Sulong Tourney

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by silat1, Dec 9, 2007.

1. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Merry Christmas all you stick swinging elves

Just to give you the heads up that the Guam contingent for the 2008 Sulong tourney is gearing up for 10 months of training to take the over all championships of the tourney..

So far, I have two guys including myself who are going to start slinging sticks on a more dedicated schedule.. We are training twice a week and currently due to our work schedules, but this will increase as time permits with the additional people who are starting to show interest from the Kajukenbo group..
    We are in touch with some instructors from the Philippines and have received some training invitations to go to their schools in the next year and fight in the tourneys in the Philippines as we are invited.. This is going to be the prep for our trip to the Sulong tourney in October.

This will give you stateside practitioners who are hanging on the fence line as to commit to training in preparation for this tourney as it gives you 10 months to get ready to have the Guam express run over your tracks and show you what we practice on the west side of the International date line and the small island of Gilligan that I came back to after 2 yrs of freezing my nodes off in Chicago.

BTW: Just to let you know that GM Nene Tortal is scheduled to be in the states this summer for two (count them two) summer training camps, one to be held in the mosquito infested swamp lands of Indiana at Mike Snow's and the other to be held at the Midway Kodenkan school in Chicago the week after..

Dates of these camps can be confirmed by contacting Mike Snow and John Bednarski.. These camps are sponsored in part by the Dekiti Tirsia Siradas groups of the midwest and are a part of the Sulong Association's mission to enhance the exposure of the FMA in the Midwest..

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  2. Nautilus

Nautilus New Member

stick swinging elf

As a stateside practitioner, I myself am gearing up for the upcoming Sulong Tourney! Also looking forward to training again with Grandmaster Tortal at the Midway Kodenkan Dojo... It is always a privilege and honor to learn from him. I'll see ya at the Tourney!

3. NAGA

NAGA Member

The Sulong Championship!

Hello All,
    The Sulong Championship will be held on Sunday October 12th, in New Lenox Illinois. This is a holiday weekend so for those traveling for the tournamnet the burden of a quick in and out is lifted. The tournamet will also have dedicated Karate (traditional), Tae Kwon Do, Open, Jujitsu (traditional) with a section dedicated to just Danzan RYU kata, and of course everybodies favorite the Pacific Island ring. Just a reminder the Pacific Island ring is open to players of FMA (Filipino martial art), IMA (Indonesian Martial art) and I am going to now coin another new acronym HMA (Hawaiian Martial art)... Also GM Tortal will be demonstrating, as well as other suprise guests! So come on out and in the Spirit of family, fun and fellowship experience the event everyone is talking about.

thanks,
    John

4. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

Bill, if you are coming , just leave those brown tree snakes there. Dayum they get into everything. He he
    I am planning on coming down from the frozen north to participate next year and I hope that this gets a bit bigger as we go. Winning weapons ( toys) instead of trophies is always a plus.
    "Yoda"

5. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I'm going to be going to the Philippines in February and sourcing out a reliable source of equipment and toys to be used as prizes.. I am also planning on hitting the areas around Manila where there are a lot of muslim from mindanao and seeing what I can get.. When I was in the PI in 03, I went to Baguio and found a place that had a lot of the hill tribes of Luzon weapons to include shields and bangkaws, so I am going to be hitting that also.. Will keep you informed Bill

6. kuntawguro

do you want my shopping list now? he he Having weapons as prizes or awards is sooooo much better than plastic trophies. And having them come from the Philippines or Indonesia is better than from Franks Army Navy Surplus.

Those of you who are FMA< IMA practitioners- you really should make this tourney a must do next year. Besides being a well run- ego at the door tourney- John and Frank are gracious hosts and you feel welcome.
    Buzz

7. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

Count me in as a tentative yes. That's a few weeks before my 40th birthday and I can't think of a better way to celebrate than by playing with deadly weapons ;)

8. Bill Bednarick

Bill Bednarick Junior Member

Carol,

It's a great event and we can use more female practitioners at it.
    Hopefully you'll make it and fight.
    I competed this year at 40, and will be fighting in it again next year.

9. silat1

silat1 Active Member

40 my @ss, I'll be competing as the senior citizen since I will be 55 when the tourney comes about.. I hopefully will be able to fight in my wheel chair and respirator or at least have people to help me out of the wheel chair and during the break between rounds, have my oxygen mask available.

10. Carol

Age, schmage. I only mentioned that because its yet another reason to celebrate and have a good time. I wanted to plan something for my 40th that I'll remember fondly. :)

I'm just wondering if you have a klutz division ??? :D

11. Bill Bednarick

They weren't giving much of a break between rounds this year Bill.
    I barely got my mask off and walked out of the ring then had another match and the next fight I didn't even get to do that.

12. Bill Bednarick

Age and treachery Ms. Carol.:EvilGrin: Age and treachery.

That's all I'm going to say.

13. kuntawguro

Hmmm, I'm 57 and I competed . So, that takes away many excuses

14. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

But you are special Buzz! [​IMG]

15. Carol

Can't I just concede to Maraiah now and get it over with? :D :D

16. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Nah, there's a reason why the Manongs carry and walk with tungkod daily.. It is to beat off the young whippersnappers who think they are the next version of Chief Lapu Lapu.. The Tungkod puts all respective opponents on edge when they see a Manong walking down the street and not doing the "Putting on the Ritz" style of stick work..

The Tungkod that I use is from my days of Balintawak and is built especially for my Louisville arnis style that I have to use here and in the states..

The Louisville arnis system should be well established in chicago by now as I have seen a few practitioners walking and swinging their tungkods on a daily basis when I was back there earlier this year..

Be aware of the Masked Tungkod, he will be making an appearance at the Sulong Tourney in October. (If he can get elderly discounts on the airlines)

17. Carol

If at first you don't succeed...destroy all the incriminating evidence. :D :D

This may be my first formal tournament so....don't kill the white belt, eh? :)

18. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Nah we don't kill the white belt, we just tenderize them like we did in Kajukenbo and in Balintawak. :EvilGrin:

In the immortal words of kajukenbo instructors I have had trained with.

What a treat, Fresh Meat :party:

19. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Damn, I will be unable to attend once again. I am slated for Indonesia from the 11th of October to the 30th....I do however wish you all well. And if you can't play fair by all means cheat, cheat, cheat....LOL....

20. Sabraxas

Sabraxas New Member

I should be attending the October tourney. I was too new to participate last time. Hope to meet some new, cool people there and introduce myself to all.