Teovel Balintawak Self-defense system

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by Soncen, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manhattan1

manhattan1 New Member

First of lets get something clear its more then 'just' family matter, when a guy cheats the public for money..... :)

What i said above i got directly from GM. John Villasin, so unless you think he lies its true....

PS. IF you think GM. John lies i will be happy to put you in touch with him...

Sincerly yours,

jan jensen
    www.fma-arnis.dk

2. Robert Klampfer

Robert Klampfer New Member

So, there was an agenda behind the initial post after all. There usually is in that type of post. I'm glad to finally have it out in the open, although I'm not going to address it at all.

It doesn't matter what I think. You believe in what you do and in your instructor. That's good. Just don't presume that you're the only one "in the know".

Please don't think to try to intimidate me by offering to "put me in touch with him". A) It doesn't work and B) It's rude. I post here using my real name and I put nothing here that I wouldn't say to someone if we were in the same room together. I have no argument with John Villasin so, please don't try to make it out as if I do.

My caution to you, again, is that the Balintawak community is small. You won't make any friends and can make more than your share of enemies by bashing people in public.

Robert

3. MacJ_007

MacJ_007 Junior Member

Let me get this straight, I have nothing against your style (Villasin Balintawak), I was merely commenting on your skill level in Balintawak. And what is wrong with telling you to improve your skills? Everybody can see it clearly that you just barely studied the art in the video. And if you dont admit that you're just a beginner in the art, then that is your right. But like Robert said, the Balintawak community is small and can pretty much differentiate and analyze your level base upon your video.

I dont care about your previous background, the fact that the Balintawak mindset is to never underestimate anybody and the assumption of your opponent is a skilled fighter, dissipates that fact. Thanks.

4. guillermo taboada

guillermo taboada New Member

5. manhattan1

manhattan1 New Member

You know thats twisting it.... :)
    That you teach for money and are honest is not the same as making false claims to the public is it....?
    By the way, what do you know of the Villasin style, do you know his style and the "grouping system"? Not from what i hear, so let me ask you do GM. John Villasin tell your students where they are within your system?
    No, its a sign of no respect and as a Grandmaster you should in my eyes know better... :)

Well i think anyone who would claim they know a other style or Martial Artist from a few sec. of video clips is talking like a beginner, or someone who just want to pick on others....? :)

I cant see why you would take that as i was trying to intimidate you, i was purely telling you that you could confirm what i am saying with him, nothing else.... :)

I dont claim to be the one who knows, but i do claim GM. John Villasin knows...

Sincerly yours,

jan jensen
    www.fma-arnis.dk

6. guillermo taboada

guillermo taboada New Member

7. manhattan1

manhattan1 New Member

Okay, i will still be here and would be happy to meet you anytime as friend.... :)
    I never said you did not know the Villasins either, i only repeated what GM. John Villasin told me nothing else and i am sure he would be happy to tell you the same if you asked him (so its not just me you got it from).....

Sincerly yours,

jan jensen
    www.fma-arnis.dk

8. Robert Klampfer

What does Bobby Taboada know of the "Villasin style" and the grouping system!? Are you serious?! Do you know anything of the history of Balintawak, besides what you're allegedly told by John Villasin? Do yourself a favor and run a few searches on Google or something. It sounds like you're getting some really bad information from somewhere.

Robert

9. manhattan1

manhattan1 New Member

Try to read what GM. Bobby Taboada him self writes again, before you say something thats not true:

I was right on the money about GM. Bobby Taboada not knowing the Villasin Balintawak Grouping system, so dont you tell me its bad information..... :)

Sincerly yours,

jan jensen
    www.fma-arnis.dk

10. Robert Klampfer

Apparently you didn't pick up on the sarcasm in his post. I talked with him yesterday. So, I am telling you it's bad information.

Robert

11. du212

du212 New Member

Mr. Jensen,

I think a problem here, at least that I find when reading your post, is that you are speaking on behalf of your teacher. You are saying these are his words and not yours, and so be it if thats true -however - Are you authorized to speak on your teacher's behalf and does your teacher know you are repeating what he may have told you in a public forum?

This is a forum for knowledge sharing and in that spirit I am curious, since you bring it up, if you believe that the grouping system you are learning is different from the groupings other balintawak players have learned? If you do, do you mind sharing what you see those differences to be ?

-SAL

12. necopa74

necopa74 New Member

HI Board....

