The twelve commisioned Instructor of GM Velez

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by Wilson, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Wilson

Wilson New Member

(Quote from the original message of Mr. Langgaw sent to me in private)

Mr Ceniza,
    Your input is very informative and interesting. I know Cebu is the heart of arnis activities in the Visayan region. I have a few questions though. What happened to the eleven subgroups? Do you still interact with them through gatherings or tournaments? Who are the heads of the other groups. Are they using colors to identify their group?. I am just surprised that no one responded to you input back there. I think they are focused more on the issue of weight distribution but I am interested with the rich history of your group/style.

Nagtahud gyud,

Langgaw :sword2:

Again, please do not reply to this email. You must go to the following page to reply to this private message:
    http://www.fmatalk.com/private.php

Hello Mr. Langgaw,

First of all I thank you for reading my post. Here is the complete list of the twelve disciples of Grandmaster Teofilo Velez whom he commissioned to teach and spread out the Teovel Balintawak’s way of fighting.

1. Chito Velez ? Green Chapter Club division
    2. Monie Velez ? Blue Chapter
    3. Eddie Velez - Violet Chapter
    4. Nick Elizar ? White Chapter
    5. Winnie de la Rosa ? Brown Chapter
    6. Romeo de la Rosa ? Black Chapter
    7. Nonato (Nene) Gaabucayan ? Gold Yellow Chapter
    8. Faustino (Tonying) Patalinghug ? Purple Black Chapter
    9. Bobby Elizar ? Orange Chapter
    10. Joe Cavan ? Pink Chapter
    11. Bobby Taboada Red Chapter and
    12. Teofilo V. Roma my teacher assigned the Yellow Chapter.

The Mandaue City chapter club was coded in color yellow and was bearing the name as the Teovel Balintawak Self-defense Club Incorporated. It was assigned to Teofilo V. Roma, as he is a resident in the area. Monie Velez was coded in color blue assigned in Guadalupe Cebu City, Bobby Elizar in Labangon orange, Joe Cavan pink chapter in Inglis, Gm Pacito (Chito) Velez green chapter was assigned in Barrio Bulacao, Talisay City after he married and established residence in the area but now move to his new house in Barrio Lawaan also in Talisay City. Eddie Velez violet chapter in Central Cebu City, Nick Elizar white chapter assigned in Cabantan, Barrio Luz, Cebu City Wennie de la Rosa brown assigned in YMCA, Cebu City and Antonio (Tonying) Patalinghug purple black a resident in Mactan Island Cebu was assigned in Lapu-lapu City. Nonato (Nene) Gaabucayan gold yellow chapter was assigned in Lapu-lapu then transfer to Cagayan de Oro City his home province but he moved to Germany and lately to the U.S.A.. Romeo de la Rosa black migrated to Reno, Nevada, U.S.A. and established a branch club there, but recently returned home, I see him personally when visited us in our gym in one occasion.

Bobby Taboada assigned the red chapter club in absentia as he went to New Zealand in 1979 three years before the formal establishment of the Teovel Balintawak Arnis Group in 1982. That was then before he moved to Australia and eventually to North Carolina, U.S.A. I heard about Bobby Elizar and Joe Cavan’s Chapter clubs were merging with the white chapter headed by Nick Elizar. Monnie and Eddie Velez were teaching in private. During our founding anniversary the previous year of April 17, 2005, Chito, Tonying Patalinghug and Dr. Marapao were attending while others were only sending messages. Chito on that occasion requested us to make some check-up of our student and we let him do the check-up. Eddie Velez frequently visited us even without occasions. Bobby Taboada visited us in our gym last Nov. 26, 2005 upon his visit in the Philippines, accompanying with him was Rick Mithchell one of his Master Instructors. The following year last April 17, 2006 only Eddie Velez was attending while the other did not attend for some different reasons, but our celebration was very successful. I hope that in the coming year (April 17, 2007) on the occassion of our Silver Anniversary Foundation celebration, the twlelve original commisioned teacher of Gm Teofilo Velez of the Teovel Balintawak Arnis will all be gathering in fellowship here in the Philippines, together with their respective master Instructors. I am excited to meet all the Masters of the Teovel Balintawak Arnis in the whole world.

