Talibong used in Doce Pares

Discussion in 'Doce Pares' started by jezah81, Jun 29, 2009.

1. jezah81

jezah81 Member

Hi guys,

Is the talibong sword used in the doce pares style of martial arts? Can the talibong sword be adapted to use it in the techniques of the doce pares style?

Kind regards,

Jeremy Hagop

2. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

talibong

Off-hand I would guess that any long sword can be adapted for use in Doce Pares - particularly the largo mano curriculum.

Momoy Canete favored the use of the pinute, a long straight bolo that is common in the Vasayan region. Most talibongs that I've seen have a more curved blade than the pinute but that shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Are there any Doce Pares players with more understanding of the art than I have available for an opinion here?

Best,

Steve

3. jezah81

jezah81 Member

4. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Any blade can be used in any style of FMA... That is the nature of FMA after-all...

5. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Senior Member

Sure - no problem. Generally longer swords are used in largo mano styles because of the reach advantage. Momoy Canete favored the pinute (and I've heard some people say that he also liked a long, single-edged espada as well).

One of my old training partners practiced with a Cold Steel cutlass and I've seen the San Miguel Form performed with a Napoleonic-era cavalry sabre.

Best,

Steve

6. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Brit with a stick

Now that all depends on which DP style we are talking about here.

But I see no problems with that sword, as has been mentioned, the largo style would be suited for this weapon. and the SME would go well with it too. Go buy it.

Best regards

Pat

7. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I'm sure the Doce Pares lads can pick up any sword and make it sing..it isn't the blade but the man wielding it.

8. jezah81

jezah81 Member

Thanks for the info fellas. Its been much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jeremy Hagop

9. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Hello Jezah!

That is a great old blade from Panay you found, congratulations! If the blade is as heavy as it looks, it will change the way to swing. That baby was made for a completely different style of fighting than what you are talking about. Not saying you cannot do Doce Pares with it, but you have the tool, learn how to use it and use it the way it was intended to be used and it will only enhance your stills even further. That old Talibong or Tenegre has a compltely different feel than a Pinute/Pinute. Your movements will need to be more cirular to take full advantage of that type of blade. Again, Congratulations!