The Weapons that Made Britain.

Discussion in 'Misc. Sword Arts' started by arnisador, Jan 10, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The Weapons That Made Iceland? (Seen on N.C.)

Viking sword fighting practiced in Iceland

Web site here.

2. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

I always enjoy this series when I toss it in. The episode with bucklers gave me some ideas to play with.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I didn't know it was out on DVD. It's a good series.

4. Apollo

Apollo Administrator

AFAIK it's not out commercially at the moment.

5. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Yeah. And you do NOT want to be on the receiving end of that!! :D

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Seen on MT.

I enjoyed this German longsword technique:

[yt]Y3DhjFUOG6Y[/yt]

7. Silence_sucks

Silence_sucks New Member

Some of those techniques remind me alot of the kali staff work.

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Especially in the second half of the clip, I was strongly reminded of FMA! There's nothing new under the sun.

9. Gilla

Gilla -== Banned ==-

A friend of mine Guro and Akido teacher James Berkley say's it's all one art.
    Eddie

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

11. Armorer

Armorer New Member

video of technique

[FONT=&quot]Those all look like great techniques except a bit too much focus on waiting for the other person to attack. Often times one would need to attack first in a real sword fight.
    Also in many of those instances the person being countered could have simply stepped backward instead of freezing up or he could have changed the angle of the initial strike during the attack in order to get the opponent to counter the wrong thing. For example I have found a strike to the ribs can be made to look almost exactly like an overhead strike to the head but the same counter will not work for both.

I've found during actual sparring that most attempts to quickly step aside from a strike result in the opponent simply changing the angle of their attack to match the step.

Grabbing the opponents weapon can be a good idea if he lets you do it without him also grabbing yours. One time I remember grabbing my opponents weapon haft just as he also grabbed mine. We then simultaneously went for our back up clubs tucked in our belts and struck each others helms at the same instant to the amusement of the onlookers.

One thing I know for sure is waiting around too much for the other guy to attack first allows his team mates to gang up on you if their are any.
    In my opinion it's best to attack first about 50 % of the time in order to keep the opponent guessing.[/FONT]

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I assumed that was for demonstration purposes, so I didn't give it much thought. Of course, seizing the initiative is so very important!

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Posted on MartialTalk.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=886065#post886065

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

News story on Olympic fencing.

The legacy of British swordfighters lives on:

East End youngsters competing with the best

15. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

[​IMG]

Now it may not be a gentlemanly weapon like the sword..but the old fashioned Millwall Bat has clobbered more than a few..LOL...one would be amazed at the efficiency of good old newspaper...a soccer hooligans dream!

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

There are some free downloads of various Western martial arts books here (and cheap print versions for sale too), courtesy of Kirk Lawson:
    http://stores.lulu.com/lawson

17. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Darth Vindicatus Supporting Member

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Mike Loades is now appearing in "Weapon Masters" as well. I started watching an episode last night on an Indian circular knife and it seems interesting!

19. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

I watch the Military Cannel all the time as I drift off to sleep but never did stumble across Weapon Masters. Pretty cool....... Saw the episode on blow guns last night and I am already hooked. The Sumatrans also has a circular throwing knife used in ancient times I read about in an old Chinese chronicle. Anyone have any idea what it was/is called and/or what it looks like?

20. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Doesn't ring a bell! I taped the blow gun ep. but am still only halfway through the chakram ep. Mike Loades is very interesting even in something like this with a bit of a "reality show" twist to it!