Regards,

Wilson R. Ceniza

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

A gathering of all twelve this year! That must be very exciting.

3. langgaw

langgaw New Member

Mr Ceniza,
    Thank you for the reply and detailed that came with it. I really thought the inquiry was just brushed aside. I have been waiting for this historical facts and am more glad that you have shared this to the FMA community. Keep the info pouring in for all to know. It is an honor for us here at the FMAtalK (Arnisador, if I may) to learn of the facts from the source itself. I am more than happy to know that there is a move to regroup and gather for old times sake and update everyone about everyone having similar interest. My FMA teacher is also from Mandaue and has been practicing their own art privately but had supported other systems in the shadows. Currently they have openly supported Yawyan Cebu. I had called him right away and informed him of your planned event. I am wondering if you can welcome him and his brother to this occasison. Right now they are in the states and I know they will be as excited as you to meet these 12 Instructors. My teacher does not have titles or belts or public records that identify them as FMAers with system but I can honestly say they are one of a kind. They will surely take the time to meet their fellow "bisaya"........at least being bisaya will keep them from being out of place. Best to you all.

Nagtahud,
    Langgaw

4. teovel'sBalintawak

teovel'sBalintawak New Member

Master Wilson,

Do you have any plans to video some of your footage? As you can see in www.youtube.com there are a lot of lineage showing up. This coming march master Zack Taco is going home to cebu and I ask him to take a footage of the Velez brothers. Hopefully things will workout well as plan. For me it is nice to show the world how the Velez lineage of Balitawak looks like.

Kanimong Matinahuron,

Teovel'Balintawak

5. langgaw

langgaw New Member

Mr Ceniza,

If I may ask, How are you related to Mano Okit Ceniza of Bakilid, Mandaue. The reason I ask is my teachers told me that Mano Okit used to play knife games with Iti Boring of Asinan, Mandaue. They said Mano Okit and Iti Boring enjoys each others style. Best.

6. teovel'sBalintawak

Langgaw,

Is Mano Okit Ceniza related to Noy Goyong Ceniza ? I visited him in 1997 with the late Rene Capangpangan and our friend Epifanio " Yuli" Romo. Noy Goyong's knife fighting teaching method is very systematic and very deadly. He lives in Maguikay,Mandaue.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  7. teovel'sBalintawak

Yuli Romo of Kali Ilustrisimo is the grandson of the great Islao Romo. A very respected eskrimador in his own right.

8. Soncen

Soncen Teovel Balintawak

Mano Okit's blood relationship to the Ceniza's

Hello Mr. Langgaw,

I think you are referring to Mano Okit Albano the teacher to my distant Uncle Gregorio (Goyong) Ceniza. Mano Okit is also a relative to the Ceniza Clan in Mandaue City.

Iti Boring Heyrosa was a student to Vidal Sungahid. Sungahid’s teacher was Ingko Pedong Ouano the former Mayor of Mandaue City who also happens to be student to Anciong Bacon.

Mano Okit Albano a student to a certain Simo also trained with Noy Anciong Bacon the inventor of the Balintawak Arnis.

Wilson R. Ceniza

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

As an aside, at one point Prof. Presas appointed 'commissioners' of his Balintawak-derived art Modern Arnis. I believe that administrative structure was later dropped, though.

10. langgaw

langgaw New Member

Arnisador, thanks for this info. Too sad it did not go through otherwise it would have propagatedthe system more.

Master Wilson, I stand corrected as I had verified from my teachers. Okit Albanio is right name (not Okit Ceniza) and Iti Gregorio (Goyong) Ceniza is the relative of the Mano Okit. Ang mga relatives of my teachers are the Cenizas, Del Castillos, Mendozas, Cortes's, Ople's and the Ouanos of Mandaue and others in the used to be town of Mandaue ( now a city). Most likely you may be realted to them.

