Thieves robbed homes based on FB posts

Discussion in 'The Den' started by Carol, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Recent story from my city:

http://www.wmur.com/r/24943582/detail.html

Thieves used Facebook and other social networking sites to determine when their victims would not be home....and burglarized the homes accordingly.

2. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

That is the risk you run while using FB, Twitter, etc.

3. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

This is why everyone should go into their privacy settings in FB and disable the "where am I" function for yourself and for others to place you at locations. Also, repeatedly announcing your life on Twitter is just setting yourself up for this sort of thing...

4. Carol

Its a manageable risk.

I post when I go hiking...sometimes down to the exact trail. I also post when I get back safely off the trail and back someplace that at least has cell coverage. If I go out and don't come back, at least someone will have an idea of where to find me...or what's left of me.

5. jwinch2

jwinch2 Member

You could tell three friends you trust where you are going and what time you should be back and accomplish the same thing without broadcasting it to a thousand people you don't know. You are also telling people who may not like you or wish you harm exactly where you will be, that you might be alone, and that you will be in a secluded area.

6. Carol

Broadcasting to a thousand people one doesn't know is likely someone that adds contacts indiscriminately and/or doesn't properly manage the security settings. They are there for a reason.

7. lgabrick

lgabrick New Member

There is a new social networking site that checks your phone in to places where you are at. This lets your friends(and anyone else) know where you are at all times. This is super creepy. I don't think security on the internet is evolving as fast as information sharing. I try to avoid putting my information about anything on the internet because you never know when someone will take advantage of it.