Tactical Flashlights.

Discussion in 'Misc. Stick Arts' started by arnisador, Aug 24, 2006.

1. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

An article in today's edition of the Wall Street Journal ("'Tactical' Flashlights Emerge Into the Spotlight") discusses the new breed of tactical flashlights with an emphasis on the pocket-stick-sized ones. They discuss the military applications and the decision to market to civilians; in fact, it says that when th emilitary didn't but SureFire's "The Beast" (an early version), the company sold 80 of them to consumers at $2,999 (yes, that's nearly three thousand dollars) each.

Self-defense instructor James William is quoted as saying "Small flashlights are one of the single best things you can have with you" and that "The ability to control light--prevent someone from seeing you--that's a huge thing".

I bought a cheap Smith&Wesson version a few months ago. It's surprisingly bright--it's too bright to look into. I'd like the handgrip to be about a half an inch longer, but apart from that it's an interesting pocket stick.

2. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

The light is bright and even so you can see what you are shooting. ;) It's also VERY effective at scaring off 4-legged predators. :D

Mr. William makes a good point, but I don't totally agree with him. By shinging a light at someone you are also giving a committed attacker a point of reference as to exactly where you are. A flashlight is just a tool. Like any tool it has advantages and drawbacks.

I borrowed a Surefire Executive Defender awhile back and loved it. It's bright and tough...say the girl who breaks mag lights :blush: :D

The surface was grippy enough that I could hold it in my left (weaker) hand and actually be able to do maneuvers with it without fumbling it...which frees up my right (stronger) hand to punch and block. That also gave me a bit of confidence that I could hold on to it during rough conditions...such as with my bare hands in the middle of a New England winter. Plus it has all these nasty surfaces that can be used to make impact from a variety of hand positions/angles.

Not sure how happy Law Enforcement would be to see one used in a fight, however.

3. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Yes, I included that quote in part because I was somewhat skeptical of what he said and was curious what others would think. Clearly it's useful...but preventing someone from seeing you seems overblown, almost comic book-ish, and as to one of the single best things you could have, I can think of weapons I might list higher up. Still, for something not exclusively a weapon, it seems like a nice choice--with blinding and striking/controlling options.

I have long wondered this, especially with the club-like maglights. Will the courts really accept that it was "just" a flashlight that happened to be used as a weapon, when they're marketed as they are? Or will it be treated as though the person with the flashlight was carrying a weapon around?

4. Yes, i love "tactical" flashlights (shoot, everything seems to be "tactical" huh?)

i train with the Surefire Executive Defender:

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/1132/sesent/00

i personally love the strike bevels... and the light, damn i still see spots!...

also, i carry my flashlight instead of any of my folders as my everyday carry... less legal ramifcations i guess...

Captain

5. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Mine doesn't have the beveling...I kind of expected to see it, frankly!

6. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

On the third episode of Personal Defense TV they focus on lights--handheld, integral to a pistol, glow-in-the-dark gun sights, lasers, etc. One thing they showed as ways to use the small tactical flashlights with a pistol, using both hands to grip both together. The importance of the "momentary switch" on the butt end was emphaszied--you can turn off the light quickly so that you can't be seen by your opponent!

7. Carol

The girl who breaks MagLites is now the girl who breaks Surefires.

Either I'm a total klutz or my 4 year spent earning a B.Mus gave me REALLY strong fingers.

My (own) Executive Defender lasted about a day. I broke the switch. Although in fairness I've heard a couple of E2Ds have had switch problems...which kind of makes sense given that it's the only moving part in the unit.

I'm not sure if I will get another E2D. The damn thing is almost painful to grab it's got so many sharp surfaces. On the other hand....I'm sure it would hurt like hell if I actually had to hit someone with it.

I do love that blinding light though...anything that creates difference between me and a bad guy is a good thing.

8. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

I own one of these Surefire flashlights and I have to say, they are awesome to have! Those bulbs are so damn bright that it really does a great job in temporarily blinding a perpetrator/aggresor prior to closing in on them and finishing them off. They also work great as a "pak-sak"(palm-stick) type of device for fist-fighting. These are an ideal tool to add to the arsenal for security personnel, military, bodyguard or law enforcement.

Daniel Arola

9. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I never really thought I'd want one and only got one recently after reading an article on them in a New Mexico newspaper. But I have quickly come to be a believer. The main thing to realize is that they are much brighter than one would expect. That combined with the dulo-dulo aspect makes them a handire tool tahn might be expected.

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

With a grip like that, who needs martial arts training? :D

Do you have a link to a picture of this multi-edged model? It sounds reminescent of an octagonal nunchaku?

11. Carol

It's not octagonal, just mean. It was designed to simulate a tactile effect of dragging a broken bottle across the skin. The edges aren't knife-sharp...but...they hurt even with light contact.

It's a mean little device...

[​IMG]

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

A "defender" flashlight...looks cool!

13. Carol

It is cool. :)

A couple of drawbacks...I'm not sure how the "Executive Defender" name parlays with law enforcement. Although...I've seen a few LEOs that are familiar with the unit and with Surefire lights so hopefully if the worst happens I get an understanding police officer. Worst case, I can make a case that I am an executive and I needed to defend myself. :D :D

The other drawback is, the bright light means heavy battery drain. I'm not sure the availability of these batteries outside of stores that sell Surefires. I may be able to find them in a place that sells camera batteries. For now, I keep an extra pair in my car.

So far I haven't used it to defend myself, but it has been extremely helpful at coaxing a wild racoon away from my car, and helping a colleague with a dead battery.

14. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Heh, it sounds like if you only drained a battery you'd be doing better than what happened to your last few flashlights!

I like the look of yours better than mine, and I do like mine! Does the pocket clip interfere with your grip?

15. Carol

I had to pull my light out and find out. :D

I largely don't find the pocket clip to be interfering. Its curved in a way that meshes with my hand well. About the only position that I found to be unpleasant was if the clip dug in to the web of skin between my thumb and forefinger. If it did, it was easy enough to circle the light around so the clip was out of the way.

The nubby surface of the light is so easy to hold, it's hard for anything to interfere with the grip...including bad weather. :)

16. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Tactical flashlights are essential for serious personal protection whether on the street or in your house they are very effective as impact tools as well as momentarily being able to blind your assailant. I have this version :
    [​IMG]
    PentagonLight x2xenon (military specifications)
    This is an awesome light and a great small
    defensive tool.

17. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I like yours better than mine. I have flashlight envy!

18. Carol

Ah, I understand. That can happen. ;)

But...migod...

The Surefire 10X Dominator.

Its...big.

It has a tactical light (tight and focused) and a searchlight (broad and sweeping). The tactical light is as bright as mine. The searchlight is...ummm...8x brighter. 500 lumens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How bright is 500 lumens? Imagine a power failure places you in pitch darknesss, and you turn on a flashlight in your room...and the flashlight is as bright as a small table lamp. That's...pretty darn bright.

And as a beam...found this photo on the net of a workshed that has been lit up using the searchlight.

[​IMG]

If you REALLY want light...I suppose that's the piece.

It weighs 20 oz/567 g.

Wisely, Surefire made this with a rechargeable battery pack, although given that they used a NiCd instead of NiMH, I think they skimped on the battery...especially considering the hefty price of the unit.

$450 with charger, $399 without.

19. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

It amazes me how expensive some of these are! FOr me, that price isn't justifiable.

20. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Arnisador, they are marketing to police, fire and other tactical agencies. That is why they are sooooo bloody expensive. (the govt. will pay that price)