Take it outside!

Discussion in 'Dekiti Tirsia Siradas' started by R. Mike Snow, Jun 18, 2009.

1. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

I was practicing with a couple of new guys between classes on campus night before last. One of the guys was shaking his head about the old "chicken walking" I was doing and could not understand what the stepping is for. I kept telling him it is "multi-purpose". Faster and swinig your leg, helps to avoid a sweep and very useful on uneven terrain. Like any most other 21 year old male that is MMA crazed and full of testosterone. He wanted to prove me wrong....... After his long 21 years of Aikido, TKD and boxing with the smooth stepping, shuffling and swining his legs around. I just smiled on my way out through the muck on the greens from all this rain. : ) The poor guy acted like he had glue on his feet as I took my funny steps and rearranged his hair a little bit, I grazed his head maybe 5 - 6 times before he realized the the "old men" back in the day "moves so funny" for good reason. I pointed my baston out to let him grab on to help him up. Then we moseyed back in to the building so he could try to clean the mud off his pants. And he actually suggested that we practice outside every once in a while to make it more real........ So i just smiled and acted like I never did suggest that at least a dozen times in the past.

This the same college buddy that wants to know why the "old man" moves so funny and he swings so funny with a sword too. After i showed a little footage of GT in action. "The guy on YouTube doesn't swing like that.", I have no idea who he's talking about, but I cannot wait til next week. : ) I will put a real Ilonggo blade in his hand and he will see why we "move so funny". No stick twirlers delight going on here. : ) We're go'in heavy............. I love the "Old Ways"!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  2. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Eyes open when truth is revealed....and I agree OLD SCHOOL rocks!

3. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Environmental training is most definitely different than working in the comfort of the airconditioned dojo or school with mats or carpet.. Feel the earth beneath your feet and the hard impact when you are thrown from a lock which isn't released until you actually get about 4 inches from the ground..

Forget about the rotting smell of the Jungle foilage, live the attack from an attacker from a higher elevation, defend from the lower elevation..

Live from experience, learn from the older practitioners, keep what you learn and pass it on to your student..

Old school rocks, even if the rocks hit you from time to time

4. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I like taking the lads down to the pits..an old river bed running through the hill country...it's funny as hell watching their klutzy butts the first time they work on uneven ground...they wise up quickly though.

Nothing better than taking a few hundred falls on terrafirma, get a little dust up brewing.

5. Kailat

Kailat KAILAT KOMBATIVES GROUP

MIKE,

It is funny, because I can actually remember my Eskrima teacher pulling out a large heavy a** log chain and started swinging it slowly at me as we were to do replacement (female triangle) stepping. It was a slow process but I immedietly realized the reasoning behind it the first time i was hit by that heavy a** chain.. that bugger hurt and stung like a mofo..

It was immedietly after this training Guro pulled out the machete and started swinging at me in a downward motion as i was to V step thru it. And if your feet wasn't moving correctly your leg was hit w/ the possibility of a cut to the back of the calf.. That brings reality to the training.

6. R. Mike Snow

I think that I have posted about this before, but I remeber the fist time GT was in Indiana and on his second visit after returning from NJ. If I remember correctly, Brian Rideout and Arnisador were both there. We were all struggling with a new Contrada GT just through at us and he was starting to get a little frustratedbecause we were all getting smacked in the back of the leg. So he marched over to his sandata bag and pullede out his Ginunting. We all lined up and all of sudden a miracle occurred. Every one of us stepped in there a did the footwork perfectly. So you gentlemen are right on about how the old fighters know how to get the job done, even motivational methods. : ) I wonder if I could get away with using that type of motivational technique ?? hhhhmmmmm.......
    Yep, and you're right Bill. I hope to get the date for the gathering slash mud & mosquito camp set pretty soon. So if it poors down rain it will be perfect. : ) A great time, good food and reality based training all wrapped up in one.Plus I wonder who will win the eating contest this year? Last year was a draw between GT and Arnisador. LOL Of course Arnisador was not trying to compete, I just kept brining him food, " Man dude, you got to try this!" : )

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I remember this! I was worried at first, but he was right. :)

Yeah, that was good eating, dude!

See you on Sat.!

8. R. Mike Snow

I will not ever forget what he said afterword either,"No one ever mates a mistake when with The Blade....." Well until a couple of years ago anyway. I got my leg cut a little when GT and I were practicing Herada. On like the third counter, I did not drop fast enough and he got the bottom my shin. Those ankel high slashes are hard to deal with at first.