Sulong Championship

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by NAGA, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAGA

NAGA Member

Hello Everyone,
    There will be a FMA ring at the Sulong championships in New Lenox Illinois! This is the premier event in the Midwest so please come and show support for the arts! Study, understand,learn,orginize,network and grow!

2. Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman FMA Talk Founder Supporting Member

Welcome. Do you have a flyer for this event?

3. NAGA

NAGA Member

Sulong redux!

Hello Everyone,
    OOPs I forgot too put a where one can find information on the Sulong Championships! The wbsite is www.Bushido-martial-arts.com, or you can call Bushido Martial arts at (815) 922-6319 and soon I will be sending said flyers....Thank you all!

4. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Sulong tourney

I can attest to this tourney as I fought in it last year.. First time I picked up a stick and fought in competition in some time.. It was a good tourney, well ran and since I am on the board of directors for the Sulong Association, I have a few things I would like to say:

This tourney is to enhance the camarade of the FMA, therefore, there will not be any arrogant attitudes or chest beating at this tourney..
    Sulong is a relatively new organization that we formed while I was in chicago with the guys and gals I met and trained with in order to get something going between the west and east coast as far as FMA concern.
    The Midwest is a relatively dry zone as far as competition besides the WEKAF style of competition and the Sulong organization is on the forefront of trying to get this started.. We have had several good inquiries concerning the tourney and the organization.
    So far, we have as represented in the organization, Dekiti Tirsia under Grandmaster Nene Tortal, Modern arnis with the group in Joliet, Sinko Tiros and Balintawak as represented by GM Rafael Restonand taught by myself as well as the Bahad Zubu system as taught by Punong Guro Mike Blackgrave. We also have several karate systems, jujitsu and judo practitioners and various styles of Silat and Kuntao represented in the group also..

I am giving this organization the full support of the GM Rafael Reston systems because I feel that the Sulong Organization has a good view on what we need to get done in the chicago area with hopes of being on the forefront of establishing a viable organization for the enhancement of the FMA in the midwest..

Bill
    Defensive Tactics
    Guam

5. 408kali

408kali New Member

Hi All,

This organization/event looks to be great networking in the mid-west, with many well-known players. I'm glad to see such comeraderie out that way in the spirit of friendly competition. I myself have never been to a comp.. Is there footage from last year someone could share with us? I'm very interested! Have fun this year, I hope this organization flourishes...

Peace,

~John

6. silat1

silat1 Active Member

sulong tourney

I will see if the tourney organizers have some footage and will see if they will post it on the forum for all to see.

Bill

7. sckyudo

sckyudo New Member

I am really looking forward to this tournament. It will be the first time to attend a tournament like this. I understand that it is being well organized and should be quite an event.

8. jigoku

jigoku New Member

All right finally a tournament in the MIDWEST. I think this is going to be a kick ass tournament. These guys seem to have their sh%# together. Hope to see everyone there to give it their best shot. Thanx

J Duenas Sensei

WWW.MIDWAYKODENKAN.COM

9. silat1

silat1 Active Member

Sulong Tourney

Last year at the first sulong tourney, we had 3 rings which had traditional karate, sport karate and the Pacific Island martial arts.. In this ring, we had Lua, Silat,Kuntao and Arnis forms and sparring... It was a well organized tourney with a minimal amount of delay...
    Over the past 30 yrs in teaching the FMA and competing overseas in the Philippines, Taiwan and Korea, this is one of the best tourneys that comes to mind as far as organization and efficiency in running..
    The organizers had their stuff together and if there were any conflicts, it was taken care of right then and there.
    The rules were well explained and there was a blackbelt meeting that explained all the rules and procedures with this tourney..

Again, If you are free around this time of september and in chicago, I wholeheartedly suggest that you get a hold of the organizers of this and preregister for this tourney as from what I saw last year, it is going to be one of the best tourneys in the Midwest.

Just my .02 pesos

Bill

10. Endurance

Endurance New Member

Support Sulong & FMA Arts

Hello all, I participated in the Sulong tournament last year and it was a blast! Living in the Midwest doesn't allow us many options for local FMA tournaments, but this is the best around. Not only do you get to view a wide variety of arts in one day, but you can also test your own skills against others who you may never have met before. Even if you're not there to compete, it's a great opportunity to learn and build comradery among everyone in the martial arts community. Sulong is right in asking everyone to respect one another and to check Egos at the door for this tournament. No one martial art is the most superior and we all have something to learn from one another. So, I hope to see you all there in September!

11. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Kamusta ka na....I to look forward to this event. I look forward to meeting and sharing with as many good people as possible. The organizers of this event are working tediously to make it a grand event. I know a lot of the folks who will be present and believe me this will be one superior event. A good time will be had by all, no fuss, no muss, no egos...just good competition and a chance to meet and greet with really solid people. I look forward to seeing you all there.

Punong Guro Michael B
    BaHad ZuBu Eskrima
    Western HQ..SATX

Ipagsama Katotohanan (bring truth)

12. yourfutureorthodoc

yourfutureorthodoc New Member

I'm really excited to get a chance to participate in this tourny this time around (last year I was a little too green in the art). All the participation among various schools and styles is really inspiring. This is a great chance to learn about new styles, seeing them in action, and have a nice friendly competition (which always helps a student learn). I only hope that this can start to bring more tournaments to the midwest and garner new chances in the FMA.

All the best,
    MN

13. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Good luck! In what category of event will you be competing?

14. yourfutureorthodoc

Single stick for sure, and I'm thinking about entering knife and forms.

15. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

How is the knife competition done? Same rules as stick?

16. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

Sulong

Wanted to jump in and say yes, this is going to be a great tournament. I also competed last year for my first try with Smaksticks. Only had them for a month beforehand to try and at the tourney had an absolute blast. The organizers are just that, very organized. They want to provide opportunities for people to meet and have fun, make new friends and try out their skills to see where they're at.
    The scoring is much more fun than the typical stop point stuff. You can get a rhythm going and really get a better feel for a fight and how you're doing. Just a helmet and gloves is all you need. The blade oriented scoring keeps you very honest with yourself.
    The organizers are working hard on the behalf of the participants and at our suggestions have added thrusts and knife fighting this year as well.

I made so many new friends last year and can't wait to go back to Chicago again to see them.
    Still doing some healing from my surgery but this certainly gives me a goal to get there! I'll be attending no matter what.

17. Navadisha

Navadisha New Member

footage

I also have footage to share from last year. How would I post it here?

18. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Sounds good! I find it hard to score knife-fighting in a way that seems realistic and encourages good technique.

If it's a video, it's easiest to upload it to YouTube.com and link to it here. The tags [yt][/yt] can be used to link it.

19. yourfutureorthodoc

re: knife scoring

The knife competion, as far as I know, is a start/stop point fighting (6 points I think) system. This way, the competion is safer and makes it easier for the judges to call shots. Nevertheless, it should be fun!

Thanks,
    Matt

20. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Sounds like it'll be a good time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.