Sulong Championship

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by NAGA, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Bednarick

Bill Bednarick Junior Member

True enough Mike,
    I wasn't out to deny the skill of any instructor or student, I just found it interesting the way it played out. And it gives us something to talk about.:)

Thanks for the compliments!

I think the addition of the thrust being legal made it easier for some and harder for others.

I just tried to fight my fight and treated the event as a litmus test to where I am at personally.
    Next year is going to be a blast... I can't wait.

2. R. Mike Snow

R. Mike Snow Chiseled Edge

Hello again Bill,

Oh, I know you weren't denying anyone. Sorry if I made it sound that way. I wanted to compliment one of the other instructors as well. But did not ever get his name. Thrusting made it much more realistic, it was great!

Hope to see ya before next year, Mike

3. NAGA

NAGA Member

October 12th 2008

Hello everybody,
    Well the Sulong Championship is on for next year! The 4th annual Sulong Championship will be held Sunday October 12th, over the holiday weekend so everybody should have that Monday off in order to recover. Also Bill, you took first place in Stickfighting and your primary art is American Maharlika Kuntaw! Nervertheless, most everyone in the Midwest whom trains FMA/IMA has at least heard of Mushtaq Ali Al-Ansari whom is really a fantastic person and Martial artist. The Martial art part just being icing on the cake! Finally, all the DTS people placed in forms and knife, so I guess we have to work harder on the stick stuff for next year!

Thanks,
    John

4. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

I second that and firmly believe that every person we touch hands, feet , or sticks with makes us better.

5. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I second the statement that Mushtaq is a world class martial artist who is willing to share his knowledge of various arts that he has trained in.. A couple of months before I relocated to Guam, I spent the weekend with Mushtaq and Steve Van H where we went over the silat system that I wanted to learn from Mushtaq.. He took time out of his weekend and spent the day with me working on the silat system and the knife aspects as well as the empty hand aspects of it. Mushtaq even took the time to work with me in another knife system that he teaches and I was interested in learning..

And to top things off, I had the chance to take a few minutes to spar with Steve Van H and that was a riot..

Mushtaq, Steve, John ,Buzz and Mike are all world class martial artists and I am glad to be able to call them friends and in the IMA/FMA commmunity
    Friends are few and far between and it has been my privilege to call them friends as they took the time and opened up their schools for me to train and show what I have been taught over the years.

Maraming Maraming Poon Salamat

Bill

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  6. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

Thanks for the Kudos Bill, you can play with my guys anytime. (had to watch Bill Bednarick for a while- kept walking in circles after you showed him the steps, tought he was going loopy) You have a wealth of knowledge to share- which you do, freely. That is a good thing in this world of- "my art is better than your art" mentality. So, anytime, anyplace-ooops- I can't believe I wrote that! He he

Buzz

7. R. Mike Snow

Mabuhay everyone!

Here is the infamous GM / John Dumog photo that everyone in our group loves so much. I felt that this photo wouldv be the best to visually describe the '08' theme of GT Nene Tortal's upcoming North American Tour and Sulong Championship this October 12th.

[​IMG]

Keep up the outstanding work Brother John! We are all looking forward to more of your entertainingly tallented acrobatic feats this Fall.

Sulong and God Bless, Mike

8. silat1

silat1 Active Member

That posture that Tuhon Nene is in looks to me like he is saying "Look at what I do to bald guys!!!! I can make them fly and land in a lump of arms and legs" Next please.

9. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

:EvilGrin: :D

10. excalibur

excalibur New Member

What sort of awards are you giving to champions at these tournament?
    Plaque, medals, certificate, trophies, etc.... I asked the question, because it seems that some of the tournament that I have seen gives out poor or cheap awards. Does the award matters at all? My opinion, it should, since most of these tournaments, fees and expectator's entrance fees are not cheap. From previous tournament what did they give out. Was the award given matches the expectation of being a champion?

11. R. Mike Snow

Hallo Excalibur!

That's a legit question that I am more than happy to answer...... Last year the "Top Dog Award" was given to Guro "Buz", an authentic Carabao horn hilt, Bahi sheathed Ginunting, with a hand forged, high carbon steel blade from just outside of Talisay, Negros Occidental. Not mass produced junk from Manila. Compliments of Grand Tuhon "Nene" Tortal.

Other winners of multiple events like Our great friend Guro Bill Bednarick, was awarded an authentic Talibong of the same quatlity, not to mention the fact that Brother Bill donated literally hundreds of dollars worth of thick, heavyyyyyyyyyy, realistic practice blades with perfectly detailed wooden handles. Bill has even made practice Ginuntings.

