Taekwondo

Discussion in 'General' started by The Phalanx, Mar 2, 2009.

1. The Phalanx

The Phalanx FMA's Frank Lucas

Why is it that alot of people bring it down so much? I mean I am not a big fan of it either but what are your takes on it?

2. Moro

Moro New Member

i used to do taekwondo a long time ago. I guess people don't think its a well rounded martial art. It is so common also...i mean its like check cashing places in the ghetto...its taekwondo school one on every corner.

3. Raul

Raul Mananandata

I love taekwondo. Those who are dissing it are just jealous coz they can't be or do TKD.

4. fangjian

fangjian Jo Dong

I've never tried TKD but I am a fan of what I have seen. They have some very cool and unique kicking techniques seldom used in other Kickboxing styles. And their speed when kicking is awesome. The training methods and conditioning of Muay Thai, Yaw Yan, San Shou etc. are better suited for real combat though, I think. TKD's downfall is it's comparison to these styles.

I have seen some fighters ( MMA ) recently that are TKD guys. I assume they have adopted a training method better suited for MMA while still retaining the TKD flavor, which is really cool.

5. Killbot

Killbot Sereeus Biznus

I'm also not a huge fan of TKD, I tried a little bit of it, but when they told me I couldn't throw more than two punches at an opponent at a time and to keep my hands down(??!?!???!!!) for balance, I pretty much walked out.

Training methods can vary and so can schools from what I've seen. And , as with everything, its not so much the art as the practicioner. Even if I believe MMA to be the best all around martial art, a person who uses it poorly doesn't do the art any favors. Just like a highly profecient TKD fighter can be effective....at kicking.

TKD to me is too one dimensional. If thats the one dimension you want to train specifically or if you want to add that dimension to your overall game, sure. But its certainly not the ultimate fight system. Nothing really is. MMA and FMA come close.

6. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Depends on whose TKD were talking about. I was stationed in South Korea during my military days and was fortunate enough to work with some ROK Marines. THE ROK used TKD as a base for their H2H...these cats were double tough and would kick your spleen into a new zip code and had no qualms about doing so. Now if your talking about the powder puff TKD that has been watered down so much that it more resembles a bad dance as opposed to a viable self defense art then I am in agreement. In the long run folks WHO CARES? It truly shouldn't matter to you, me or Bubba who studies what and why...it is personal choice plain and simple...if it makes someone happy learning Who Flung Poo then I say Kudos , go for it! Some folks like hamburger others dig steak it's all in the choices and the taste.

7. WuLord187

WuLord187 Albo Kali Silat Student

In the US its rare to find any true essence raw TKD to be used in self defense. However I can admit after practicing TKD with a legit practitioner my flexibility and kicking speed/precision increased drastically. For me I use TKD as subset for my kick training as with boxing for my punch training but I also train with various martial artist and concepts to improve my techniques, skills, and cypher technique weaknesses. What has hurt TKD in the states are some of the ATA schools that over charge and have various contracts: contracts to learn copyrighted forms, a contract to learn a weapon form, a contract to POINT SPAR, and a contract to proceed to black belt level. In WV an ATA school will charge a child over $130/month (which expensive for WV) for 45 minutes of practice. But ATA schools aren't the only ones hurting TKD. In my opinion the majority of TKD in the US is nothing more than a sport or a tune up kit to help improve kicks. However there are some dangerous TKD guys that exist just a small number.

8. RatDrall

RatDrall New Member

I trained in TKD for many years when I was in middle and high school. It was a good workout, but it was very watered down and definately not geared for self defense. At my school, you basically bought your belts, resulting in many blackbelts who couldn't fight their way out of a hole in the ground. There were a number of people who would throw a fit if you "hit them too hard" through their padded armor while sparring for points. There were a few people there who were very fast, and did well in tournament style sparring. This isn't all TKD schools, but was certainly the bulk of my experience.

I'm now trying to learn Albo Kali Silat, a much more practical system taught by a much more experienced and realistic teacher. I'm the greenest student in the room and learn more from every bruise ("my hand shouldn't have been there, I'll be faster next time....") than I did in weeks of politically correct TKD classes.

