Tom Bisio

Discussion in 'Pekiti-Tirsia Kali' started by lameco_alex, Mar 17, 2009.

1. lameco_alex

lameco_alex New Member

Tuhon Bill, do you have any information of Tom Bisio?
    Why he leaves Pekiti Tirsia?
    He was a very good fighter...

Thanks in advance

2. TuhonBill

TuhonBill Member

Hi Alex,

I answered a similar question in comments section the Tom-Bisio-fight1 video on my YouTube page.

Speaking of YouTube, I now have the 64 Attacks form and the first 22 techniques.

Here's my main page where you will find all my videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TuhonBillMcg

Regards,
    Tuhon Bill McGrath

3. lameco_alex

lameco_alex New Member

Thanks!!!

Hi tuhon bill!

Thanks for the information, right now i go to the youtube site just to watch the videos...

And for the answer too!

Have a nice day

4. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

5. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

I did some training with Tom Bisio back in the early 80's, very intense fellow. Looked like a mountain man and hit like an oak tree. But what a nice guy....

6. GuroJeff

GuroJeff New Member

I trained exclusively under Tom in NYC in the early '80's and received my Lakan Guro certification under him. Tom is one of the most impressive martial artists I have met in my 35 years of training. Tom is indeed a very formidable fighter. More importantly, he is a fantastic teacher.

He is an acupuncturist currently practicing in NYC. He has his own line of Chinese trauma products available at Kam Wo Pharmacy.

http://www.kamwo.com/shop/home.php?cat=418

His Die Da Jiu (dit da jao) is the best for the bruises we arnisadors always get.

Tom teaches Chinese internal martial arts (xingyi and bagua). He is also the heir to the San Miquel style of the late Momoy Canete

http://www.eskrima.com/

If you get a chance to study with him, I highly recommend it.

7. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Nice to see another fan of Tom's on an internet forum.

In his typical way, though, Tom would probably be the first to state that he is not the "heir" to Momoy Canete's San Miguel Eskrima. There are several of Momoy's senior students, and their students, currently teaching San Miguel Eskrima in the Philippines and abroad.

What is interesting about Tom's interpretation of San Miguel Eskrima to me is the way he seamlessly melds the principles of San Miguel Eskrima to those of the Chinese internal arts that he subsequently learned. Add to that his training in Pekiti Tirsia Kali, and also Emperado's Kajukenbo, and it's no wonder that peoples' eyes open wide on the rare occasions that he teaches San Miguel Eskrima.

In addition to the Zheng Gu Tui Na classes that he teaches with Frank Butler, Tom is also teaching a series of Ba Gua seminars in the NYC area. Any eskrimador would benefit from taking these classes.

Since this is a Pekiti Tirsia Kali forum, I would be remiss in not mentioning that Wes Tasker, a Matass' na Guro under Tuhon McGrath, is also a student of Tom's and practices Zheng Gu Tui Na in the Boston area.

Best,

Steve Lamade

8. GuroJeff

GuroJeff New Member

Thanks Steve. You are exactly right, Tom would never claim to be an "heir" to anything as he eschews politics of any sort. I regretted writing that as soon a I posted it. Thanks for the correction. Since I'm on the West coast now, I haven't seen Tom in almost 20 years, though I think about him all the time and mention him just about every class I teach. I think Tom is a martial arts genius, though again, he would disagree. I hope to be able to attend some of his Tuina seminars one of these days.

9. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

No problem. I'm pretty sure that Tom and Frank have been to San Fransisco to teach Tui Na. They piloted a Tui Na program at Dan Bensky's acupuncture school up in Seattle (The Seattle Institute of Oriental Medicine) and lecture there frequently.

I noticed from your profile that you're in acupuncture school. Tom and Frank's "Orthopedic Acupuncture" courses are the sine qua non for learning how to apply acupuncture to skeletal-muscular pain imho; of course, since the Tui Na is so important to begin with you should take these classes first - but you'll be happy to learn how consistently the Tui Na builds a foundation for acupuncture treatment.

Anyhow, I look forward to meeting you some day and practicing some Pekiti together.

Best,

Steve