The Food Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by gold_chapter, May 23, 2007.

1. gold_chapter

gold_chapter Balintawak Eskrima

Adobo is the Spanish word for seasoning or marinade. The noun form is used to describe the actual marinade or seasoning mix, and the term used for a meat which has been marinated or seasoned with an adobo is referred to having been adobada.

[​IMG]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobo

Adobo is also a term used as the name for a common dish in the Philippines, typically made from pork or chicken or a combination of both. It is slow-cooked in soy sauce, vinegar, crushed garlic, bay leaf, and black peppercorns, and often browned in the oven or pan-fried afterwards to get the desirable crisped edges. This dish originates from the northern region of the Philippines.

After training we usually have adobo and Filipino style spaghetti!!!

2. Ventura

Ventura -== Banned ==-

Filipino style spaghetti...

You mean noodles with ketsup and some ground beef or meat balls?

3. gold_chapter

Oh yeah, we love halo halo too, after eating Filipino style spaghetti.

Halo-halo (from Tagalog halo, "mix") is a popular Filipino dessert that is a mixture of shaved ice, milk, and sugar, to which is added various sweet beans and fruits, and generally served cold in a tall glass.

[​IMG]

There is no specific recipe for this dessert, and a wide variety of ingredients are used. The order in which the ingredients are added varies widely, but generally it is mixed together prior to serving. Primary ingredients include red mung beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, sugar palm fruit (kaong), coconut sport (macapuno), and plantains. Other components may include jackfruit (langka), star apple, tapioca or sago, nata de coco, purple yam (ube) or sweet potato (kamote), sweetened corn kernels or pounded crushed rice (pinipig), flan or custard, and gelatin. Other fruits, such as papayas, avocados, kiwifruit, bananas, or cherries, may also be added. Some preparations also include ice cream on top of the halo-halo.

Generally, condensed milk or evaporated milk is used instead of fresh milk, due to the tropical climate of the Philippines.

http://www.filipinofoodrecipes.net/spaghetti.htm

1 kg. spaghetti noodles
    1/2 kg. ground beef
    1/2 kg. ground pork
    1/4 kg. hotdogs, diagonally sliced
    1 kg. tomato sauce
    3 pieces laurel leaves (bay leaves)
    1/4 cup brown or white sugar
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    2 onions, chopped
    1 head garlic, minced
    3 tablespoons of cooking oil
    1 cup of water
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup grated cheese

4. Spaghetti with ground pork and HOT DOGS with a bit of sugar... just like how mom makes it!... hahaha... sorry to say, i don't like spaghetti from italy where the noodles are half cooked... but that is just me, i guess we overcooked the noodles... Italian noodles are hard OR SHOULD I SAY CHINESE NOODLES?... ;p

C.

5. gold_chapter

There are hundreds of recipes for Filipino menudo. Many of our Lolas (from the Spanish abuela, grandmothers) are very willing to share their recipes, some like to keep it a secret, only to be passed on to their daughters, and grand-daughters. But most are very open and friendly, so I'm sure you'll be able to get quite many styles of Filipino Menudo Alacarte.

Whatever recipe you prefer, it makes great merienda especially during a rainy day.

Good luck on your trip to Cebu City, I'm sure you'll enjoy all sorts of Filipino Menudo.

Also try the Mangoes, there are no purer mangoes than in Cebu, the best in the west.

[​IMG]

(the yellow ones you eat w/ bud-bud, and the green ones, not yet ripe, eat with hipon. we too have all sorts of mangoes in the philippines, but the ones from cebu are the purest & best quality)

6. gold_chapter

We absolutely did not understand your Coke and Coconut comparative analogy, but yes Coconut juice is the best and the purest. Coconut juice w/ buko pie for merienda, then maybe a Mango shake.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  7. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I have never met a buko pie Ihaven't liked...if you ever get a chance to go to The Original Buko Pie bakery on national highway near Calamba do so you will not regret it....this place has great buko pie have it with a good cup of strong Filipino coffee with milo and presto..HEAVEN!

8. gold_chapter

Philippine cuisine has evolved over several centuries, influenced by Malay, Mexican, Spanish, Chinese, Indian and American cooking.
    Filipinos traditionally eat three main meals a day - almusal/pamahaw (breakfast), tanghalian/pani-udto (lunch), and hapunan/panihapun (dinner) plus an afternoon snack called merienda.

Dishes range from a simple meal of fried fish and rice to rich paellas and cocidos. Popular dishes include lechón (whole roasted pig, root of leche for suckling pig), longanisa (native sausage), tapa (beef jerky), torta (omelette), adobo (chicken and/or pork braised in garlic, soy sauce, and vinegar), kaldereta (goat in tomato stew), mechado (beef or pork cooked in tomato sauce, pochero (beef in bananas and tomato sauce), afritada (chicken cooked in tomato sauce and vegetables), kare-kare (oxtail and vegetables cooked in peanut sauce), crispy pata (deep-fried pig legs), hamonado (pork sweetened in pineapple sauce), sinigang (pork, fish, or shrimp in tamarind stew), pancit (stir-fried noodles), lumpia (fresh or fried spring rolls).

[​IMG]

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

OK...what exactly is in a buko pie?

10. gold_chapter

[​IMG]

You'll find the best Pochero
    in Cebu!!! Pure and Unadulterated.

11. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Young Coconut pie.....it is simple and great.....more buko pie por me you see......salamat

12. gold_chapter

the purest, freshest, most delectable, young, virgin coconut...

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, I thought maybe "young coconut" was a different type of coconut...it really means an underripe coconut?

14. gold_chapter

[​IMG]

You can't call yourself an accomplished Eskrimador without never knowing the taste of a good Cebuano buko pie. Generations of Cebuano families have perfected their own recipes secretly passed from generation to generation to protect their families from hunger in the afternoon. If you're really a fierce Filipino warrior, you'll mix it with Halo-Halo then down the whole meal with a fresh pure Mango shake.

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I don't suppose they come in chocolate? :D

Great picture, BTW!

16. gold_chapter

No!!! Chocolate is not Filipino!!! You can't mix our indigenous cuisine with less than pure shakes, what's wrong with you? Maybe a fresh Guyabano shake or Lemoncito juice.

17. gold_chapter

[​IMG]

Filipino Chocolate Stew, the Best and Purest

18. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Diniguan...yumm...I dig it.....

19. Matt Lim

Matt Lim New Member

Dinuguan..

[​IMG]

plus..