Tatang Was A Berdugo?

Discussion in 'Kali Ilustrisimo' started by The Phalanx, Oct 24, 2008.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

I read in another forum that Tatang was the Berdugo(beheader) of captured Japanese soldiers?

I don't know much of the history of Ilustrisimo... If that is true, that is just plain awesome...

2. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Not if you're a captured Japanese soldier...

3. ...or a Filipino traitor.

"The Secrets of Kali Ilustrisimo" by Masters Tony and 'Topher would interest you if you would like to know more about Tatang.

4. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

My teacher Many Yuli Romo told me many of Tatangs exploits during the war as told to him via Tang,,,,he was that and much, much more. One thing that Mang Yuli said was that Tatang was fiercely proud of his culture and did what was necessary, but he never relished in the acts of his deeds. It was a brutal guerrilla affair in the PI fought by hard men and he did what he had to, too survive and in-turn help the loyal people to preserve their culture and way of life and to the end the brutality the Japanese occupation forces were inflicting on the people of the Philippines. MacArthur did in fact return but if it wasn't for fierce loyal fighters like Tatang and many others there wouldn't have been much to return for. They are the true heroes of the Philippine campaign...undermanned, underarmed but they still got it done...IN SPADES.

MABUHAY to all of those who served and did the do when the doing needed done...!

5. geezer

geezer Member

I don't know Tagalog, but in Spanish "Verdugo" means executioner. Sometimes also applied to a torturer, or "enforcer" as well. Nothing "awesome" about it. Just brutal. I'm not a war vet, but my family members who are confirm that there are some awful things that you just have to do in war ...but as PG Michael B. said, you wouldn't relish it or brag about it. Those who do are either phonies or very poor excuses for human beings.

6. Twist

Twist Junior Member

Actually I think his FIGHTING abilities were much more "awesome" than the "skill" of hitting someone in the neck with an axe or blade...

7. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

The hacking is not, it was why he hacked that made him awesome...

8. Twist

Twist Junior Member

Why?

9. :eek: To echo Twists / PG Mike's points rather succintly. I love the use of the passive at the end of that quote...!

10. el maldito de cebu

el maldito de cebu New Member

you know bros. the term berdugo in filipino terms is a paid pit fighter. during that time pit fighting was popular in the underground world for amusement of the japs. generals and high ranking officers at that time. maybe I could say partly berdugo if he joined in that fights to test his skills but if that story is to kill a japanses soldier I just can simply say it as patriotism to the mother land. the pearl of the orient seas " Perlas ng Silanganan"

11. still lurking

still lurking New Member

I agree. Tatang was not proud of the fact that he's had to take lives.

12. Raul

Raul Mananandata

And he had no regrets whatsoever.