Ted LucayLucay

Discussion in 'JKD-Kali' started by pinoytenn07, Sep 21, 2007.

1. pinoytenn07

pinoytenn07 New Member

Hello

I was watching one of the tapes in a video series of Ted Lucaylucay that was made way back. From what i have read on him he was very knowledgable and as i would term it the "old school" since he was there in the early stages of JKD. It is a shame that he passes away several years back, a wealth of knowledge left us.

So what was his influence on JKD and i see some serrada in what he does wondering what made up his core of FMA??

2. S.E.G

S.E.G New Member

I might be mistaken but I recall his father being mentioned in Dan Inosanto's "The Filipino Martial Arts" book and I think his family was associated with Ben Largusa in some fashion. I'll check it out tonight.

3. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

Good man, great guru. taught us how to feel it.So that many moves became one. Showed us how to use rythm in training. Still get plenty ohana in Hawaii ! Aloha Braddah Ted

4. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

If you look through the thread titled FMA in Hawaii in the General forum you'll find an interview with Guro Ted LucayLucay. I was able to get in some training with Guro Ted before he passed away through Camps and Seminars hosted by Datu Kelly Worden. Great guy... here is an excerpt from the interview

teve: The first question would be how long have you been involved in the martial arts?

Ted: 31-33 years

Steve: What martial arts have you studied?

Ted: I started out first in Judo. A friend of mine introduced me to the art of Judo when I arrived in the states. I was born and raised in Hawaii until I was 13. I didn’t get an official system but studied several different styles. My first Karate style was a Hawaiian karate style; I spent a lot of years with that. Then I started experimenting and trying other styles like Shitoryu and Shorinryu. Then my Dad and I started Kajukempo with Tony Ramos. When I first came to the states my Dad and I helped build a gym in L.A. where we trained Kajukempu. I stopped for a while and when I started back up I was in Praying Mantis, then I went to Dan Inosanto’s backyard and that’s when I first started JKD and Escrima. I was brought in because of the Escrima. My Dad knew Richard Bustillio who got me into the backyard sessions. I got in to learn Escrima but I really wanted to take JKD first. It was pretty good because I learned to like both of them. It use to be after the JKD class, before everyone would close out, Dan Inosanto would ask those of you who wanted to stay for the Escrima can do so, and everybody would leave but maybe about three, four maybe five if we’re lucky. But the Escrima class in those days was so brand new nobody ever knew what it was. As it went further down the road, then I got involved in the Filipino arts more. I got three main systems that I studied: serrada style by Angel Cabales, Largo Mano style systems from Leo Giron and Villabralle/Kali style from Ben Largusa. This was also my dad’s system that he had learned as a kid from the Grandmaster Villabralle. Also under his belt, he had been taught by others a knife fighting system, which I think, helped him in his boxing years later. My Grandfather was a champion boxer on the islands and he didn’t want my Dad to fight. As my Dad got older and, he stopped the Escrima training because, as a kid, everybody was doing basketball or whatever, and he just got tired of doing Escrima and Kali by himself, which is natural for most kids. My Grandfather stopped him from training with Grandmaster Villabralle because hi was such a ‘hot head,’ but eventually he continued boxing in spite of my Grandparents.

Steve: Your Grandfather was Grandmaster?

Ted: He was known as a boxer in the Hawaiian Islands. When he was in the Philippians he was also known for a kicking art known as sikeran. I never saw any evidence of the Sikeran but the boxing part I use to see regularly. My Dad used to play around with my Grandmother. He would do a kick to her leg and take off running. She would chase him with a frying pan. But I would say he was more of a boxer that’s why he helped the immigrants come on over from the Philippians to settle in the main island. He was one of those who were prominent and they made money in those days from the boxing but he never really kept any because he helped immigrants come over, and get settled. That is how Grandmaster Villabralle came to Hawaii. But before Grandmaster Villabralle there were some Filipino men who would train my Father. Some of them were fishermen, some were long shore men, some were gardeners, and all of these men were Escrimadors. They use to be at my Grandparent’s house and they would come drop off vegetables, fish, and whatever. What I did not understand was that my Grandparents had been instrumental in bringing them in and getting them settled. Like all of the old customs they would give back something. So along with giving back, they would teach my Father and since he was my Grandfather’s only child, he was one of the chosen ones to be part of the Federation. I pictured him as a little boy in the Federation movement learning from the fishermen and longshoremen Escrimadors as Escrima was a part of their life. They gave back by teaching to my Grandfather’s son and my Father taught me.

