The "Walking Stick" Method of Self Defense

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by MSTCND, Oct 10, 2006.

1. MSTCND

MSTCND New Member

One of the Members over on FMA Forum posted this LINK to a website that is hosting a PDF file entitled...

The "Walking Stick" Method of Self Defense

An Officer in the Indian Police wrote the text in 1923...

I managed to stuff all 73-pages into a MASSIVE 30MB PDF file... so, if anyone wants a copy... shoot me an email through FMAT... Be sure to include a valid email (preferably Cable or DSL)...

Best Regards,

Andy

P.S. As this text is 83-years old... my assumption is that there are no worries of copyright infringement...

2. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

30 MB is a huge honking file. That's a file size that would risk mucking up your e-mail server on the way out and the recipient's e-mail server on the way in.

If that is something that could be FTP'ed to Arnisador or Apollo, perhaps they can take a look at it to see if it is worth posting here for download :)

3. MSTCND

MSTCND New Member

Evening, Carol...

Yeah... well, it's 29.6 MB... but still! hehehe

If they like what they find on that link... I can always send it off to them via sendthisfile.com or something...

Have a great night!

Andy

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I've seen it before. It looks bartitsu-influenced to me! I find it of great historical interest.

5. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Very interesting...thanks for the link!

6. lklawson

lklawson New Member

Now available from Lulu.

http://www.lulu.com/content/517076

PDF download is free.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. lklawson

lklawson New Member

Maybe yes.

Lang published his manual well after the Bartitsu club closed, by 2 decades or so.

Lang specifies that a primary source for his material was "Vigui" which is almost certainly Professor Pierre Vigny.

Vigny taught at Barton-Wright's (B-W) school. As with the other instructors there, B-W brought Vigny in specifically to teach his stick art for integration into Bartitsu. So there is an immediate link between Lang's Walkingstick Method and Bartitsu; via Vigny.

But the plot thickens. There is an article by an English Officer to India who names himself "Liang" who published while the Bartitsu Club was still in opperation and detailed his training at the Bartitsu club. Hmmm... Lang, Liang... Tantalizing. At the Bartitsu Society we're still trying to get ahold of a copy of Liang's article.

Glad you guys liked Lang's manual.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I see it is mentioned here! It's nice to see people trying to preserve such traditions.

9. chiangmaiheadman

chiangmaiheadman New Member

I downloaded this book myself from another website about a year ago. It is very interesting. I do the exercises in the book with a bamboo walking stick which is probably too heavy to use the techniques in the book for self defense but they are very good exercise.

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

How do the techniques compare to other stick-fighting/stick-fencing techniques you are familiar with?

11. chiangmaiheadman

I am no expert really and have not studied Filipino martial arts, but it seems to me the biggest difference between the walking stick method in the Indian police book and other styles I have seen is that in this system you most always strike with the stick higher than your head. This is why I say the bamboo stick I have is sort of big and heavy for these techniques, which are made for a light stick like an Indian lahti. But with the big stick the techniques are good exercise.

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I know what you mean and does seem to be European style to emphasize those high hits.

13. chiangmaiheadman

www.the-exiles.org has the manual and you can read it without downloading it as it is a very large file.

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Trailer for an upcoming Bartitsu documentary taht is trading on the Sherlock Holmes movie:
    [yt]ZDNaC-2HW-A[/yt]