The Name Matters NOT To Me........

Discussion in 'Dekiti Tirsia Siradas' started by R. Mike Snow, Oct 27, 2007.

1. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

I stumbled across an old thread from 1994 on a differnt site with a post from a highly respected and long time FMA practitioner as well as instructor, Guro David Gould. After all of the one sided mudd slinging, I truley feel that this warrior/gentleman, Guro Gould whom sums up GM Tortal best, knowing him for many more years than my self. GM Tortal is described on this post as speaking with his movements and not with his mouth. This is always the way in which I have known GM Nene Tortal since day one, both in friendship and in business. GM Nene Tortal is not only the finest all around fighter and instructor I have ever been acquainted with, but a fine Christian gentleman whom speaks negatively of no one and is always giving, expecting nothing in return. As well as demanding the same type of conduct from each individual in his organization. I did a little my own " research", asking other long time FMA practitioner about GM Nene Tortal's talents before meeting GM and beginning my DTS journey. Always glt the same answer, when it comes to the blade and empty hand, "Nene Tortal really knows his stuff". As well as my primary reason for posting this thread. This post somewhat explains the "D" vs. "P" contreversy. Which explains the difference the same way I was told by GM Nene Tortal.

I also wanted to commend Guro Gould for being nonpolitical and straight to the point on every post, not just on the thread I am speaking of.
    http://www.defend.net/deluxeforums/showthread.php?t=13530

Respectfully, Mike Snow

2. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, that is indeed a very informative post (from 2004, not 1994)! I think I've read it before. Bottom line, it's good that there's at least some difference in the names of the two arts.

3. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

I must say that enjoyed reading that

4. NubreedKaliSilat

NubreedKaliSilat New Member

Dekiti vs. Pekiti

I have trained in both arts with Grand master Nene and also with Grand Tuhon Gaje Jr. Both men are skilled practitioners of the Filipino arts. There is no question as to the knowledge of these two men. But with any family art their is in-fighting, when one does not see things in the same way as the others. I would like to go on record that I train in many styles and systems of FMA and have the same attitude that Guro Inosanto and his son -in law my Instructor in Inosanto Blend Kali Ron Balicki in that no art has all the answers to every situation some are great blade arts, single stick art, empty hand arts. If I am to become a practitioner of a bag of this and that mixed with whatever thrown in then that is my way. Some say that it is not a pure art of FMA. But what did most FMA practitioners do in history they took what they learned and what they learned from others, coming from being in a match, tournament or just sharing. I have heard of stories of Grand Tuhon gaje working close with Pendekar Eddie Jari and Guro Inosanto to make up Maphilindo Silat. You don't think that by that friendship that things was not traded between them all and added to each others personal arts, Grand master nene trained with many instructors learning disarming techniques and added them to the system. We all work to grow and become better at what we do in life. I have been targeted by people for training in both systems and using what I feel would work for me. Now, I was told I can't swing a stick, and before I was called a real Jedi warrior for my skills. My goals are to learn everything I can about the arts that will make me who I am, not what someone thinks I should be. Nubreed

5. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

Guro Ben,

We have had correspondance in the past. What I know is this, "It is what it is and we are what we are." You are a great martial artist and you like myself have learned from at least 2 different systems. It is the sum of the parts that make up the whole. If we could all get along, we would learn from each other. I keep the 2 arts seperate. I teach Dikiti as Dikiti and Sina Tirsia Wali as itself. Because as I understand it, that is how the Masters want it and I respect their wishes. I love both of the arts and I mix them with Shaolin Kung Fu when I fight. I cannot seperate any of it on the spur of the moment while fighting. As you know, what we practice comes out when we fight.

God Bless,
    Guro Stephen
    SKS Martial Systems

6. Kali Cowboy

Kali Cowboy New Member

I just read the post by Guro Gould and he shed light on this subject for me. I thank him for it.

God Bless,
    Guro Stephen

7. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

In the end it is all just movement...the intent is what truly matters...salaam!

8. JunFanFighter

JunFanFighter New Member

Being primarily a JunFan, WT/Kali practitioner Ive always adapted the philosophy of 'Absorb what is useful' in regards to what I find that may work for me personally, irregardless of style. And as a newbie to the understandings of DT/PT I'd just like to thank Mr. Snow for his help in helping teach and show me some of the basics of the DT system that GM Tortal has developed, and I look forward to learning more.

9. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Hello Frank,

My apologies for not being in touch. Becoming a full-time college student again has really taken up more time than I originally thought.

GM Nene would refuse to take credit for developing all of the techniques for we covered though, since they were developed over centuries. Although being the smallest boy in his family as a child had a lot to do with refining his grappling techniques. Having so many big brothers and the occasional bully even after surviving a world war, I am sure enhanced GM Nene's obsession with combat and martial sport skills.

This Saturday morning is good for me........ Matt's coming in from Indy and maybe even Ralph from Robinson, IL.

God Bless, Mike

10. JunFanFighter

JunFanFighter New Member

No apology necessary my friend, as well I hit you up in private on hooking up. It does indeed sound as though it is an art I could get immersed in, also being my ground skills are not that great I would welcome learning anything to enhance them. Peace!

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Are you guys working out tomorrow morning? What's up?

12. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Y'all need to move East ;)

13. NubreedKaliSilat

NubreedKaliSilat New Member

I just love feeling all of love coming from this forum the family in here is nice to have. God bless you all my brothers and sister's in DTS. Nubreed