Tapado.

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by arnisador, Apr 6, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

2. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Thanks for the links...

Interesting art, one I have not heard of before. Thank you for posting this!

Respectfully,

3. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

There was a tapado instructor in Sacramento a while back. Don't know if he's still in your area.

4. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Tapado

Ron Harris may still be teaching Tapado in San Diego, CA.

For the some basic angles of attack (with San Miguel Eskrima ananangkil):

http://northshoreac.com/san_miguel_eskrima/ananangkil_files/ananangkil.mpg

There are three entries on the Eskrima Digest FAQ.

John Jacobo has an excellent "Dos Armas" DVD where he shows the "de cuerdas" principle.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  5. wes tasker

wes tasker New Member

Another interesting art (I believe that the founder of Tapado studied it...) is Oido de Caburata, which uses a two-handed long stick as well.

-wes tasker

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

By an odd coincidence, I heard this art for the first time this morning, and posted a reference to it! I had never heard of it before, and didn't know that it used a jo-like weapon.

7. JohnJ

JohnJ Senior Member

From the little I know, Romeo Mamar's version has only 2 strikes. The strikes are executed diagonally and with full commitment. There don't appear to be any retracting or circular strikes. In Ilustrisimo, we refer to them as "V". These strikes also serve as the defense intended to hit the opponent's weapon hand/arm. I mentioned in an old post that if the strikes miss the target, the practitioners will also use the ground to bounce off of as a follow up thrust. This limitation puts you in a great disadvantage as seen in the video fight between Ron Harris and Eric "Top Dog" Knauss in the original DBMA videos. Apparently there is a Modern Tapado/a brewing in Manila.

JohnJ
    www.swacom.com

Thanks for the kind words Steve. BTW...will you be posting a review on the MAP Meet????

8. Roger Agbulos

Roger Agbulos New Member

Hello JohnJ, arnisador, ihommedieu, anthony & wes!

Master Joe Tan is the U.S. representative of Modern Tapado. Let me know if you want to get in touch with him, I'll be happy to connect you.

He lives not too far from where I live. He is a nice guy and a "bisaya", like me... really...

Roger

9. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Tapado

Thanks. Modern Tapado looks very interesting. I noticed from GM Vasquez' website that he has a book out. I was taught to use tapado (ananangkil) more as a foundational training weapon than as a weapon per se - so I'm interested in learning more about it.

Re. the MAP Meet it was very well planned and there were some excellent instructors. We raised over $700 for a charity. I was the only one teaching FMA and taught the "Downward" striking combination from the San Miguel Form. Actually I taught about half of Downward since I could only teach for about 45 minutes. It was quite amusing (for the other participants) to see my wife completely ignore my instuctions to go slow and easy while I was demonstrating and instead try to take my head off. As I was trying hard not to hurt her the chances that I was going to get clipped were pretty good (those of you who workout with girlfriends or wives will know what I mean). The fact that she actually hits with power makes it worse. The two classes that I attended were great: a traditional Shotokan guy and an Hapiko teacher showing joint locks from the perspective of moving from the Dan Tian.

Best,

Steve

10. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

Malayu Sibat

I'm interested in learning how to work the tapado. I learned from Mandala Guro Leslie Buck Jr this form of 2-handed weapon known as "Malayu Sibat" while attending the Texas Kali Mastery Camp in October 2003. I assume it is basically the same thing. I even viewed the staff promo video on the Dog Brothers MA site where Marc"Crafty Dog" Denny goes on a boat trip with Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje Jr. to Apo Island to do some training with the Malayu Sibat. Good stuff!

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I keep looking for a seminar in this but no one seems to be doing it (at least, not anywhere near me). It would be fun to try it at least once!

12. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

tapido

I was given a tapido dvd many years ago from an Escrimador in spain.The dvd is sold threw Budo videos if anyone wants to obtain a copy.

13. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

I believe that the DVD may introduce the "Tapado" style of M. Rueben Tansingco - but that it shows single and double stick techniques. Is this correct?

Best,

Steve Lamade

14. monkey

monkey -== Banned ==-

Its been awhile since Ive seen it,& iI think there is some empty hand.You are correct on the name & video.That the dvd I have.From what I remember it was well filmed & broken down for easy translation.

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

How popular is this art in the Phil.? You just don't hear about it very often, anywhere.

It seems like some people treat it as a different art from Eskrima/Kali/Arnis, while others of course view it as just another stick-like weapon.

16. conceptual warrior

conceptual warrior New Member

Original Filipino Tapado

Hello guys,

I am a certified instructor of Original Filipino Tapado under 1st Generation Inheritor Grandmaster Benefredo "Bebing" Mamar Lobrido of Taloc, Bago City, Negros Occidental, Philippines.

GM Lobrido is the nephew of the late Founder Grandmaster Romeo "Nono" C. Mamar, also of Bago City, and the Chief Instructor of the Original Filipino Tapado Long Stick Fighting Association (OFTLSFA), Inc. when the founder was still alive. GM Lobrido is now the president of OFTLSFAI. He has 47 years martial arts experience, primary of which is Original Filipino Tapado.

I had previously studied Vasquez Modified Tapado under Headmaster Mike F. Vasquez of Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines, who reigned as Philippine Heavyweight Professional Karate Champion in the early 1970s.

Headmaster Vasquez started studying OFT under GM Nono Mamar in 1984. Aside from GM Mamar, he also had special sessions with then Master Lobrido and trained together with other Masters like Jose A Pamilangco and Nelson G. Carmona, both of Brgy Taloc, Bago City.