I guess the unreasonable postings from Jan are coming from a lack of information or knowledge.
    He has no ideas from the linage of the system and only a smal overview in general.
    When u take a look at his videos, u can obviously see that he is in a really early stage in mastering or playing the art...
    So, please don't overestimate his postings and try to give him some hints :)

Peace and greetings!

Thorsten

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  13. manhattan1

manhattan1 New Member

Why dont you get him to make a public statement in here, that he knows the complete Villasin Balintawak with "grouping system" and everything then?

So far what i got is only above and it says he does not know it, its very hard to see if thats sarcasm....

Sincerly yours,

jan jensen
    www.fma-arnis.dk

14. manhattan1

manhattan1 New Member

Hi Sal,

Thanks for your replay... :)
    I am not speaking for my teacher (GM. John Villasin) or Villasin Balintawak (only GM. John can do that), but he said to me just be honest about these things, i can never speak for him......i can only repeat the things he told me, nothing else.... :)

Yes, i think our "grouping system" is different from other Balintawak styles and its one of the things GM. John Villasin's farther (GGM. Atty. Jose Villasin) was know for, making this special "grouping system", but GM. John has told me not to explain about this "grouping system" online and i will of course respect this.... ;)

Sincerly yours,

jan jensen
    www.fma-arnis.dk

15. manhattan1

manhattan1 New Member

I am not going to keep answering those "cheap shots", that kind of remarks says more about you, then me.... :)

Sincerly yours,

jan jensen
    www.fma-arnis.dk

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Please, keep the conversation polite and professional.

-Arnisador
    -FMAT Admin

17. Robert Klampfer

Jan:

The grouping system is no secret. If it's supposed to be a secret, why is it on YouTube?

Taboada, Gaabucayan, Elizar, Velez, Roma... any of these names sound familiar? They all teach the "grouped" method of Balintawak.

Robert

P.S. - Sal and Thorsten, good to see you both here! :cheers:

18. Robert Klampfer

Unless he specifically asks my opinion, I don't presume to tell Bobby Taboada what to do. Ever.

Robert

19. manhattan1

manhattan1 New Member

I am not saying they dont teach a Balintawak Grouping System, i am saying they dont teach the Villasin Balintawak Grouping System.....There is a difference... :)

Well, if you think the complete Villasin Balintawak grouping system is online on youtube, why dont you show me a link to a video with it then?

Well, it just seems strange......When he says to me, that he does not know the Villasin Balintawak Grouping System.....Why do i have to hear it only from you if its sarcasm?

20. du212

du212 New Member

Hey Robert, Cheers !
    ----------------------
    Manhattan1 wrote:
    "I am not saying they dont teach a Balintawak Grouping System, i am saying they dont teach the Villasin Balintawak Grouping System.....There is a difference..."

Hi Jan,

Regarding your quote above...I also do not know the 'Villasin Balintawak Grouping System', as your teacher teaches it to you, (also re: Robert and GM Taboada posts) so please, lets let those threads drop.....

Lots of people have different interpretations and approaches to how they play the balintawak game. Just look at the other Balintawak videos (Atillo and Inosanto) or websites. Atillo's methods are slightly different from Tabimina which are slightly different from Teovel....etcetc. Once a balintawak student learns the basics, they can begin to apply their own interpretations and make it their own. In fact, one GM has a specific requirement for his students, at a more advanced level, to create and demonstrate new distinct moves of their own...

So your statement, for me, is more of a historic curiosity than a technical one (though that too would have been interesting) since the beginnings of this thread itself, follow upon whether the Grouping Systems, as most of us know them, originated from Atty. Jose Villasin or ,as Soncen posted,whether it was Teofilo Velez.

So when you state that the 'Villasin Balintawak Grouping System' is different from the 'Balintawak Grouping Systems' most have learned, it appears you may? be contradicting the historic attribution of Atty. Jose Villasin with the Grouping Methods ?? Which is why I originally asked what you thought those difference might be..... Its totally reasonable that your teacher may not want his interpretations or teaching method(s) publicized, thats his perogative, but I am still curious if there is a historic answer as to why Grouping Methods might be different ?

If you or your teacher are not able to discuss this topic further, thats fine too, but if so we should probably let this thread die then.

But thanks for and keep posting the videos you have on your website, its always great to see other practitioners doing their thing! :)

Thanks, SAL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.