The Family Tree

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by Datu Tim Hartman, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

I have a Balintawak Family tree that Manong Ted Buot has given me. Since then I've enterd it into my comp and shared it with people who were interested. Now it's time to update it, but I need everone's help. I would like to ad people to the tree, but it is hard to track down everyone. I'm looking for people who are teaching Balintawak as well as who taught them. Any assistance would be welcome.

:bow:

2. PeteNerd

PeteNerd Member

I'll help you. What have you got so far? I tracked a few people down when i was in the philippines.

Pete

3. Datu Tim Hartman

This is what I have so far.

Attached Files:

4. Epa

Epa Member

Here's some stuff I pulled off the web,

1. John Villasin, trained by his father Jose Villasin. I believe he currently heads Jose Villasin's old organization.
    http://johnvillasin.8k.com/about.html

2. Henry Jayme was trained by Teofilo Velez. He runs visayan martial arts and was trained in different styles as well.
    http://www.visayanmartialarts.com/balintawakarnisescrima.htm

3. Rodrigo "Drigo" Maranga was trained by his father, Timor Maranga and is training his son Rico Maranga in the family style which has roots in Balintawak.
    http://maranga.8m.com/

4. Sergio Arcel was trained by Anciong Bacon. There is a Eusebio Monino listed with this group on John Villasin's website, but I'm not sure who his training was with.
    http://balintawak.4t.com/about.html

5. Jose "Joe Go" Millan was trained by Anciong Bacon, but he focuses on his empty hand style Tat Kun Tao and its newer form Gokosha.
    http://www.vacmartialarts.com/vacmasters.html

6. Sam Buot, trained initially by Ted Buot in the basics and did further training with Jose Villasin.
    http://www.balintawakeskrima.faithweb.com/

7. Bobby Tabimina was trained by Jose Villasin, Teofilo Velez, Anciong Bacon and Timor Maranga at different points.
    http://balintawak.s5.com/stories.html

8. Arnulfo "Toto" Mongcal trained Toni Veeck of Germany who took over the system after Mongcal's retirement. (Some modern arnis websites call him Rodolfo, I'm not sure why).
    http://www.necopa.de/People/Mongcal/mongcal.html

This might give you a place to start or some people to contact.

Eric

5. armas

armas Junior Member

For those who might be in Vallejo CA or visiting. We are fortunate to have
    GM Ver Villasin son of late GM Jose Villasin. We are located at the Bayanihan Center. Tues and Thurs afternoons at 5pm to 7pm. PM me if you need more info.

6. MacJ_007

MacJ_007 Junior Member

Can you give me a detailed location. I am pretty close to Vallejo and a student of Bobby Tabimina. Please give me the address, thanks.

7. chantz_orion

chantz_orion New Member

We are located @ the Bayanihan Center inside Seafood City Plaza. The corner of Sonoma Blvd & Redwood St. in Vallejo. Should you need further directions you may contact GM Ver Villasin @ 707-342-4448, he'll be happy to assist you.

8. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

GM Go is not among the living. That's probably one of his students.

9. Epa

Epa Member

Thanks for the clarification Buwaya. The website is actually for the Visayan Athletic Club (VAC) and their chief instructor is Robert Cinco who was a student of Joe Go's as well as several other teachers. Sorry for the mix up.

Eric

10. Robertlk70

Robertlk70 New Member

Balintawak in Hawai'i

Aloha
    I have been searching for a Balintawak Instructor in Hawaii, and upon searching the web I came upon Datu Manabe who received and continues to received training through Master Toto Duldra. Toto was not listed among those in the family tree so basically Im just trying to figure out if this guy is legit. The classes seem pretty cool but I am just curious as to am I really learning Balintawak?

In regards to my primary instructor / system it would be Datu Worden / Natrual Spirit Int'l, I lived in WA from 90 to 2001. Im not trying to instigate but rather validate.

Thanks,
    Robert

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  11. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons Member

Well I did a search on Google of those names you provided. Datu Manabe also uses the terms Kali and trains in other FMA systems as stated besides the Balintawak.

