Suntukan as its own martial art

Discussion in 'General' started by Pinuti, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Pinuti

Pinuti New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suntukan

sikaran is its own indigenous unarmed martial art of the philippines, why isn't suntukan or any unarmed fma that focuses on empty hands taught as its own thing or focused more over weapons considering that majority of the worlds martial arts focus more on empty hands like muay thai

2. jspeedy

jspeedy Member

There may be multiple answers to this question but here are my thoughts. First, there are many, many FMAs; how many of them offer suntukan/panantukan? Perhaps a relative few.

Also, unarmed technique is only one aspect of a more complete system. You could ask "why doesn't some Karate focus on only weapons?" or "Why doesn't BJJ focus on only throws?" or "Muay thai only on punches?" The arts in mention including FMA were designed to be a complete system to take only one aspect would be regressive. Some of my examples are a little ridiculous, I know. BJJ with only throws would essentially be Judo, and Muay Thai with only punches would be very close to boxing. But my point is that there are already systems that specialize in the mentioned methods and while there may be players within a system that choose a particular aspect to specialize in within the system, they still learn it as a whole.

3. Pinuti

Pinuti New Member

That makes sense, but the idea here is just to find that specific style that focuses on suntukan, learn it, emphasize it, and than spread it so it can become a well known/used martial art that is indigenous to the Philippines. The only unarmed combat that would be close is sikaran, but that emphasizes on kicks rather than both upper and lower body striking, including grappling (dumog). Just to let you know, this question corresponds with my other thread "has fma ever been in competition against arts and won?"

4. blindside

blindside student

My question would be "why?" Is this some point of nationalist pride?

5. Pinuti

Pinuti New Member

Well I feel that fma is kind of lost its edge in being effective.

Most martial arts were developed from competition. The Ancient Egyptians/Greeks/Spartans/Romans, ALL did combat sports both for games (ie. Olympics) and to prepare themselves for war. There was no loss of "true essence" in the Western arts. Competition kept them ready for war. And in Western militaries they still do this.

Modern militaries train in MMA, the Navy seals also do BJJ, and their ever-important gun-specific training. They keep knife training to a bare minimum, while their unarmed and weapon training is expanded. They don't spend budget and valuable time on an art based on knife fighting. Do they learn how to do specific things with them? Yes, the bare minimum, but they don't waste their time learning those arts. On the other side, rankings (like belt systems) and competitons are held for unarmed martial arts.

My point is that modern militaries spend more time on gun training, and unarmed training while other type of weapon training (knife, stick) is bare bones. /biblelengthpost