the FMA’s Chinese connection

Discussion in 'General' started by timagua, Dec 31, 2008.

1. timagua

timagua New Member

[FONT=&quot]Contrary to what some may believe, Pinoy martial artists never existed as a separate, polarized entity from other practitioners in Manila. Many studied the Chinese and Japanese fighting systems as well as the FMA. Likewise, Filipinos of Chinese descent studied the FMA in addition to practicing their kung-fu systems. Perhaps the best example is Johnny Chiuten, known as the best kung-fu fighter in the Philippines, who went on to become an arnis grandmaster as well. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Check out the relatively recent Youtube and Googlevideo clips featuring a number of Filipino full-contact karate and arnis fighters from the 1970s executing kung-fu forms. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here are two of Christopher Ricketts of Bakbakan and kalis ilustrisimo renown: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9fMmFLHfG8&feature=related[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1TejecOsd8&feature=related[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is a clip showing the late, legendary Tang Lung Chua, a devastating puncher who captured the middleweight full-contact karate championship title of the pioneer Karate-Arnis Pilipino league. Note that he is doing the first form by the Rizal monument near Quirino Grandstand at Luneta: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0A4aNoyKM[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87e3QUR6J_w&feature=related[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]And one of Daniel Kun, who fought under the alias Yin Wan Ren and won the junior lightweight karate championship of Karate-Arnis Pilipino in 1978: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5392132614120064416[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

2. maliksi77

maliksi77 New Member

Manila memories

What memories! I can remember Tang Lung Chua, who knocked out a lot of guys and then did a flying back flip after his victories. I saw his middleweight championship match live when he fought Manuel Mendiola of Philippine navy. Chua was cut in the face from an illegal elbow. They stopped the fight, and Chua was declared the winner by referee Johnny Pintoy (Roland Dantes’s brother).

The navy guys weren’t too happy and it looked like there would be a riot. The commentator announced a rematch but as far as I know there was never one. Tang Lung Chua was gunned down in Chinatown a few years after Karate-Arnis Pilipino closed down.

3. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I remember those days also as I was a member of the Fil-Am Martial arts association at Clark.. We had several of our people fight in the old tv show on GMA called Full Contact.. It was during this time that GMA channel came to Clark and televise the annual FIL-AM Friendship tourney in 1980.. This was the first time I had met Master Roland Dantes as he was one of the co-hosts of the show and I was one of the referees on the floor where we had the competition.. It was during this time that we also sent a few fighters to the tourney at Camp Crame and fought with some of the clubs out of Manila and elsewhere in the region...

AH Yes, Good memories and good companionship were developed during this time..

4. maliksi77

maliksi77 New Member

Kumusta na timagua and silat1,

It is great to hear of local guys and gals who experienced these events so people don’t think we’re just making them up. It jogged my memory banks enough to recall some of the main players during my time (1960’s-to-late 1970’s) in Quezon City. Aside from Tang Lung Chua in 1976, his compadre from the Hong Sing Club, Topher Ricketts also won some very tough full-contact karate fights at Karate-Arnis Pilipino. So did their training partner Rey Dizer, who was a member of the Philippine National karate team. Manuel Mendiola, who was a sailor and came from a club called Manly Filipino Boxing Art, also beat out a lot of fighters using his modified boxing. Dan Kun from the Kong Han club (under alias Yin Wan Ren) defeated nine contestants to become a champion in 1978.

On the arnis side were Marion Ratuiste (who I think moved to Canada also in 1978), Nestor Pador, and Sammy Po, a Ngo Cho kung fu practitioner who used his style’s 13 Knuckle Bat (as in “baseball bat”) techniques to beat many arnis fighters.

Manigong Bagong Taon Po sa Inyong Lahat...Happy New Year to All!

5. silat1

silat1 Active Member

One of the kickboxers we had at clark was studying in Manila on the weekends and days off. He was a Preying Mantis stylist, but when I asked who he studied with, he said that he was learning from an individual who was in Biondo and had a hard time pronouncing his name.. Serious good times from that era in the Philippines when it came to the martial arts.. My instructor in Pampanga used to take us to tourneys all over the luzon area and a time or two went down south for the tourneys there..

6. maliksi77

maliksi77 New Member

It may have been an instructor with Shakespeare Chan, who taught seven star praying mantis in Manila in the 1970’s and 80’s. I believe Shakespeare also taught that style to the writer Alex Co. Many Chinese in Manila had two names – a traditional Fujian name, and a Filipino name. Some did not, and locals had a hard time pronouncing their Fujian names.

In line with this thread, I just had to mention tat kun tou, another style that has a lot of Filipino and Chinese martial arts components. Tat kun tou, incidentally, is also spelled tat kun tao or tat kon tou. Many TKT fighters successfully competed in Karate-Arnis Pilipino back in the 1970’s. They also demonstrated some beautiful solo and two-man forms. Tat kun tou’s founder Jose Millan, AKA Joe Go, developed his art in the 1950’s from balintawak arnis and ngo cho kung fu. Unfortunately, this style does not seem to be well-represented in North America or Europe.

7. dandy_itpro

dandy_itpro New Member

Good Day! Maliksi77

I just want to ask if you know some web site where I can download Manuel Mendiola’s fights history or any video clips related to his fight.

Thanks,

Menandro

8. Rapier

Rapier RHC

Good Day to all. Yes I remember those day's I was living there from the 70's and left in the 80's and the tournaments there were somthing to see all bare knuckle no pads. I used to travel from Subic to Clark to fight and come home pretty dinged up. In 1979 I remember one guy getting his shin broken with a sipa kick. I was with the phillippine Martial Arts Studio (PMAS) I have one great friend who studied with the Chinwoo Athlitic Association who knew Alex Co and Shakespeare and had very good things to say about them. So if you run into them say hi from Frank Rivera I was just talking to him the other day.

9. maliksi77

maliksi77 New Member

Kumusta Menandro,

Unfortunately, I don't think films of those fights exist anymore. I can recall that toward the end, a couple of fighters I knew complained they never received their trophies after they had won, supposedly due to problems with funds.

Manuel Mendiola was nonetheless a very good fighter. He did not kick much but was an excellent boxer. He did the Ali shuffle when he knocked his opponent down or out.