his off angle footwork similar to a tai sabaki step. He uses it in coordination with either a defensive or an offensive movement up top. So anybody else enjoy this type of method?

Thanks,
    John

2. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I like the footwork that Nene teaches.. It is similar to what I use in my bowie program and fits in quite well.. I see it similar to finding the point of a triangle by using the gate method or inquartada from fencing.. Works great also for empty hand applications

3. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello Bill,
    I could not agree with you more on this!!! Seems to me this is an appropriate vehicle in a very deep approach in understanding the bio-mechanics of sword work.

Thanks,
    John

4. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

The Grand Tuhon Nene Tortal's footwork is amazing and some thing as you mentioned above provides a deep approach into helping to understand the bio-mechanics of swordwork. While it is not the only style of footwork that I practice it certainly is a major component!

5. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello Brian and Bill Again!!!,
    Well I thought I would liven this thread up a bit as it has been a while since I have been on it! Anyhow the footwork works plain and simple! I have tested it in competition and have come out victorious time and again... Since I think I may be one of the few if not the only one whom competes! So in my mind there are no doubts about its effectiveness as a vehicle for understanding movement when it counts...
    Thanks,
    John

6. blindside

blindside student

What kind of events do you compete in?

7. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello All,
    Fair question so I will give it a shot in answering! Well lets see The Laban Laro that Datu Hartman hosts, GSBCA events and just until recently I hosted my own tournament. Hope that helps! You should also listen to our podcast as usually the BZ guys I co-host with also accompany me and fight in tournaments as well!! We usually talk about them on it, it is FMATALKLIVE.... Also Datu's tournament is this weekend!

Thanks,
    John

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  8. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello All Again Brain cramp, If you would like to see how I move you can check out my Facebook page Tatlo Pusaka Senjata.....

Thanks Again,
    John

9. blindside

blindside student

Thanks, I was just curious, I have struggled to find my guys some venue to test their skills. Most of the competition stuff in my area is padded stick stuff with rulesets designed by karateka (no points for the hand/arm???) or WEKAF. We are looking at some of the new HEMA tournaments for their messer or saber divisions to see if we can go play with them. I have a couple of guys planning on going to the Dog Brothers open this year and am helping host a DB style event (not affiliated) in my area.

What is GSBCA?

10. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I believe the Arnold Classic has a stick fighting competition that is not padded, which may be worth checking out. Also, I think Cold Steel does a knife competition every year. You probably already know about them, but if not, they may be worth a look.

11. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Brian,

How would you compare his footwork with GT Gaje's? I have had exposure to PTK through the PTI group and now with PTGO, and one of the things I really like about the system is the focus on footwork. However, I have had zero exposure to DTS, so am unfamiliar with how their footwork works, and any similarity it might share with PTK.

Best regards,

Jason

12. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello All,
    I maybe have mistyped it is the Global stick and blade alliance... Sorry for any confusion! Also since the last post is a question for Brian I will let him field it! However, what I have noticed when it comes to tournaments we should at least try to represent the styles that we do footwork include! Nevertheless, I have seen persons techniques and footwork breakdown into generic tournament fighting as well E.G. it looks nothing like if not unrecognizable as the system they train in... This is just an observation from many tournaments and not directed at anyone in particular I might add. Also as previously pointed out certain rules may hamper the signatures of various systems as well...

Thanks,
    John

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  13. Brian R. VanCise

Hey Jason,

The footwork is different in my opinion. John could give a much better answer regarding Dekiti Tirsia Siradas footwork than I could. First both systems have a huge emphasis on footwork which in my opinion is great. Dekiti Tirsia Siradas does utilize more circular footwork or a half circle emphasis that I would call and characterize as a swing step. It is very mobile and allows a practitioner to get outside and around at an advantageous angle. You can see this movement also in some Pekiti practitioners though to a much, much, much lesser extant. (some times just shows up during free/flow movement) Personally, I use a combination of multiple methods with triangle/V footwork along side with the swing step to cover all bases.

14. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thanks!

15. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello Everyone,
    Okay it is my turn now to give it a shot and explain the differences and similarities between DTS ans PTK footwork. Well DTS uses diagonal footwork on a 45 degree line as both a shift to outtime a sword swing and as a way to turn the body and limit profile. You can think of it as triangular footwork without forming the third portion of the triangle. Also 90 footwork similar to a Japanese Tai-Subaki step is used in both a defensive and on offensive capacity. Kneeling is also used as a form of dodging and all the footwork is concerned with helping power generation as we all know the Ilongo prefer some heavy sword blades.... Popete or cat stance footwork is not a part of the DTS method.

