Terminology Question.

Discussion in 'General' started by arnisador, Nov 2, 2005.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I was asked a question last night to which I did not know the answer.

A kung fu instructor was explaining that the wife of your sifu is addressed as simu (sp?), whether she is a kung fu practitioner or not. I was asked: Is there a term of address for the wife of your FMA instructor? I said I had never heard of one, but didn't know for sure!

2. Cruentus

Cruentus Tactician

You use the term Manong same as you do the male. :bow:

3. loki09789

loki09789 -== Banned ==-

In PI culture, "Manong" is a respectful reference to the Eldest patriarch (and if applicable to female - matriarch)? Like "Father" or "Big Brother/Uncle" or something along those lines. I like the connotation of family bonding in the use.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Ah, I knew it was something like Elder but I simply assumed it would have a gender! Thanks!

5. bart

bart New Member

Gender in Philippine languages is irregular in the linguistic sense. Specifically for example, a lot of pure Tagalog words don't speak to gender like kapatid (sibling), siya (he/she), anak (son/daughter). They have to be modified with a gender indicator as in kapatid na babae (sister) or anak na lalaki (son). Some other pure Tagalog words tatay (father), or nanay (mother) reflect gender implicitly. Most of the words imported from Spanish tend to have gender association such as tita (aunt), tito (uncle), maestro (male teacher), abugada (female lawyer). English words can go either way depending on whether it has gender implicit like daughter (dawter) or unisex like driver (drayber). A lot of words have the Spanish gender indicator imposed on them regardless of whether the word have Spanish origin or not.

As for Manong, it does mean elder and is unisex. I never encountered it until I spent time with Cebuanos and Bisaya speakers though. In Tagalog I generally used to address everything with po when I was speaking with an elder. For instance "Manong, excuse me" would be "Excuse me Po". "Thank you Manong" would be "Thank you Po".

Anyway, I hope that helps.

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Very much so, thanks! I didn't realize that gender was treated that way. I was imposing a Romance languages point of view on it.

7. Cruentus

Cruentus Tactician

Cool info Bart. Now I know who to PM when I have a terminology question!

:)

Paul

8. loki09789

loki09789 -== Banned ==-

Is there a decent online translator tool or at least a website you could recommend?