Tips and advice for beginners?

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by Bob Hubbard, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

What advice would you give a beginner starting out in Modern Arnis?

While I don't have the benefit of decades in, I've been a newbie, and worked with quite a few of them.

My tips:
    - Be patient. It seems like a lot, but it's really just a matter of a little time.
    - When striking with the cane, think "hammer". (Got this from Rich Parsons a few years back. It helped alot!)
    - Keep your eyes open. (I hear this alot...that tendency of mine to close my eyes LOL!)

What else?

2. ryangruhn

ryangruhn New Member

"If a person can teach me one thing, they are of value to me"

Don't limit youself.

Gruhn

3. Alakd'an

Alakd'an New Member

Have Fun!

One thing I have been taught is to relax and have fun. I also teach this in our group.
    I have many years of experience with Martial Arts that teach from a boot camp mentality. It's a constant barrage of calisthetics and punishments ( more cals ) for mistakes.
    There is a place for some very tough cals and workouts. This creates discipline and work ethic, but you can lose some good students if not balanced with "relaxed motivation". When you see there progress because they desire to do well and not because of fear, you get a great attitude from them.
    Please, don't get me wrong, you have to train hard, but there are some different ways of going about it.
    Train to have fun and relax!
    Remember, "Practice is the mother of learning!" - GM Remy A. Presas.
    Salamat! Ben www.alakdanarnisador.com

4. KrissOfSweden

KrissOfSweden Member

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

For those coming from another martial art, it's important to recognize that you don't have to have your elbow exactly a fistlength from the body, you must move your feet more, and you're free to innovate from the beginning!

Apart from that, beginners should focus on a good grip (no thumb sticking out along the stick), triangular footwork, and striking with the blade (not flat).

6. KrissOfSweden

KrissOfSweden Member

another tips on elbow, have openhands, don't make a fist when you throw a elbow, because this will only restrain your strike. I have seen many from the budo arts that makes a fist while they strikeing there elbow and that's fine if you like that, but try once or twice do your elbows with and openhand.
    Even the great jet li strikes his elbows with a closed hand.. :karate:

7. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Always remember when swinging sticks, if your partner says " DUCK" for petes sake dont look up to the sky and say "WHERE"

Rocky

8. sames

sames New Member

Don't get hung up on the details when first learning a new technique. Get the general movement/concept and then smooth out the details.