Steve: Your Father was close to Flore Villabralle?

Ted: Yes, Grandmaster Villabralle is from the Island of Vitayan, which is where my Grandfather is from. The Island of Vitayan is in the Visayan Islands. Our family helped him get settled, and that’s how they came close. He became by Dad’s Godfather and later on he trained him. My Father taught me boxing when I was a kid but I did not like it. No matter who tried to teach me that, I didn’t like boxing, but is was years later that I went back to pick up the lessons that they were trying to give me.

Steve: When did you start training stick work with him?

Ted: The stick work was in my mind from the knife training and Escrima we did. He used to practice on me so I learned by being a dummy so to speak, but I really didn’t get involved until after we started training with Dan Inosanto. After we started training with Dan the escrima training with Dan and the Escrimadors, my Father would show me things and I would take off with him. It all came back to him after a while, so that when he started getting active again, and teaching, he opened up a lot more.

Steve: He had his own studio?

Ted: He had a rented studio and he trained his family first, whether it was blood related or associative.

Steve: Why is your dad known as the father of Panantucan and Pananjacman?

Ted: He was coined that because nobody was really teaching those arts. In the old days at the Torrance Philipino Kali Academy, Dan used to bring in instructors but Dad used to come in and teach the boxing exercising and relate them to the knife. Through his contribution, he was given this title. At the Philippine Kali Academy, the art was given birth through my Dad.

Steve: Was your Dad the one who was responsible for getting the better Grandmasters like Angel Cabales?

Ted: No. He was actually more responsible for bringing in the Villabralle groups. At the time they were the only group that was known as Kali practitioners. However, it wasn’t even out in the open, it was Escrima and Arnis that was known. The only group that was known for Kali was the Villabralle School. But as it came down to the Torrance Academy, it became generic and it improved the other systems that were using Arnis on Escrima. Today you will see all three; Kali, Escrima, and Arnis which are basically in the same family. So, it was good because all of the bickering over the name, what is Kali? What is Arnis? What is Escrima?, slowed down a bit. It was a big thing then. The only real Kali School at that time was the Villabralle in Hawaii. Largusa Kali in San Francisco and Dan Inosanto’s school. Everyone else was studying Escrima and Arnis.

5. wesbennett100

wesbennett100 New Member

Just saying Hello... from the Midwest LK/JA Temujin

Just discovered this site... blessings to all.
    Missing my friend and Guro much this time of year.
    Aloha bruddah and Guro Ted!
    I have a tribute of photographs up on webshots.com
    Here is the link to the slideshow:

http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/562813211wuhcCA

6. DEFONDO

DEFONDO New Member

Hello from the Central Coast of California! I haven't been very active in FMA Talk, but I ran across this thread and felt I must respond in honor and respect for my late teacher, Guro Ted. I was a full-time student under Guro Ted from late 1980 to early 1987 in Santa Ana and Huntington Beach, California. During this time, Guro Ted used as his base the foundations of Cabales Serrada, Giron Larga Mano and Villabrille-Largusa Kali along with elements of LaCoste Escrima as taught by Guro Dan and Dumog, Panantukan, and Sikkaran as taught to us by his father Guro Lucky Lucaylucay. Western style boxing, kick-boxing, modified Wing Chun, Jun Fan Gung Fu, and other arts being taught by Guro Dan and Guro Richard at the Torrance Kali-JKD Academy were, likewise, taught by Guro Ted. Guro Ted's wife, Guro Tanya Lucaylucay contributed equally to the mix, especially with her gift for inside work in Wing Chun and the short blade. Guro Tanya also came with her own family credentials as a grand daughter of the famed eskrimador Telesporo Subing-Subing. Training in those days was intense and virtually daily.

