The FMA Name Game

Discussion in 'General' started by The Boss, Nov 8, 2005.

1. The Boss

The Boss I am the Law! Supporting Member

Since there are so many different versions of the Filipino language I would like to start a thread (this one) on what different word mean to everyone. Let's start with the following:

Numerado (sp)

Abecedario

Seguidas

This is not a joke thread like on MT. Let's see how many different meanings are out there for the same words. This may help us understand each other better.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2005
  2. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

The numbering system of the angles of attack.

3. JPR

JPR New Member

Definitions...

Numerado (sp) - By the numbers. I feed you strikes 1 through 12 (what ever) and you respond with a single technique (ie meet the force, follow the force, back hand the strike).

Abecedario - The abcs. I feed you a strike, you block and respond. My understanding (from Lacosta point of view) is that there are levels of Abecedario (12 I believe) that cover returning multiple hits, receiving multiple hits, fakes, etc.

Seguidas - Follow ups? Set response patterns.

Jerry

P.S. These are from Inosanto / Lacosta blend I believe.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  4. The Boss

The Boss I am the Law! Supporting Member

Could we also list what systems that the terms are coming from or what dialect sp.

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Does this make Abecedario just Numerada done out-of-order/random order?

I think of both of the drills above as versions of Abecedario, and of Numerada (Numerado) as the basic stroking pattern--that is, the angles of attack, done as strokes in the air without a partner. But, I know of others who use Numerada as indicated here, as a partner drill.

6. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

Numerado - we don't have this term in the Pekiti Tirsia I practice.

Abcedario - The ABC's of striking. The 12 sets of 12 stick strikes and the 12 sets of 12 empty hand strikes in Abcedario de Mano. Each of the sets also has blade variants.

Seguidas - "Bridging Techniques" 3 sets of 12 techniques that bridge from long range in the first set, medium range in the second, close range in the third. I believe the word seguidas (this is mostly due to my knowledge of spanish) literally means "to chase, to follow, to move straight ahead". Which also makes sense taking into consideration the mechanics and structures inherent in the sets.

These are from the Pekiti Tirsia Kali system as taught by Tuhon Bill McGrath.

-wes tasker

7. Kilat Serrada

Kilat Serrada New Member

In the Pangasinan Dialect, this is my understanding...

Numerado... numbers, this is up to the instructor what is secretly numerated.

Abecedario... ABC's of the particular style

Seguidas.. follow up techniques.

I'll ask Master Garciano what he thinks about it from the Cebuano dialect.

Mr. Rohnee Gumpal
    Senior Instructor Garciano Arnis Kilat Serrada