Tactical Flashlights.

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by arnisador, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Yep, our tax dollars are part of the reason that support the high price. At the same time...they are built to be tough enough for the LEOs, fire fighters, and other First Responders that depend on a bright light to save someone's life and protect public safety.

But there is also a market for collectors and flashlight geeks. There is something empowering to controling a light source. I surfed over to another forum once and saw a thread that was entitled something like "What's the best light to buy if you want just want one good light?"

The response was...there's no such thing as buying just one. :D :D

Some of the anecdotes were pretty funny, as a few of the posters started talking about what got them in to flashlight collecting. One fellow was a pilot. "Originally I just needed a light to use in the cockpit..." ;)

Although...if this light was used to strike someone...at 20 ounces, that would certainly get my attention. But sheesh....that becomes a pretty darn expensive baton. :eek:

2. nash

nash New Member

If you think what you pay is expensive, you should see what the government agencies pay. My unit bought quite a few surefires to attach to our weapons, small pocket-sized ones. I saw them in the store for $60, when the unit ordered them they were over $100!!!! A forty dollar increase for the guys that defend our country.

3. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

That's stunning, and sad. I've seen the weapon lights you are talking about Nash. The taxpayer is footing the bill, which is bad enough...but...to nearly double the price for the hard-working folks that need it most, that's just wrong in so many ways.

Salute to you for keeping us safe! :) Thank you so much for your service.

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Are they made to even harsher military specs, though? For the sand etc.?

5. nash

nash New Member

Actually, they are pretty much the same as the ones you can buy in the store. The only thing different is the mount that attaces to the weapon. The mount is equipped with a special trigger that activates the light without having to take your trigger finger away from the trigger well.

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Junior Member

how about an attachment for tactical batons like these?

[​IMG]

www.littlebadboy.net for more information.

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I kind of like that idea, actually!

8. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

USA Today story.

Cops give LED flashlights a try

There were additional graphics in the print edition.

9. young blade

young blade New Member

I heard one of the reasons that they plan to issue those flashlights is to prevent police brutality. They said it's way lighter than what they have today..so they can't use it as an impact weapon to their supects...like what the news camera caught that have placed the reputation of the LAPD in jeopardy before (I can't remember what year that incident happened)

10. Will

Will New Member

11. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

The USA Today story talked about that--keeping it from being used as a club. I have mixed feelings about someone taking a potential weapon away from LEOs!

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's cheap! I like cheap. How did it hold up?

13. Will

Will New Member

Very well! It’s made of aircraft aluminum so it can take a good beating. I recommended it to all on the crew.

14. Silence_sucks

Silence_sucks New Member

That defender model looks like it would make for one hell of a gunting!

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, that's a great choice for a dulo-dulo!

16. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

'Solor' Flashlight.

Solar Flashlight Lets Africa's Sun Deliver the Luxury of Light to the Poorest Villages

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Seen on MT.

Cobra Stunlight

Combines a red laser and a pepper spray in a high-intensity flashlight. Looks neat!

"Defends Against Numerous Attackers"

Well...

18. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I carry a surefire model 2e defender which has a raised lens cap on both ends.. I use it for my patrol work and it is in my hand when I am on approach to a car which is pulled over or when I am interviewing some one at night..

Before I got the surefire, I carried the stream light twin action which is about 6-7 inches long and has a white light as well as a LED setting.. It was about the size in diameter of a kubotan, but it was good for take downs and pain compliance execution when I was working private security.

The olisi palad (palm stick) training comes in good for use with the tactical flashlights and with the right amount of pressure, it can work wonders as to making a suspect compliant to your commands without having to resort to OC spray or the expandable baton..

Bill
    Defensive Tactics

19. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

This is something I admire about Bram Frank's Gunting knife--it can be used for pain compliance like a palm stick with the blade coming out as a last resort.