The Weapons that Made Britain.

Discussion in 'Misc. Sword Arts' started by arnisador, Jan 10, 2006.

1. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

The Chakram (or Chackrum or Chackram or Chackra) is a metal ring that has been used as a throwing device by the Sikhs of India for many hundreds of years. The Sikhs became martial under Guru Govind Singh and used the Chackra effectively against the Moghul dynasty. The Chackrum has a history that is as old as Indian civilization itself. It's useage is embedded in Indian myth and legend. In the epics..the Mahabharata for instance...an asura trying to get heavenly nectar from the moon had his head chakra-ed off. Still he tries to swallow the moon and succeeds ever so often before the moon escapes through the cut neck...an eclipse myth. Sculptures and paintings of many gods and godesses show the chakra being twirled.

"In my youth there were people who practiced with different versions and sizes...twirling. throwing overhand and underhand. In the thrities and forties street thugs threw little chakras overhand and underhand in Calcutta." - Joy Chaudhuri

A small Chakrum is called a Quoit. The following illustrations show how the Quoit is thrown and how it can be ornately decorated. Sometimes the Quoit is inlaid with Silver or Gold. Often it is plain or has small incised decorations. The Quoit was often worn as part of a warrior's armour for decorative purposes.
    [​IMG]
    The Quoit is generally 6 to 8 inches in diameter. It has a razor sharp edge and was thrown by twirling it around the warrior's index finger which was tucked in for the release. The Quoit was accurately thrown 60 to 100 metres. Two forms of the metal throwing ring exist. Chakkar Sada has a smooth and sharp outer edge. Chakkar Katavdar had a serrated outer edge.

I found this up in my closet while I waslooking for info on the Sumatran throwing disk. Still haven't watched the Chakram episod yet, have no idea if this little detail was on there. The Central Asian influences are so obvious the SEAMA systems, that's why I have such a huge interest in them.

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I wonder if we can make one and try it out? I was surprised how fast and hard they were able to throw it on the show--I thought it'd be too light for that.

3. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Do you want to start out with an aluminum a trainer so that we don't get cut trying out our new toys? I can get the aluminum for nothing and we can ask Brian Ridout to cut them out with his laser cutter. When I was going to ISU back in the 80's, yeas back in the 80's, there were a couple of guys I knew that used them in a similar fashion as the "wind and fire wheels" in Tai Ji. But those Chakrams were more than 5/8 of an inch on the iside diameter. Easy to get a grip on. One of the guys names was Pater, he was a student/graduate instructor under Dr. Jimbo & Dr. Heath. Dr. Heath used to teach at ISU and Rose-Hulman, Dr. Jimbo is teaching at Ivy Tech now too. I think I am going to stop by there next week some time after I heal up a little more. ISU was a martial and cultural haven back in the 80's since one of the only two international exchange offices was located on Cherry St. across the street from campus. That's how I met my first Silat instructor, Tony Teo from Sarawak, Malaysia.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I heard that ISU used to be very active! It'd fun to try them--and starting with a trainer would be smart!

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I copied several of these posts on the chakram to a new thread.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin