The 55 Kicks of Sikaran?

Discussion in 'Sikaran' started by arnisador, Sep 12, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

From this site:

A list follows. Are there, indeed, exactly 55 kicks? What's a slash kick?

2. Far Walkers Moon

Far Walkers Moon New Member

I believe you will in that the number of kick varies with each organization. Also the names of some the kicks may vary

3. Viking

Viking New Member

4. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

would you estimate how many different kicks there are in Yaw_yan. and could you give a description of some of the ones we might not be familiar with

5. Viking

Viking New Member

Sheldon Bedell,

I still havnt got a chanve to train in Yaw-Yan ,but I am an admirer of the art. i dont know much about thier differant kicks.I am putting below a part of IKF magazine article about YY which came out 1982.It's about Yaw-Yan kicks I think it will give you a better understanding.

Yaw Yan
    The Philippine Dance of Death (The Article is taken from the " Inside Kung-fu" Magazine
    November 1982 /Volume 9,No 11)

By Glenn Kearney

An Art of Kicking

Yaw Yan has some 40 basic kicks, as opposed to the four basic kicks used in most styles of martial arts (i.e., front, roundhouse, side and back kicks).There are many variations of these four basic kicks, including, jumping, spinning, dropping, and stepping kicks, but they are all in fact, derived from the four basic kicks.

Yaw Yan has 40 different basic kicks and with variations, their kicking arsenal totals over 200 kicks.

The kicks are broken down in to three categories: frontal, side and back (the names describe where the kick is delivered from, not the type of kick used) Frontal kicks are delivered from an upright position directly forward, sidekicks from the side with the body on an angle and back kicks from rear with the body and kicking leg in a straight line.

The three categories are then broken down to describe the striking area used: snap, thrust, snap thrust, and heel snap. Areas used striking surfaces include the ball of the foot, the instep, the shin, knee, calf, thigh, and the side of the foot, toes and the sole of the foot.

The final breakdown in the kicking terminology describes the manner in which the kicks are used. Yaw Yan kicks are delivered in the manner similar to the way strikes are executed in Arnis. The kicks may slash at different angles across an opponent, chop down, thrust into, or hook around.

Variation of this kicking arsenal includes jumping, spinning, turning, sliding, stepping inside or outside kicks and combinations.

--

We had and have some long discussions about YY in MAP. Here is the links

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42816&highlight=yawyan

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34634&page=1&pp=15&highlight=yawyan

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34452&highlight=yawyan

Hope this helps

Regards

6. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Wow, there is a lot of really good information about Yaw-Yan there. Thanks so much for posting those links, Viking!

7. Viking

Viking New Member

You are very welcome and i am glad you liked it .
    In Yaw-Yan blogsite they have put some interesting pictures taken on Yaw-Yan 34th Anniversary.There are pictues of their famous bolo punches ,Yaw-yan weaponaries etc.

http://www.yawyanpasay.blogspot.com/

And Check out some Yaw-Yan videos from you tube

YY Training
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=NZxeBv0fJ-w
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=WZuDVj6GijM

Yaw-Yan Combat
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=h4eU1vN7mjU
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=bC1-tqgaOuY
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=d6X9ieP1Wl4

Regards

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yaw-yan weapons? I thought it was all sport! I see some sticks at the blog but it seems to be labeled "Arnis sticks" there.

9. Viking

Viking New Member

Yaw-Yan is said to be arnis lesss sticks.Most of the punches,kicks ,elbows are empty handed translation of arnis strikes.Yaw-Yan has weaponaries, but empty hands are given more importance.it's said yaw-yan is influenced by Arnis Lanada.I dont know much about it.

If you are checking the blog site again ,they have given some pictures of bolo punches and how it developed from arnis strikes.

Now Yaw-Yans are bringing back all the other aspects of Yaw-Yan ,their street fighting style(Yy combat), the weponaries etc.

Regards

10. Sheldon Bedell

Sheldon Bedell New Member

interesting links. thanks

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I had always thought it took a more different approach, but the links were enlightening!

