The 55 Kicks of Sikaran?

Discussion in 'Sikaran' started by arnisador, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Viking

Viking New Member

Thats interesting,is it a different style of sikaran you getting trained .
    And about your Grandmaster?

I see you are from Canada .There is a Yaw-Yan gym in Canada.It's headed by one of the first genereation disciples of GM Nap Fernanadez
    Their website is http://www.universalmixedmartialarts.com

Best regards

2. ChrisS

ChrisS Junior Member

Our school doesn't focus solely on Sikaran -- we practice Mano-Mano, a blend of Sikaran, Boksing, Arnis, and Dumog, to create a well-rounded curriculum. I wouldn't say we practice a totally different style of Sikaran, as all the elements are present, it's just broken down a bit further into basics. The strategy is to never spend too much time on just kicking, punching, forms, tournaments, or self defense, but to find a balance. However, if one wants to put extra effort into, say, Sikaran, then it is possible.

My instructor is Amang Guro Vicente (Vic) Ferrer, a 7th degree black belt in Sikaran under GM Meliton C. Geronimo and the World Sikaran Arnis Brotherhood.

Also, thanks for the Yaw-Yan link.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

What do you mean by Mano-Mano? We usually use it as a fairly general term for empty-hand techniques.

4. ChrisS

ChrisS Junior Member

Right, loosely translated it means 'empty hand' or 'hand-to-hand'. We use it not as a designation for techniques, but as a name for our overall art. Within our Mano-Mano system there are elements of Sikaran, Boksing, Arnis, and Dumog. When talking about the regular class that is taught, it is called Mano-Mano to refer to all these different aspects.

5. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

sounds like an interesting blend of styles. Anychance there are any links with pics

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, links would be great!

7. ChrisS

ChrisS Junior Member

8. Viking

Viking New Member

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Is there a historical connection between Sikaran and Yaw-Yan?

10. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

I'm still trying to wrap my head around 55 kicks. That's....a lot of kicks :eek:

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Hwa Rang Do claims to have 365 kicks, one for each day of the year!

12. BushidoFMA

BushidoFMA New Member

13. Carol

Grimfang mentioned earlier today that he sees the system as having 24 kicks as opposed to the 55 or so....and that could even go further down than that. It's not because the 55 kicks are distinct...its because many of them are variations on one another.

Which feels a bit more...manageable ;)

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Is there a list of those 24 kicks, I wonder?

15. Carol

If he feels like sharing, he will. He has an active account here. ;)