The Men Who Stare at Goats.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by arnisador, Nov 22, 2009.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I went to see this film tonight and really enjoyed it. I knew the book it was based on discussed the late Hwa Rang Do expert and Special Forces sergeant Michael Echanis in some detail. I remember getting his "secret" knife-fighting, knife-defense, and stick-fighting books in the 1970s.

The movie featured a brief scene on a character based on him (seen only in flashback). It was a comedy and so it was played for humor. Among other things, the character developed his own knife-fighting style that involved leaping at the opponent in an almost pro-wrestling style flying press, a knife in either hand.

There were several other martial arts related bits, including dim mak used by another character. Anyway, I found it a quite funny movie overall and definitely recommend it!

Attached Files:

2. silat1

silat1 Active Member

You need to check out www.worldkungfu.com for a more in line reference to the men who stare at goats movie.. It is based on some stuff that a martial artist did with the S.E.R.E. class after Michael Echanis was killed in 1978... Look through the website and then review on what you saw in the movie..

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yeah, I understand that part of the deal in the book--which I haven't read--is that the author is originally told that Michael Echanis was the goat-starer but comes to learn later on that it was Guy Savelli. But I'm pretty sure the movie's "Ben Echmeyer" was based on Michael Echanis. The emphasis on his knife-fighting system and saying he was the only American master of an obscure Korean art (with a made-up name) just fits too well.