The Human Weapon on the History Channel.

Discussion in 'FMA in the News' started by arnisador, Jul 18, 2007.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

2. Segi

Segi New Member

Human Weapon on History channel

This was very informative! An excellent show. Cant wait for this Friday's episode as the focus will be Kali/ escrima.

3. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

The Muy Thai epidsode was great. Really looking forward to the FMA espisode. Gonna be travelling so'll I'll have to record it. :(

4. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I hope they will be re-running these episodes. I really liked what I saw of the Muay Thai episode but I missed a little bit of it due to work stuff. Looking forward Escrima being spotlighted.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The Eskrima episode shows this Friday 27 July on the History Channel! It repeats throughout the week, and there are also more showings of the Muay Thai episode throughout the coming week. (I taped it but haven't watched it yet!) I'm excited to see it. Karate is next after Eskrima.

6. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

This is tonight at 10 pm, eastern time.

7. Brian R. VanCise

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. [​IMG]

8. garland

garland New Member

Yes, it was very good. I like that they showed the caribou wrestling (definitely not something too many arts are doing nowadays!) and the fact that they chose not to use padding for their stickfight at the end. Adds a little bit of believability to the art, especially when you tell someone about it and they just look at you wide eyed like you're talking out a different orifice.

Overall very good. I'd have liked to have seen kombaton, balintewak or modern arnis but I guess I'm biased :) .. can't go wrong with doce pares though.

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Exposure for one of the the Filipino arts is good for all of them!

I haven't watched the episode yet.

10. junior eskrimador

junior eskrimador Expect the Unexpected

I agree with Arnisador but some martial artist still has a one minded view. He qouted, "Today, 08:01 AM
    CARP [​IMG] vbmenu_register("postmenu_14046", true);

[​IMG] Human Weapon -- History Channel
    I am sure many of you watched the episode last night. Of course, I would have liked to have seen more time devoted to PTK and less of the other stuff, but it was good to see Grand Tuhon, Rommel Tortal and the Force Recon Marine cadre.

I just wish someone could to a better job at creating a documentary that really shows the history and essence of FMA (particularly PTK), rather than doing a hokey reality show format. At minimum, I would have liked to have seen Tuhon, Rommel or one of the Force Recon Marines put the real hurt on one of the hosts. "Do that little twirly rolldown with that stick one more time pretty boy and I will let the fingers do the walking." Those guys have no idea.

Each time I see stickfighting footage like this, I cringe at the thought of how ineffective/dangerous it would be to train like this. No footwork, no real concept of range, horrible sticking mechanics and angles, and so on. It would just not work against the blade (or anyone that has been trained by GT, Tim, etc.).

I thank God everyday that I found GT Gaje, Tim et al and PTK...

I'm disappointed from comments like this but Arnisador has a better comment.

11. tswolfman

tswolfman Member

I agree i would have liked to see modern arnis or kombatian but they did have a balintewak master in the show about half way thru

12. junior eskrimador

Just my personal opinion. Maybe the production company contacted several FMA organization in R.P. and only those that were shown agreed. Lots of 'blah, blah, blah' about this FMA art should been shown more then this. The point of the History Channel on Eskrima was the history behind it. If you guys were listening they said that all styles was used not just one. I don't care what FMA style people has learn just the idea that part of the Filipino culture is being past down to the next person.

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Well, that was posted in the PTK forum to PTKers. I think a little enthusiasm for one's own art is OK. I'd like to see more Modern Arnis on TV, personally!

14. CARP

CARP New Member

Sorry to disappoint you Junior. Maybe you should think about where that was posted. We would have like to have seen a better job done. No real credit given to Grand Tuhon, mispronunciations to name a few. Maybe that's just it. You weren't thinking.

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Please, keep the discussion polite and respectful.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

16. junior eskrimador

Carp with you having 20 plus years in martial arts I would expect that person be more respectful to othr systems. As I was told it was encourage to explore other system. Yes, the post was for PTker's but after reading the post I had to defend the other system. I haven't seen a post in other section about their system not having a part or mentioned in the show.

I believe all FMA has great skills. Each one has something to offer each other. I am not here to disrecpt or involve myself in FMA politics. There are enough of that going on right now. I am here to involve myself in the FMA culture. Learn more history, knowledge, skill by other practitioners and systems.

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I have attended seminars in a wide variety of FMAs. There's always something to pick up. We all like what we study, else we wouldn't stick with it--but these arts are so intertwined that much of the technique in one system is found in another. Some have better ways of training it or tying it together, but most will have something to offer.

I can think of very specific things I have picked up from seminars and cross-training in Sayoc Kali, Inosanto-Lacoste Kali, PTK, DTS, Lameco, Balintawak, Kombatan, Eskrido (Doce Pares), and the Garcia family system, just off the top of my head. This is stuff I use constantly.

I am taping a rerun of this show tonight so I'll have more to say after that, I'm sure; but for now, I'm glad to hear that they showed a few different types of Filipino arts. It's all good for the FMAs!

18. Brian R. VanCise

Like Arnisador I enjoy training with a wide variety of instructor's even if they deviate from my training which is blade oriented. I look for the little kernels of wisdom that many of the older instructors have. That is always a good time! [​IMG]

19. CARP

CARP New Member

Wrong, again.

I am not sure it really gave FMA a good name. How could it? Travel to a few different masters, learn a few techniques and speak as though that is going to prepare you to fight a 5 time champion. The guy suggested he had a chance to defeat him. Talk about disrepectful. Actually, it was laughable. Those two guys couldn't hold a stick to anyone of the masters on the show. Give me a break.

As for Junior Eskrimador, you feel like you need to defend other systems? Funny, I did not even mention a system. That is hardly disrespectful. Since you go by the handle "Junior", I am going to assume you are new to this and cut you some slack.

It irks me to see people standing in front of each other doing drills that they won't even be able to apply in a fight. Most of the footage involved and assumed use of the baston. While the baston can be a weapon, it is the blade that makes FMA what it is. They should have spent more time talking about it.

It was a disappointment. But, if nothing else, it was nice to see some people I know and the beauty of the Philippines.

20. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yeah, the reality show aspect is pretty annoying to those of us who are martial artists, but I suppose it's what sells the show to a general audience. You can't escape commercial realities. :(

I agree that the "challenge" part of it seems somewhat disrespectful, but again, I suppose that's part of the price we pay for getting a show like this at all--it has to be sold as a game show.

For the reasons above, I understand why--it lets them get the "game" aspect in. Of course, as a Modern Arnis player, I come from a heavily stick-oriented system and so while I agree that the FMAs are primarily blade-oriented, for me this works just fine!