Sumbrada

Discussion in 'JKD-Kali' started by SuperToe, Apr 19, 2006.

1. SuperToe

SuperToe Member

12 STAGES OF SUMBRADA

1. 1 BLOCK - 1 HIT

2. HITTING BLOCK

3. 1 BLOCK 2 - 3 HITS

4. 1 BLOCK 2 - 3 HITS
    A. NEGATIVE TO POSITIVE
    HAGAD / LANSI TO TINUOD
    THE USE OF ENGANIO AND ALGANGIAN

5. PUNYO Y PUNYO
    A. WITH PUNYO ONLY
    B. WITH DUNGOB ONLY
    C. PUNYO Y PUNTA MIX

6. HUBUD WITH PUNYO AND PUNTA SUMBRADA

7. ENTRADA Y RETERADA
    MOVING IN AND OUT OF LONG MEDIUM AND CLOSE RANGES

8. ADD TO CONTRA SUMBRADA
    AGAW, KUNSI, BUNO, WALIS, BREAKS, THROWS, ELBOWS
    PUNCHES, KNEES, TRIPS, ETC.

9. 1 BLOCK AND HIT LIMBS

10. USING DIFFERENT WEAPONS & RECEIVING DIFFERENT WEAPONS

11. ADD DIFFERENT ENVIROMENTS & COUNTER WITH DUMOG, WITH
    OR WITHOUT WEAPONS.

12. SPARRING
    A. NON-CONTACT
    B. LIGHT CONTACT
    1. MIDDLE & CLOSE QUARTER
    2. LONG RANGE TO LIMBS AND HANDS
    C. MEDIUM CONTACT TO ALL PARTS
    D. MEDIUM TO HEAVY CONTACT W/ARMOR AND HEAD GEAR
    E. HEAVY TO MEDIUM CONTACT (ARMOR MANDITORY) ALL ELEMENTS

Copyed from warriors way International

2. JPR

JPR New Member

Different meaning for Sumbrada?

SuperToe,

I am a bit confused, and perhaps this is because of different meanings for the same word / drill. The usage of Sumbrada that I familiar with is "counter for counter". You attack, I defend, I attack, you defend etc. It has often been compared to playing pitch and catch. Is that what you are refering to?

JPR

3. SuperToe

SuperToe Member

Those are all Counter to counter type drills...

I think what your thinking of is Me, you, me you. type motions!
    Some of these are back and fourth but adding to it!

Sparring fits in here! Even when you add some strikes!
    ---------------------
    Abecdario is one person feeding and one taking it!

There is some back and fourth in here also! The return hit, I also hit it!

Im not sure if im doing justice to this, so if anyone can help me explain it would be appreated..

Mp

4. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

What I think of as Sumbrada, from Modern Arnis and two versions of JKD-Kali, is what we called the six-count drill in Modern Arnis, plus its variations (10-count, punyo, two stick, stick-and-dagger). A strikes a forehand diagonal high, B blocks; B immediately strikes a backhand mid-level, A blocks; A immediately strikes a vertical downward strike to the head, B roof-blocks; repeat, with B striking a forehand diagonal high, etc.

5. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

Sumbrada with live kris blades

Here's a clip of myself and Jason Couture training with live kris blades practicing the standard Sumbrada drill.
    [​IMG]
    Can you DIG IT?

6. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

Modern reproductions or antiques?

7. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Cool! How do you fight the urge to slash the arm when you block, though? :D

8. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

They're modern reproductions, Alligator Man. I know better than to use the older ones. Those are being well-kept.

9. blindside

blindside student

While I am familiar with sumbrada drills like your vid clip demonstrated, I don't understand the progression that SuperToe has listed.

Could someone describe how you would practice steps 2 and 3 (hitting block and block +2/3 hits).

Thanks,

Lamont

10. kroh

kroh New Member

I have to say that I love the animations, Daniel. Much love to Fort Bragg too (3/505th for me...)

From discussions on the Warrior's Way Forum where this was originally posted, Mr. Elmore has explained that these are ways to "break the drill" to make them less repetative. Also, the hitting block can refer to striking the incomming limb of the attack rather than blocking against the stick. The 1 block-two hit thing can refer to breaking the drill into its component peices and practicing it that way.

If you have questions i would suggest that you head over (http://warriorswaytx.com/) there and ask them about it. Good bunch of guys and very laid back. I highly recomend them.

Regards,
    Walt

11. Buwaya

Buwaya Senior Member

:D

12. Epa

Epa Member

Blindside,

I haven't done much with the sumbrada progression, but here is my take on the material.

Hitting blocks: My take on the hitting block stage is that instead of blocking your partner's weapon you block the weapon arm instead. The motion of the block is the same, it's just a different target. For example, if I do an inside deflection/sweep/block I put my stick onto my partner's hand, which takes a higher degree of accuracy. In my experience this is easiest to do with daggers because blocking weapon to weapon is fairly difficult so you naturally target the arm more.

Multiple follow ups: My take on this is that it's focusing on going from a defense into a combination back into a defense. This helps break the pattern of a lot of sumbrada training where you take turns on each beat. I haven't seen specific sumbradas for this, but inserts put into the more common ones like the six and ten count sumbradas. When Guro Dan has demoed this I've seen him use abanicos for his combinations because they are so quick.

For example, in six count instead of doing an inside deflection and hitting directly with a backhand to the body, you would throw a backhand abanico (I prefer to the opponent's weapon hand), a forehand abanico to the head and then throw the backhand to the body. If you throw the strikes quickly, it can upset your partner's timing for them to try to get their stick up to block the strikes.

Then when your parnter responds to your backhand with a drop stick, they could feed to high abanicos to the head and follow it up with the vertical strike, which you would roof block...

I hope that helps,
    Eric

13. blindside

blindside student

Gotcha, so you are hitting on quarter beats and your partner responds on the half?

Thanks,

Lamont

14. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

It is always good to throw in little variables like that to keep your partner on his/her feet!

Brian R. VanCise
    www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

15. DAMAG-INC

DAMAG-INC New Member

16. kroh

kroh New Member

Video's look like you guys were having fun! Love to train with you guys but it would be a hella commute...Regards,walt

17. Boar Man

Boar Man New Member

Cool video

18. Boar Man

Boar Man New Member

Just on a side note

I one time asked GM Remy what Sumbrada meant and he told me it meant like a shadow, like from a street light. So I took it like you are repaeting the same strikes or patterns over again as your partner is like being his shadow.

Thnaks for the list though, that is great.

Mark

19. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That's what we call the 6-count drill.

The YouTube video was fun to watch! Espada y daga is my favorite version of this drill by, far. It makes the most sense in that form, to my mind.