To Gear Up Or Not Gear Up

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by The Phalanx, Jul 1, 2008.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

When sparring, what type of gear do you wear?

Do you wear the marshmallow-man armor? Do you pad up as much as you can that you put Darth Vader to shame? Or do you do it old-school style and wear nothing but a helmet and gloves?

Do you pad up your sticks, use Smak-Stiks, or do you go full-contact with live-sticks?

What do you prefer and what would you like to do in the future?

2. KaliJuan

KaliJuan New Member

Greetings Mark, I have done some Live stick sparring in the past, but with most of the new crew I have been training with, we've been using padded sticks, gloves (the KIL ones), and fencing masks.

I think it mostly comes down to the people you train with, and what level they wish to escalate to, be it padded sticks and minimal protection or go full out stay-puff marshmellow man or bust it out DBMA Gathering style...

But for now, we take as close to live stick for the sake of minimal padding and learning our openings and reading our training partners habits.

Take Care Friend and Great seeing a fellow DBMA'er on here :)

- J

3. The Phalanx

You're a Dog Brother? I train under Mike "DogZilla" Tibbits in the Hawai'i Clan... I hope to fight in many Gatherings in the future and become a Dog Brother with a Dog Brother Name... I'm sending you a friends request to your myspace, add me up bro...

4. KaliJuan

KaliJuan New Member

Hi Mark, NOT a Dog Brother yet, in training as you are, but hope to earn the title someday :) For now, I am working on becoming a Team Leader in my area and I will be heading out to train with Guro Crafty in the near future to continue those building blocks.

Already added ya to the myspace, take care Bro :)

- J

5. The Phalanx

I would like to meet Crafty one day... I think he's one of the most influential people in modern FMA and probably one of the most underated ones since he's not as popular as the Grand Masters or Grand Tuhons in traditional FMA... The way how he blends Krabi Krabong and Kali is pure genius...