Hope that helps....

Thanks,
    John

16. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

The first part sounds similar to me. Do you have a good video that serves to highlight DTS footwork to share? Just curious mostly.

17. Brian R. VanCise

18. Bard-t

Bard-t New Member

19. My understanding about Dekiti Tirsia Siradas and Pekiti Tirsia

Pt. 1 - I, Mr. Rhodgie Tortal Aquino. 34 years old grandson of Dekiti tirsia Siradas founder and Grandmaster Nene Tortal. I just want to share with you my understanding about the two martial arts system founded by Grandmaster Nene Tortal and Tuhon Leo Gaje. Eversince I was a kid, I was exposed to Martial Arts activities of my Grandfather Nene Tortal. How he trained, joined and told us how he won tournaments, and used his skills in real life combat situations. As his Martial Arts progress, he had trained and shared his knowledge to growing number of students including Rommel Tortal, son of Melecio Tortal the younger brother of Grandmaster Nene Tortal. When the time came Tuhon Leo Gaje came back to the Philippines from abroad, the two worked together for the development of the art and propagation of the system. Leo Gaje already was carrying the flag Pekiti Tirsia. But it was not an official Tortal Martial Arts System. Leo Gaje studied a lot of techniques from Grandmaster Nene Tortal. Leo Gaje have this talent in marketing so as Grandmaster Nene is undeniable possess martial arts skills not only superior but already proven effective in real life combat situations. Grandmaster Nene has contributions in maintaining peace and order assistance with our town Police Officers since he was the first to be contacted by officers if there are hostage situations or every time there are attempt of assault involving combat encounters. Leo Gaje then came up to a marketing strategy that they can make some good money out by way of teaching Martial Arts. Then he suggested that they will carry the banner Pekiti Tirsia after the family system. Grandmaster Nene once asked him why is Pekiti Tirsia when it is not the real family system. Pekiti Tirsia has influences of foreign martial arts and is not pure Tortal Family Martial Arts. But then later on he convinced Grandmaster Nene to carry the banner.

Their partnership later on turned sour when eventually Leo Gaje did something bad to Grandmaster Nene that made him really offended and the two split up. Grandmaster Nene separated and established Dekiti Tirsia Siradas. The banner come up on how Grandmaster Nene defined the true Tortal Martial Arts System. I cannot forget that there is an instance when Leo told their students during one of their seminars that if they wanted deeper techniques, he had Grandmaster Nene Tortal. He said it because Leo Gaje is only good in presentation arts that entertains but not all usable in real life combat situations.

Leo Gaje, having the knowledge and in the situation that he had those legal credentials to claim that it is Pekiti Tirsia is the true family system, destroyed Grandmaster Tortal’s martial arts propagation in any way, social media, networks, blogs, because he saw that Grandmaster Nene’s market grew not only in the Philippines but also abroad. In my understanding, he was threatened by the propagation of Dekiti Tirsia because his weak techniques will be revealed. He attempted to asked Grandmaster Nene to give them another chance to work together and Grandmaster Nene also had not failed leo Gaje. But the same thing happened. He did the same thing that Grandmaster Nene have lost his trust on him.

I wrote this letter not to destroy Pekiti Tirsia, but to unite the family, especially Rommel Tortal who do not know how Grandmaster Nene really cared for him since he was a young kid. The conflict of these two Systems also created gap between Rommel’s father Melecio and Grandmaster Nene. But luckily I am happy to say that later last these couple of years the good relationship of these two is back and our family is happy to see them have each other again. And also Grandmaster Nene is happy with Rommel’s achievement nowadays.

Now, the issue of what is the real family system banner, it is maybe not Dekiti Tirsia Siradas or definitely not Pekiti Tirsia. It should be who has the blood and skills of the true Tortal Martial Arts warrior. Grandmaster Nene proven it for a long time. Rommel also had proven it for a long time. Maybe Leo Gaje too in some situation. I believe that there is only one way to unite and solidify the true family system. They should unite and rename the banner to TORTAL MARTIAL ARTS SYSTEM.

Grandmaster Nene now focused in some activities like training security systems of private organizations. So if I were you, who really wanted to experience the real Tortal martial arts techniques, it is Grandmaster Nene who can help you.

All these things I say is based on my own understanding.