To this day, I believe that Guro Ted was the ultimate "teacher's teacher".

7. tellner

tellner New Member

I only met Guro Ted a few times. There was no ******** about him. He was always down to Earth, practical and a great person to be around. There wasn't a pretentious bone in his body, and he was a fine, fine player and teacher.

8. KevinW

KevinW New Member

And hello from Northern California.
    I was in Ted's Huntington Beach school for around two years between around 83 and 85.

Found memories, he was a great man and great teacher.
    Friendly and down to earth, jovial. Full of great stories and experiences he liked to share.

9. Doc

Doc New Member

Hello from the Borderlands!

I was only able to train with Guro Ted in a couple of seminars. One of them was on "stick boxing." It really made an impression upon me and this approach and way of thinking about the stick work has stayed with me over the years.

Keith

10. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

Although I've never met GM Ted Lucaylucay and GM Frank Mamalias, I've discovered that their nephews who both trained with them live right down the road from me. Whew...chicken skin.....

11. wesbennett100

wesbennett100 New Member

Re Training with Ted's Nephew...

Very cool--- which nephew is it? (We all calabash kai brah)
    If you get a chance to train with anyone who was trained by Guro Ted-- you will not regret it... and if you do--please contact me wesbennett100@gmail.com and let me know the specifics.
    Our two Senior Guros in the organization are Guro Greg Allen (El Paso TX) and Guro Leonard Trigg (ORegon) -- they are good men also.
    much Aloha.
    Godbless
    -wes

12. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Dude, you should get with them and see if you can get some extra training. As it is I think Prof. Leonard Trigg is overseeing Temujin JKD since the passing of Guro Ted. I was fortunate to meet and train with him several times through seminars and camps with Kelly Worden.

13. robertlk808

robertlk808 Member

Guro Leonard Trigg is truly a wealth of information as well as a Gentle Giant. Well... as long as you stay on his good side.

14. greg808

greg808 PSDE Main Branch

GM Ted's nephew I met is Keith Ramos and GM Franks nephew is Dana Semiona.

15. wesbennett100

wesbennett100 New Member

Nice... I have only met Keith once... but I hear good things about him. Hope your training is going well. I missin de islands bad today--- it is -1 here this morning. UGH
    -wb

16. Syko Dragon

Syko Dragon New Member

I am one of Uncle Boy's nephews. It touches my heart to see that people still remember him and have such wonderful things to say about him. It is truly inspirational! My Uncle and Grandfather were 2 of my biggest role models growing up. Even though I did not get to train with them, I remember watching some of the training sessions. I also remember both of their funerals and seeing how many lives they touched through the Arts. I know that my Family misses them both, as well as the Brotherhood that came along with it. My Aunt and I are the only ones currently training in the Martial Arts now. She is continuing the Filipino Arts while I am trying to build my own system. One day, I will be able to travel and meet many of those people that my Uncle had trained and trained with that have dispersed around the world.

If you are in Northern CA, my brothers are there (my older brother got to train with them). I am currently in Oceanside, CA, but may relocate soon- possibly back to Nor Cal with my brothers. I miss training with them and in the Filipino Arts, and I know a lot of my family does too. So if you are in these areas, please let me/us know so we can get together! From the bottom of my Heart, and from my entire Family...Thank You for keeping my Uncle's memory and Legacy alive!

17. wesbennett100

wesbennett100 New Member

As long as I am drawing breath, I will keep the Ohana and Brotherhood alive.. and defend it till that last breath. My wife Dana and I hope to visit NoCal this year again, possible in August...-- hop[ing we can maybe get some time together. use my email to get in touch with me ... we can share some memories and any knowledge I might be able to pass on would be an honour. Shakka!
    wesbennett100@gmail.com