I believe that the instructor plays a huge roll in the tone and real life effectiveness of his classes, but certain arts are more suited to modern self defense than others. I'm not quite sure how TKD evolved, but the techniques that I spent most of my time learning in classes were far from usable on the street.

All that said, I have a large amount of respect for a strong TKD kicker, and would make it a point to get in close and fast if up against one.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  9. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Old school TKD is brutal and was brutal. Mike Blackgrave above is spot on in that TKD at it's core can and is a brutal art. (The ROK has proven that over and over) Old school TKD also emphasized hand strikes and had a plethora of throws and takedowns and concentrated strikes low line to high line. Definitely dangerous. Now the newer version of TKD that is found everywhere is definitely more all about kicking and the sporting version. Now I have trained with a number of Olympic TKD athletes and their athleticism is phenomenal and they can be dangerous even if they train in a limited manner. Still the system they study is a sport and not really a self defense art. [​IMG]

10. Muad Dib

Muad Dib New Member

I did TKD for a little over 5 years and really enjoyed my time in it. BUT: I've known SO many TKD 'senior instructors' who couldn't fight their way out of a wet-paper bag with a sharp stick!! No kidding. The massive majority of TKD that you run into anymore is little more than tournament foot-flapping with very little substance / depth at ALL. It's sad to see too, because if anyone was around when TKD's name hadn't yet been drug into the mud by the belt-peddlers.....it was good stuff.

Just this last month I ran into an old co-worker who'd started TKD with her two teenage sons 9 months ago. They each now have "Red" belts (I believe it's a modern rendition of Moo Duk Kwan) and aren't that far away from black, according to what she said her instructor (a "GrandMaster from Korea".....so you KNOW he's GOOD) said. I worked out with her for about 1/2 an hour....and all of her techs were.....well
    ...lets just call them "sloppy" and not up to par at ALL.

sad deal. I didn't tell her how I viewed her execution...I want her to enjoy her experience, but she's thinking that her belt and 9 months of tkd are a sign that she's SAFE!
    :(

11. geezer

geezer Member

You're right Raul. I can't do Tae Kwon Do. I'm middle-aged and have sustained some major leg injuries. But when I was younger, I found that a good infighting game and fast hands served me pretty well against my TKD practicing friends who were at about my same level. Those who were better kicked my butt, but hey, that's what you'd expect, right? Anyway, I don't think people hate all TKD, just the proliferation of over commercialized, bad TKD.

Actually, what rubs me the wrong way is tiny Tyke-wondo. I often eat a a sandwich shop at a nearby strip-mall, located next store to a typical TKD McDojo. When their class lets out, the place is flooded with four-foot tall kiddie blackbelts. By comparison, a friend of mine, a champion wrestler at that, spent something like nine or ten years of hard work to get his BJJ black belt. And he is tough as nails. Draw your own conclusions.

12. Enganyo

Enganyo New Member

3-4 years WTF TKD as teen before going to FMA. The dojang went from small school to McDojo frequent and more expensive promotion tests. Curriculum was TKD (all the strikes) and "Hapkido" (weapons, pressure points, grappling and material for kids older than 14 yrs).

What I liked: Good training environment and people. A fluid art that emphasized setting up and countering kicks at various times (before, during, after an attack). Good intro on sport training plans, MA in general, and the use of kick pads and punching bags.

What I hated: Arrogant bully of a GM who believed that the 5% of time training us on remedial forms with no applications and forms. The GM hired and fired 4 BBs in the 4 years. Some of the BB's were primadonnas INCLUDING the one's I liked. This subject alone I could write a page on.

Technical nitpick. I found my center of gravity too high being on the balls of my feet for so long. Nobody would have to take me down, I'd be more likely to jump into their arms/shoulders as they caught my kick. The high center habit took the longest to train out, more than any other habit.

The traditional blocks were never taught with an application and I never saw anyone pull one off in TKD sparring rules. I got some ideas for applications later from a kung fu classmate/elder student in my FMA class.
    I also got constant cramps, muscle pulls, and sprained ankle bouts.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009