I think you are referring to Mano Okit Albano the teacher to my distant Uncle Gregorio (Goyong) Ceniza. Mano Okit is also a relative to the Ceniza Clan in Mandaue City. According to my teachers, Iti Boring disclosed before he died that his training as directly from Iti Anciong and Nene Rosales. He never mentioned about Mang Vidal or Ingko Pedong. I have yet to verify that again so I wont get too confused or misinformed. But according to the mother of my teacher who is still living, that Iti Boring who used to drop by their house in Sudlon Maguikay, had taught my teachers playfully the art he learned from Iti Anciong (patago kay mauwawon man). He only mentioned the names of Iti Anciong and Manong Nene as his mentors. Being a carpenter, Iti Boring goes about town but always stops by on Sundays to see my teachers parents and play with them (my teachers). Iti Boring however had a group of students which my teachers did not know until later towards his death when they realized that De Cuerdas was also Iti Borings method so they joined that group as new and ordinary enthusiasts. Although Henry,(Titing the son and current GM of De Cuerdas) knew that my teachers play with Iti Boring. Also Ingko Pedong Is the classmate of my teachers mama. According to her and Mang Vidal were once students of Iti Anciong but as playmates of the late Iti Boring (not their student).

Mano Okit Albano a student to a certain Simo also trained with Noy Anciong Bacon the inventor of the Balintawak Arnis.

This is very true. BTW, what does your middle initial stand for? Keep us informed of our rich history. Thanks again.

Langgaw

11. Soncen

Soncen Teovel Balintawak

Hello Mr. Langgaw,

It’s nice to hear something from you, your information might also be true and it is very possible; as for me, I only heard the story from my teacher Teofilo V. Roma.

Those family names you’ve mentioned were all a relative to the Ceniza clan, my mother’s maiden name is a Rodinas from Sibonga town of Cebu in the south.

I guess you’re also a Cebuano like me because you speak my language, but your family name seems to be American. Hope to hear something about you more if you won’t mind!!!

Wilson Rodinas Ceniza

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  12. langgaw

langgaw New Member

mate teovel's Balintawak,
    Yuli Romo is a very well known figure in our region. No doubt on his skills and character.

Master Wilson,
    How can I get in touch with you in private? not that I want o hide anything but just a lenghty talk on news back home. I am in the buffalo area in NY and will be some time before I will have a chance to go back to Cebu.
    BTW how did you know of my surname?

13. Soncen

Soncen Teovel Balintawak

I just go over to your public profile.

You can contact me in this #09064365118. Pero magbinisaya lang ta kay di kaayo ko kasugakod ug estorya'g ininglis!!!

Wilson

14. langgaw

langgaw New Member

sure thing.... will call you soon inig gabii diri so it will be aytime over there. I am eager to hear news from home.

15. gold_chapter

gold_chapter Balintawak Eskrima

Hello Mr. Langgaw,

First of all I thank you for reading my post. Here is the complete list of the twelve disciples of Grandmaster Teofilo Velez whom he commissioned to teach and spread out the Teovel Balintawak’s way of fighting.

1. Chito Velez ? Green Chapter Club division
    2. Monie Velez ? Blue Chapter
    3. Eddie Velez - Violet Chapter
    4. Nick Elizar ? White Chapter
    5. Winnie de la Rosa ? Brown Chapter
    6. Romeo de la Rosa ? Black Chapter
    7. Nonato (Nene) Gaabucayan ? Gold Yellow Chapter
    8. Faustino (Tonying) Patalinghug ? Purple Black Chapter
    9. Bobby Elizar ? Orange Chapter
    10. Joe Cavan ? Pink Chapter
    11. Bobby Taboada Red Chapter and
    12. Teofilo V. Roma my teacher assigned the Yellow Chapter.