The search on Master Toto Duldra it only came up with the site that listed him as an instructor. Just a check of the last name brought up mostly sites of non English and I cannot read them.

I do not see a direct connection to what is generally termed Balintawak. Now it is possible that another school in Manilia or Luzon area with the street name of Baliantawak, got its name that way. Possible, yet I would like to see the history and others who reported it as well, to validate it.

Now, this does not mean he did not train in Balintawak. Only that the link stops and I cannot state it is Balintawak without seeing him in person. Although givven that Balintawak is a young art based in Name from the 50's there should be a connection, is someone could talk to some one or wish to follow through.

PS: Tell Kelly I said Hi.

12. Robertlk70

Robertlk70 New Member

Thanks Rich, I tried google too and didnt really find anything, I agree. I have not really trained in Balintawak before so I am unsure if what is being taught is Balintawak. There are some other schools around here as well but since Morden Arnis has a foundation in Balintawak I thought I would check it out.

13. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

Tim:

Are you still working on this? FYI - Two of Tony Veeck's students were, as of two years ago, very dilligently putting together a comprehensive Balintawak family tree. They had a LOT of information.

Robert

14. Datu Tim Hartman

Always looking for more information. Although I'm currently teaching in Sweden at the moment. I will be adding the names when I get home.

15. octaviushife

octaviushife New Member

Hello Mr. Hartman,this is jimboy hife from cebu city(based now in beijing/shenzhen)..just wanna thank you for all your efforts(w/arnis) and remembering "nong"Anciong..regards to all..

16. teovel'sBalintawak

teovel'sBalintawak New Member

Let me share something Joe Go's empty is not Tat Kon Tao it is Tat Kon Tou. I used to study in this system in the mid 80's when I was about 13 or 14 yrs old. In 1989 he teach his own version of stick fighting derive from Balintawak he named it PALAKABANATE but unfortunately in June of 1991 he died. Tat Kon Tou was his empty hand version of Balintawak while PALAKABANATE was his version of GOKOSA.

17. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Also GM Nick Elizar trained with GM Teofilo Velez and used to run the white chapter of his school in Cebu, he now calls his schools World Nickelstick Eskrima (Balintawak Style). He is also a childhood freind of GM Taboada.

Hope that helps.

Pat

18. teddy

teddy New Member

"you lied man" Ver Villasin is no question but when you say he's the son of the late GM atyy Jose Villasin,, you lie.

I knew the Villasin Clan lol

19. teddy

teddy New Member

I knew John, Bano, Joey, Boy (desease) Jacky, Meldy and the rest of the family

20. Tombo

Tombo New Member

Atillos

It appears the Atillo family is missing from the tree here.

Anciong Bacon and Delfin Lopez met with Vincente Atillo (who's father Pedro Atillo was Bacon's Godfather) to form the new Balintawak Self Defense Club. The first president of the club was atty. Jose Causin. All the members at that time were of the Saavedra style. Their grandmaster was Anciong Bacon. When Grandmaster Bacon wasn’t there or was late to arrive, Lopez and Atillo would look after the training. Vincente Atillo would often seen teaching Jose Villasin until Bacon would show up for class.

Vincente Atillo (while still under Anciong Bacon) taught Crispulo 'Ising' Atillo. Naturally Bacon would teach him as well but he was his father's student.

Supposedly it wasn't until 1975 when Anciong Bacon and Ising Atillo's sparring turned full contact match ended with Ising winning that Balintawak split up into 5 groups.
    1. Bacon maintained the Original Balintawak
    2. Villasin created Balintawak International
    3. Teofilo Velez created Teovel’s Balintawak Arnis Club
    4. Maranga started Santo Nino Self Defense Club 19, which was later changed to Tres Personas Arnis de Mano.
    5. Ising Atillo started New Arnis Confederation of Visayas and Mindanao, which later became the Philippine Arnis Confederation yet to later become the World Balintawak Arnis-Eskrima Association.
    So the tree should have added....

Anciong Bacon
    |
    |_ Vincente Atillo
    ....|
    ....|_ Crispulo 'Ising' Atillo

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008