12. langgaw

langgaw New Member

.....just FYI.....the arnis version of yawyan in Cebu is called Aryan.

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I haven't heard this before! Do you have a link to such a system?

14. langgaw

langgaw New Member

No one ever has (I mean outside of the circle)...this is not a known system. In fact this may be the first time said or introduced outside of the Dojo (with masters permission of course). It is practiced by Master Julius of the Cebu Yawyan and has been tested in various meets where they are allowed. In fact it is not allowed and they are disqualified in joining olisi or continous fighting tournaments. I think there is a clip in you tube showing the exercise on a punch bag. Just lately has it been introduced in the open but has been used for quite sometime now. It is very difficult to use in tournament with rules even in continous fighting because of the power use in the stikes. It tends to awe the defender because of the alternate use of the tip and the end (+/- 3" from the tip) when used in random or rhytmical attacks. The check hand is active mostly in the jabbing and punching in between strikes ( only 10% use for checking the oponents stick and live hand). The focus is in hitting the defender and not worry about being hit. Quite a paradox here because once the attack is initiated, the defender goes into defense mode and forgets about getting offensive....meaning less concern about his strikes. ....besides the aryan user will get hit one time or another anyway ....so if he focuses on attacking and just say ouch under his breath (hehehe) when hit, then the offensive manner in which the stick is used in rapid moves gives him the advantage. Another interesting point of view is that aryan user allows the defender to hit first so that the A-user knows exactly where the defenders stick is and thus can decide (qickly of course) where to start the powerstrikes. The training is very tough and requires training specific body parts and muscles to achieve teh aryan moves. There are only 7 of use who mastered this keeping it to a disciplined few. This is not meant to brag but I have convinced my peers to start sharing this for the sake of the FMA. It is not intended to dominate or be better than other arts because I am sure there are better ones out there than this. This is just to discribe simply what it is. If this sounds boastful, please say so and I will stop even mentioning about this aryan besides I do not endorse its useanyway. .... Quite lethal and is not recommended at all in sport tournaments. This is the first information about aryan and I hope this helps a little bit. Good health to all.

15. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Interesting. Now I'm curious if Grandtuhon Tortal has heard the same. I'll ask him this weekend. :)

16. Viking

Viking New Member

Hi Langaw,

Really interesting,
    So is the Aryan style ,the orginal style from which G.Master Nap developed Yaw-yan .Can you share the history of the system where it orginated and all.What are the other weapons used in this system.

This is the only link which i found before which give some information about the system.

http://www.asianfestivaldc.com/schedule_culture.html

It is a Philippine indigenous blade based fighting art... Filipino Martial Art or (FMA) system. The ARYAN SYTEM , the unorthodox form. , an internal art of the original YawYan or ("Sayaw ng Kamatayan" - Death Dance), which is Thailand's" Muay Thai " version. It has no belt classification just real deal offense / defense skills....not commercial versions. Training starts from weapons to empty hands to ground level combat. This is the system that the first Filipino hero (Lapu-lapu) developed as a legacy to the Filipinos.
    Bruce Lee was a Eskrima student of one of our Filipino grandmasters to complete his Jeet Kune Do. He then showed his eskrima (arnis ) skills in his film "ENTER THE DRAGON".

Thank you

17. Viking

Viking New Member

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

19. Viking

Viking New Member

20. ChrisS

ChrisS Junior Member

Interesting. I had not heard of Yaw-Yan before this thread.

Our system of Sikaran isn't broken down into three angular categories like these 55 kicks are, but in a progressional sequence from basic kicks to advanced. As students become comfortable with the basic kicks, they begin to learn variations for those kicks like different angles of attack, striking areas, breakaway, spinning, and jumping. For example, after one learns the basic roundhouse kick, variations such as driving the kick forward and hitting the thigh, ribs, or head with the shin are looked at. Further, learning how to turn the hips over slightly more and cutting the kick in a downward diagonal to the thigh, ribs, and head will follow. There seems to be a number of similarities between the Yaw-Yan kicks and our kicks -- as Far Walkers Moon said, the major differences are mostly in naming and presentation of the techniques.