The Mandaue City chapter club was coded in color yellow and was bearing the name as the Teovel Balintawak Self-defense Club Incorporated. It was assigned to Teofilo V. Roma, as he is a resident in the area. Monie Velez was coded in color blue assigned in Guadalupe Cebu City, Bobby Elizar in Labangon orange, Joe Cavan pink chapter in Inglis, Gm Pacito (Chito) Velez green chapter was assigned in Barrio Bulacao, Talisay City after he married and established residence in the area but now move to his new house in Barrio Lawaan also in Talisay City. Eddie Velez violet chapter in Central Cebu City, Nick Elizar white chapter assigned in Cabantan, Barrio Luz, Cebu City Wennie de la Rosa brown assigned in YMCA, Cebu City and Antonio (Tonying) Patalinghug purple black a resident in Mactan Island Cebu was assigned in Lapu-lapu City. Nonato (Nene) Gaabucayan gold yellow chapter was assigned in Lapu-lapu then transfer to Cagayan de Oro City his home province but he moved to Germany and lately to the U.S.A.. Romeo de la Rosa black migrated to Reno, Nevada, U.S.A. and established a branch club there, but recently returned home, I see him personally when visited us in our gym in one occasion.

Bobby Taboada assigned the red chapter club in absentia as he went to New Zealand in 1979 three years before the formal establishment of the Teovel Balintawak Arnis Group in 1982. That was then before he moved to Australia and eventually to North Carolina, U.S.A. I heard about Bobby Elizar and Joe Cavan’s Chapter clubs were merging with the white chapter headed by Nick Elizar. Monnie and Eddie Velez were teaching in private. During our founding anniversary the previous year of April 17, 2005, Chito, Tonying Patalinghug and Dr. Marapao were attending while others were only sending messages. Chito on that occasion requested us to make some check-up of our student and we let him do the check-up. Eddie Velez frequently visited us even without occasions. Bobby Taboada visited us in our gym last Nov. 26, 2005 upon his visit in the Philippines, accompanying with him was Rick Mithchell one of his Master Instructors. The following year last April 17, 2006 only Eddie Velez was attending while the other did not attend for some different reasons, but our celebration was very successful. I hope that in the coming year (April 17, 2007) on the occassion of our Silver Anniversary Foundation celebration, the twlelve original commisioned teacher of Gm Teofilo Velez of the Teovel Balintawak Arnis will all be gathering in fellowship here in the Philippines, together with their respective master Instructors. I am excited to meet all the Masters of the Teovel Balintawak Arnis in the whole world.

Regards,

Wilson R. Ceniza

[​IMG]

Eddie Velez, Romeo de la Rosa (RIP), Chito Velez, Nick Elizar and Ben Marapao

16. gold_chapter

gold_chapter Balintawak Eskrima

[​IMG]

from left to right is Nonoy Patalinghug, Boy Booc (judo instructor), Nene Gaabucayan, Dr. Marapao, Tonying Patalinghug, Fred Baguio, seated wearing a gi is Boy Baguio (karate instructor), seated wearing a jean jacket is Conrado "Condring" Ybanez (nephew of Tinong Ybanez).

17. Soncen

Soncen Teovel Balintawak

Balintawak Practitioners

Thanks for posting the photographs of the six Grandmasters of the Teovel Balintawak: above are Eddie, Meo, Chito and Nick. Ben Marapao was not teaching but he is an active member to Chito's group.

In the second photograph are Nene Gaabucayan and Tonying Patalinghug. Fred Baguio and Boy Baguio were an active members to Tonying's group.

I hope to post the pictures of the other six Grandmasters (Piloy, Wennie, Joe, Bobby E., Bobby T., and Monie) of the Teovel Balintawak.

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  18. pahhhoul

pahhhoul New Member

Sorry if I am thread jacking, but I just wanted to say that I've had the honor & pleasure of meeting & practicing a bit with Master Rick Mitchell!
    He's a very detailed, humble & generous practitioner of Balintawak as are the other Masters I've had the good fortune of practicing with.

19. armas

armas Junior Member

Rick Mitchell trained with GM Bobby Taboada and with Master Nene Gaabucaya. He has been a long time practitioner of the art of Balintawak. He is a great person and very talented in the fighting arts. He told me his experience with our mentor GM Bob Tabimina. Great guy I have lots of respect for Rick.

20. pahhhoul

pahhhoul New Member

speaking of GM Tabimina, I just trained with him this past Saturday!
    what a terrific and insightful experience it was!