Tapping using a firearm as last resort...

Discussion in 'Modern Arnis' started by Hudson, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Hudson

Hudson Junior Member

Awhile back at a L.E.O. Sayoc Tactical Seminar I hosted "we" were shown how to "Tap" with our firearm, definetly a different appraoch then I have ever seen.

Situation was you could not bring your firearm up on assailant in time and you had to "Tap" the incoming blade away with the firearm.

Thoughts???

Is "Tapping" Modern Arnis' version of Palis-Palis I guess, right?:)

2. bentit

bentit New Member

what do you mean by "tap" with a firearm? you mean to use the firearm while drawing to deflect an oncoming blade? that would make sense though to parry first then take a shot.

3. Raul

Raul Mananandata

Yup that makes sense.

4. Hudson

Hudson Junior Member

Yep ! Spot on brother...

You clear your holster and as you are bringing up your firearm on target if the distant has been closed to the point you cannot side step,you would instantly "tap" the blade or weapon in assailants hand with your hand fireatm. Then use the "off" hand to check and push assailant away or at least off balance him.

Then create distance, seek cover if near by and come back on-line and sending a flurry of lead "down range" at the assialant, he has already showed the Intent to inflict deadly harm to you.

Galang,

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I don't carry a firearm but have imagined this scenario before.

6. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

This is kind've last ditch parrying technique when you were slow to draw. I do teach this in IRT. [​IMG] The main point being to get off line, redirect with a parry, create space and then be able to utilize the firearm from distance. Pretty simple stuff and nothing fancy.

I would however prefer to use my off hand to parry then draw and shoot if necessary.

7. maliksi77

maliksi77 New Member

In his outstanding 2007 book The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery, Massad Ayoob describes a related technique using both the gun hand and the opposite hand. Curiously, he attributes the maneuver to a Reynaldo Jaylo of the NBI (Philippine FBI), whom he describes as having prevailed in a number of close-quarter gunfights against criminals in the PI. You can see excerpts of the entry here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=wi...X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPA144,M1

8. maliksi77

maliksi77 New Member

page 143

I just realized the link in my previous entry takes the reader to page 144. Scroll back one page to 143 for the best view of the technique!