thumb stud or opening hole for folders?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by jwinch2, Sep 28, 2008.

?

thumb stud or opening hole?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2008.
  1. thumb stud

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. opening hole

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. doesn't matter

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

I am looking for a new folder and am curious what your thoughts are on the ease of opening for a knife with a thumb stud (ala CRKT) versus an opening hole (ala spyderco).

I have only used a stud before so am a little concerned about the hole...

Thanks!

2. KaliGman

KaliGman Professional Man at Arms

Spyderco

Try a Spyderco. I prefer the Spyderhole to all other mechanisms used to quickly open a folding knife. The thumbstud is a good system, but I do prefer the Spyderhole. One advantage of the opening hole is that it will not snag on your pocket like some thumbstuds do when drawing at speed and under stress. The Emerson thumbdisk coupled with the Emerson Opener (called "Emerson Wave Opener" by many) is also a good system which you may wish to try. With a bit of practice, the Spyderco hole becomes far quicker and more reliable than using an automatic (switchblade). I think you will be very happy with a Spyderco--the fit and finish is excellent, the warranty is lifetime and is honored by the company (but is seldom needed), and the Spyderhole is easy to use.

Here is a very basic tutorial on drawing a Spyderco Kris and using the Spyderhole to open this folding knife that I filmed due to requests from a few Spyderco fans:

http://www.albokalisilat.org/draw_deploy.html

3. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Thanks KaliGman and thanks for the vid as well. Spyderco is one of the knives I am looking very strongly at along with a zero tolerance and 5.11 tactical. How comfortable do you feel with the back lock on the spyderco versus a liner lock or other locking mechanisms? Thanks again!

4. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

Kaliman, My sentiments exactly. I qwned other knives and had the smae problem. As I stated in another post sometime ago, I perfer my sypderco meerkat. I also have a sypderco mannix.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I prefer the hole though physics tells me I should prefer the thumb stud, I think!

6. silat1

silat1 Active Member

My emersons have the thumb disk, my spyderco have the hole.. But out of all of them, the hole makes it easier to find the opening when the stress factor makes the sphincter pucker.. The way I teach my guys is to index the thumb down the top of the blade so it will find the hole and pop it open that way.. I find it is faster in stressful situations.. I also have the wave feature on my cqc 13 emerson, but it is hard on the pockets when the wave catches on the lip and rips it from time to time

7. chubbybutdangerous

chubbybutdangerous CHUBBY MEMBER

:bow:I'm another who really prefers the thumbhole. You can never lose the thumbhole. Something I can't say for some of the thumb studs I've had. This includes those of some of the better known manufacturers
    :kicknuts:
    Respectfully,
    Chubby​

8. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

I prefer the thumb stud all the way. Personally I think it is much easier to open and negotiate when everything goes south than the hole. Though I will say that you need to pick your folders with thumb studs carefully to ensure that they work for you.

9. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

Unlike the thumb studs, the hole is on both sides and can be opened fast with either hand.

10. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Depending on how and where the thumb studs are positioned.. My emersons have them on top of the spine. My crkts has them on both sides of the blade. I used to have one knife that only had one thumb stud, needless to say, it was traded out real quick.. I prefer to have the ability to open a blade without fumbling for it.. One nice thing about the hole is the ability to use the razor drop opening and palm the blade that way.. But if you are prone to having slick hands or sweaty palms, I recommend that you don't try the razor opening as you might be trying to grab the blade as it slips out of your grip..

I got where I can open the thumb hole equipped spydercos with a minimal amount of force and do the job required, then back in my pocket before anyone knew I had it opened.. I did this one time where a kid got his shoe laces tangled in a moving escalator, the mom didn't know what was going on as she kept walking up the escalator, mean while the kid was down and the bottom of the stairway not being able to move... I walked by, leaned down and had cut the shoe string without breaking stride and was on my happy way before the mom even knew what was going on..

11. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

Funny story Bill, thanks for posting.

I actually ordered a couple of Spyderco's yesterday. I decided to go out and visit a few stores where they had several different kinds of knives. The thumb studs worked best initially but after messing with the spyderco's for about 15 minutes or so (to the annoyance of the guy behind the counter) they started to feel pretty natural and I could see that there were advantages to that design in the long run.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Jason

12. Brock

Brock Asha'man

It depends on the knife. Most of the knives I've had have the stud on both sides of the blade, or in the case of the Emerson blades the disk on the spine of the blade that allow it to be opened with either hand.

13. Imua Kuntao

Imua Kuntao New Member

Yes, your right, however, I used to own such a knife and it got snagged on my pants pocket more often than naught.

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hmmmm, I haven't had that problem but it's not hard for me to imagine it happening!