I am studying Oido de Caburata under 1st Generation Inheritor Grandmaster Jose Aguilar of Murcia and at times under his students, Masters Jimmy D. Villo and Ritchie S. Piodena in Bacolod City.

GM Aguilar is a student of the late Founder Grandmaster Antonio "ToƱing" Tolosa, also of Murcia.

I previously had the fortune of being taught a few moves by Grandmaster Sabas Gubaton of the Oido de Caburata Arnis Group (ODCA) in Bago City.

GM Sabas Gubaton is a younger brother of Grandmaster Abraham Gubaton, the Grand Patriarch of ODCA and a student of GM Aguilar and student and nephew of GM Tolosa.

I had also seen Karaan Tapado, descended from the late Grandmaster Norberto "Norbing" Mamar, the cousin of GM Nono Mamar, during some visits to San Carlos City, Negros Occidental and Bayawan City, Oriental Negros.

I wish to share some clarifications to all forum members participating in this thread.

1. Oido de Caburata (ODC) was founded in 1936/1937 and later became one of the foundations from which Original Filipino Tapado (OFT) was founded in 1960 (the others being lagas, sinamak, and layaw).

2. ODC uses a stick measuring 32" later Grandmaster Peding Abendan, being a smaller person, used a longer stick and held it with both hands. Thus, the long stick substyle of ODC was born.

3. GM Nono Mamar also used a long stick to maximize the attributes of his strikes and added a more sophisticated pigar and system of progressive levels "linya" in the two strikes taught in the art.

4. The differences between the ODC long stick and OFT include the trajectory of the strikes, the application of pigar, and the methodology of teaching.

5. Original Tapado from Bago and Karaan Tapado from San Carlos are not very popular since they rarely go out from their locality of origin and areas surrounding that locality.

6. Original Filipino Tapado is primarily concentrated in Taloc and have some presence in Bacolod City, Murcia, Silay City, Iloilo City, Louisiana, and Texas. At least one practitioner of Karaan Tapado is now living in Cebu.

7. Vasquez Modified Tapado right now is the most popular style of Tapado outside of the Philippines, having been introduced to foreign delegates of the 3rd International FMA Festival held by the International Modern arnis Federation Philippines (IMAFP) last July 2006 in Tagaytay.

8. Although OFT uses a stick of the same measure as the Japanese jo, it differs from jojutsu in the following respects:

* Jojutsu uses the stick in a double ended manner. OFT is a single ended long stick art. As such, OFT don't have the hand changes that is often associated with jo work, especially those used in Aikido.

* Jojutsu uses "fine" wood while OFT uses "raw" sticks. Broken sticks is a standard in OFT.

* Jojutsu uses parries and/or covers. OFT maneuvers are strike and block rolled into one.

* Jojutsu puts a premium on thrusting. OFT have less emphasis on thrusting.

* Jojutsu have several types of strikes. OFT only have two.

* Technically speaking, OFT strikes are more powerful.

9. There are both "bouncing from the ground" and floating techniques in OFT and VMT.

10. Tapado saw action twice in the Dog brothers videos. The first was between Ron Harris and Eric Knaus, who were classmates under GT Gaje. Harris lost the bout but Joe Tan later got the better of Knaus, especially in the 2nd round.

11. For those who can travel to Negros Occidental, OFTLSFAI can give an intensive seminar upon request.

12. Master Rueben Tansingco uses the term Tapado for his short stick techniques but it has no relation to OFT, VMT, or Karaan Tapado.

13. To see FT in action, please visit http://oftlsfai.blogspot.com.

Hope these details helps.

regards

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Fascinating! I really enjoyed watching the video clips.

Is there a reason why the stick is not used in a double-ended manner? Is it tradition, or strategy, or because of differences in the actual weapon used?

18. conceptual warrior

conceptual warrior New Member

Original Filipino Tapado

Some reasons why Tapado is a single-ended art:

1. Wielding the stick in a single-ended manner maximizes the weapon's reach and mass (force = mass x acceleration).

2. Single ended long stick is harder to penetrate than a double ended long stick because of differences in distance.

3. Inorder to use both ends of a stick, one needs time to transfer or shift. Although it only takes a very short period of time to do so, it always leave a "gap" (suki in Japanese arts) which can be taken advantage by an opponent. (The same is the case for the doble baston which can be defeated by a solo baston.)

4. The intent behind any strike is to finish the fight asap. Using just one end of the stick would give more time for striking and less in transferring.

5. Using just one end of the stick simplifies your defensive options.

6. Tapado techniques are designed for single ended usage of the long stick.

Hope these helps. God bless.

19. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Thanks! I appreciate this and the clips. I have no experience with tapado!

20. Malayu Sibat bears little resemblance to Tapado, at least the Topado of Romeo Mamar.

Malayu Sibat has a lot of swinging and follow ups that are not present in Topada. Topada's principle strike follows a vertical descending path with an immediate return/bounce back to the right shoulder area. The idea being that any strike will be picked up and the power dissipated by the larger topada weapon. Also the topada stick (coffee tree branch) will feed itself to the hands of the opponent by flowing down the weapon to the wrist along the vertical path. Any variables would be picked up by the #2 strike which comes from the left side in (if I remember correctly) an eliptical orbit striking the ground and then returning to the shoulder.

Malayu Sibat has more "traditional" striking patterns and variations.