tat kon tou

Discussion in 'Balintawak' started by dark_hadou, Aug 6, 2009.

1. dark_hadou

dark_hadou Junior Member

2. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

Thank you for that footage... I was aware of the second clip but not the first... So does Tat Kun Tao only contain two-person sets or are there single person forms different from the Ngo Cho Kuen? What is the syllabus actually like in it? Thank you for your time and consideration. I've always been interested in Tat Kun Tao but it's definitely rare..... Thanks again.

-wes tasker

3. carlrabanes

carlrabanes New Member

Ei guys,

Saw the video. Correct me if im wrong.. I am a Balintawak student and I find Tat Kon Tou just a little like Balintawak without sticks.

4. Yes, GM Joe Go was a student of GM Anciong Bacon so it is often referred to as "Balintawak without a stick". It is a "Touch system" of empty-hand fighting. Later, GM Go developed "Gokosha" which is the "Un-touch" system.

There seems to be a lot of threads about this at the moment on the internet? Hope we don't get the same old cut and pastes...:(

5. tva

tva New Member

Original Tat Kon Tou Syllabus

I'm not sure if I remember everything because it's been many years. If there's any Tat Kon Tou students out there, correct me if I missed anything.

Choreographed Patterns of Movements (Solo)

I Basic
    1. Fist strikes - 7 patterns
    2. Knife hand strikes - 6 patterns
    3. Elbow strikes - 6 patterns
    4. Kick strikes - 13 patterns
    5. Blocks - 15 patterns
    Bowing - interlude prior to the next level

Choreographed Patterns of Movements (Pair)
    II Kasou-Etsou (Offence-Defence)
    First level paired application of the Basic patterns
    7 Patterns

Mother Step
    This solo choreographed pattern is usually introduced at this point.
    This gives the student the appreciation of classical Kung Fu movements

III Seven Steps
    Advanced paired application of the Basic Patterns

Bunkag - semi-freestyle or unchoreographed paired application of the Basic Patterns. There are rules to be observed or followed when doing bunkag.

IV Instinct
    Similar to Seven Steps plus sticky hands techniques to hone the sense of touch

V Sungay Pattern
    Sungay (a deer antler in this case) used as a weapon, though only a portion of the antler, is unique to Tat Kon Tou.

Hope this helps.