Other multiple event winners received those same "kick ass" practice blades, you can view the quality of these prizes at:

www.combativecustoms.com

Single event winners received really nice Bahi and Kamagong Bastons, you know those are not cheap either.

The young'ens recieved some really nice sized bronze medals, they did not seem disappointed about their awards one bit either. Brother John just could not give them weapons. All though I personally feel every good kid should have their own Taugus or Yakan Barong, but that's just me Hoosier country boy opinion. Guess because I got my first Bolo when I was 10.

Honestly, the Sulong Championship was not ever intended to be and is not a profitable event for those involved in working and promoting it. It is thanks to Brother John Bednarski's love of the S.E. Asian fighting systems. John and a hand full of friends do all this work to bring the MA community together as a whole. To give others the chance to see what the tradional systems are all about and give all the differnt styles of Silat, Kali, Armis, Eskrima, Kuntao and Kuntaw the people in their organizations a chance to meet, compare and learn from each other. All efforts and finances are used to make sure everyone has a great time and has something nice to take home with them. Even if they did not have the chance to win an award, they are guaranteed to have a great time with great people and learn about other great styles and see how they perform. So literally, " No One Goes Home With Nothing To Show For It ". At minimum everyone goes home with a smile, a good word to say, a new hand full of techniques, and urge to work for the "Top Dog" award the next year and new friends. So even though there are great awards, it's not the only thing you will get.

Sulong! Mike

12. NAGA

NAGA Member

Awards

Hello All,
    The awards given out can be seen on previous posts, but I will elaborate. The awards given out were, kamagong, Bahi sticks, and training swords. Overall champions were given swords made by GM Tortals personal baldesmith. The handles were made from horn and the sheathes Bahi. Does this meet with expectations???? Also our tournament fees are reasonable, and we support St Judes Childrens research hospital! Last year we won a silver medal from St. Judes this year I intend to go for the Gold! So I hope this answers your questions? Also this year the tournament will be held on Sunday October 12th keep checking www.Bushido-Martial-arts.com for details and I will be in the near future posting more stuff.... Also please read the entire thread.

Thanks,
    John

13. excalibur

excalibur New Member

Thank you for sharing these info. These awards that you mention are brilliant ideas. (brilliant!!!!!) I just hope that some tournament would catch on on some of these ideas on being creative and unique and more commemorative in giving awards on tournaments. It makes the tournament more meaningful to those who enter and participate on these events.

14. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello All,
    Thanks Excaliber, positve comments are always a plus....

Thanks,
    John

15. R. Mike Snow

[​IMG]

Hello everyone!

I ran across this photo that truley represtents another one the brutal Dekiti-Tirsia Siradas linear Dumog / Panggamut techniques that Grand Tuhon "Nene" Tortal will be demonstrating at the Sulong Championship. The photo was taken in Negros Occidental in 1993 with the extremely dedicated and long long student / fall guy
    Lieutenant Robert Casper.

SULONG! Mike

16. Bill Bednarick

Bill Bednarick Junior Member

Here's a quick review of the prizes I donated to the BEST FMA event in the Midwest.
    [​IMG]
    Ten Pinutes.

[​IMG]
    Six Barongs

[​IMG]
    Some assorted trainers...

I even won some of my own stuff. ;-)
    John even let me trade for a sweet set of Bahi sticks

It's a great event, well run and very heavy on friendly competition.
    I can't wait till this years event!

17. R. Mike Snow

Hi Bill,

Can't wait to see you again man..... Think you might be able to make it to Grand Rapids or the Navadisha Seminar?

By the way, your article of solo practice was "sweet".

God Bless, Mike

18. R. Mike Snow

Typo on the earlier tread, "long time student".

19. R. Mike Snow

Hello everyone!

Here is a photo of the "TOP DOG" Prize for the '2008' SULONG Championship.

[​IMG]

Sulong and God Bless, Mike

20. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Ok you sons of bastoneros

The winter season is almost over, so it's time to get your stuff in one sock and knock the winter rust off of your stick swinging appendages. According to my computations, there is about 280 days to get ready for this tourney. Trust me, the sons of bastonerso here on Guam are already starting to get serious.

So knock off the winter blues and start slicing holes in the ozone layer by putting the energy saved up by the winter sleep and get ready for this tourney..

The temperature here at 1:43 pm Thursday 6 March is a freezing 85 degrees and the trade winds from the west are starting to blow in the tropical rain. Just thought I would pass this on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.