Students that are away from "home"

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Carol, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Carol

Carol <font color = blue><b>Technical Administrator</b><

A friend of mine received an unexpected surprise - he's been accepted to an impressive grad school program...but one that would also require relocating to another state for 2 years.

Some of you folks have had students that have been away from home because they are serving, or attending school, or because work sends them on the road.

How have you managed having students a ways away? :)

2. patrickdpr

patrickdpr New Member

This is sort of interesting- it kind of depends on the level of the student. When i left to the military I had a few years of good training, and a good grasp of basics. Leaving and having to practice by myself really sparked a self exploration of the art which helped me A LOT! that being said, I also met some more mentors along the way to guide me in the right direction. Having to teach a few people along the way helped MAKe me understand some concepts at a deeper level.

now that I am a teacher- and from my own experiences- I would say give them some stuff to take with them... some techniques they can perfect or practice on their own. Perhaps some solo drills that are NEW to them so they will have some motivating things to work on, and come back to report progress. Have them find a friend to swing sticks at them-just to keep them moving too..

hope some of that helped.

3. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

I agree with Patrick...how long have they been with you, at what level etc. For me personally I have a few students who are elsewhere due to work. I tell them to take the knowledge I gave them and to build their own monster. I also encourage them to seek out other people in the area they may be in to train with. I actually find some good folks for them if they ask. I think time away from their comfort zone so to speak is a good thing. It gives the student time to invest in his or her self, thus gaining confidence as a human being. By seeking out other martial paths it also gives them new perspectives to old questions...or vice versa. All in all it is a positive thing. By backing them in their endeavors you show a true martial spirit and a concern for their well being. This trust factor is a very important thing. Sadly their are instructors out there who try to play sheriff and dissuade their people from finding a different path for whatever reason, usually a selfish one!

Life is short, roll with it, find a niche, then find another one....it's all good man, just flow and live, life has some groovy things to offer.

4. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I have had students in the same situation.. Currently I have students in Chicago and elsewhere in the states.. Over the years, I feel that I have given them enough information to keep them going for an indefinite time or at least until I get the chance to get back stateside.. One of my guys in chicago has expanded his knowledge and moved on to teach his interpetition of combatives to other groups.. I give them the base foundation and they evolve their own training program from there.. I am just one step on the pathway to understanding combatives..

5. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise Senior Member Supporting Member

Hey Carol train with them as much as you can and then tell them to train and explore. If they are motivated and want to continue they will. Give them your best and generally you will see them get out there and continue to train and explore. I try to help my practitioner's when they relocate to find another instructor or some training partner's. As everyone said above we try to guide them on their own personal journey! [​IMG]

6. lennon0131

lennon0131 New Member

same situation here i trained in the philippines for almost a year under GM Jan Presas but because of work i am in shanghai right now and i couldn't find any practitioner of FMA here so i just train alone so i would not forget all the drills and techniques that i have learned