Testing at GM Taboada's summer camp. Who else is coming/testing!

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by jspeedy, Jul 31, 2010.

1. jspeedy

jspeedy Member

It's been a while since i've tested but i've been working toward testing on Aug. 8. I'll be testing for level 5 for sure. I know the level 6 material but due to my school/work schedule I haven't been able to practice the level 6 material as much as I would have liked. Of course, I always feel this way when testing.

I've been to a few of Bobby's seminars, one in Cincinnati OH and another in GA, both times I tested it was a great experience. I was amazed at what a regular guy Bobby was outside of the seminar. The same for Guro Robert who helped out at the GA seminar, there was a comradery about all of the Balintawak group that was encouraging. Even as I've ventured into other martial arts in addition to Balintawak everyone i've talked to has been encouraging. Everyone seems to be all about sharing knowledge and helping each other, a true family atmosphere. I can't wait to make level 5 and I look forward to level 6!

2. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

I'm looking forward to it, too. Matter of fact, I'm adding another nail to the pledge paddle right now...

Robert

3. rompida

rompida Junior Member

Good luck and looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone.

Robert, make sure you clean all the rust from the nail. Haven't had a tetanus shot in awhile...

4. darrell from bega

darrell from bega New Member

good luck to all testing. Robert do some wacking for us aussies (lol) hope to see you all in the near future.

5. griff

griff New Member

jspeedy,
    If you can, try to get some time with GM Bobby, of course, but also any of the qualified instructors who are there. Robert, Sharon, and Steve, were all very helpful and gave me some reminders and pointers in practice before my test in march 09. Even a few minutes of stick time with these folks can be a huge help in your future training, as well as your upcoming test.
    And Robert hasn't "nailed" anybody recently. I think.
    Mike Griffin

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

7. jspeedy

jspeedy Member

Good advice! During the seminar I grabbed Robert as soon as Bobby had us pair up with partners. I got some very good advice about polishing up my disarms from Robert as well as some other guys.

All in all the test went well. I'll always think there are things I could have done better, for some reason I still get a little nervous with all those eyes on me! It was great meeting members of the Balintawak family and seeing the suttle differences in counter to counter from group to group.

For anyone else reading this who was there, Adam now thinks(jokingly) I should learn how to do a backflip!

8. Robert Klampfer

That would be after some polishing of the head movement, yes? :wink2:

Robert

9. Robert Klampfer

It was a very good event. A full house, in fact. As always, it was great to reconnect with old friends and make new ones.

FMAT members rompida, yomitche, and jspeedy each turned out impressive performances on their respective tests. I have to give props to jspeedy for one of the best performances of a level 5 test that I've seen to date. Sunday was a long day due to the number of tests being conducted -- 9 AM to 4 PM, with no lunch break.

Four people were promoted to Qualified Instructor and five others passed Completion of the Art. The newly minted QI's will be added to the list at www.internationalbalintawak.com once the site admin is back from vacation.

Darrell, I gave out one wack for each Aussie QI... :cheers:

Robert

10. jspeedy

jspeedy Member

I'm still trying to hassle some of the guys for video of my test. The whole thing was a blur to me and not quite what I expected, but I suppose that's a good thing. I feel a little more confident after the whole thing. Funny thing is for a day or so I couldn't figure out why I had these bruises on my legs, then it dawned on me!

Helluva test, i'm looking forward to level 6 next year, maybe in Vegas from the sound of things. I'm just not going to hang out with Guro Mike the night before next time(hahaha)!