Stick sizes

Discussion in 'General' started by roger211, Jan 10, 2008.

1. roger211

roger211 New Member

I was wondering what are the general stick sizes that people use for their systems.

I ask this because I was at my Serrada class, and I got some rattan sticks I picked up from the philippines and they were thicker and longer than everyone elses.

So now, I wanna play fair and have the right equipment.

Can someone help a brotha out?

2. Guro Marc

Guro Marc New Member

Stick sizing

This is discussion that could go on fo a a while. My teacher said that his family likes stick that are 39-44 inch long as a all around tool/ walking stick. He said that when worked as a Policeman in Cebu he perfered a 29 inch stick, but for tight quarters one about 18 inches long. In my family the measurement is this- from the tip of your finger to the base of your arm pit. No bigger in diameter then your thumb and forefinger nails overlap. When they get bigger you are now using a a bunal (club). Grampa Espi aways said longer sticks were better because a shorter stick would let a guy punch you because they were too close and you could throw dirt in thier eyes. He really did this too! The WW-2 vets have said that a short stick was better for jungles and tunnels! So base the size of the stick upon your system and the conditions where you train. I like one at 29 inches 3/4-7/8 diameter. If you must cut your stick use fine blade like a hack saw, sand the ends and burn the end. The WEKAF standard is 29 inches. Be familur with it if you fight tournament.

3. kabaroan

kabaroan Kabaroan

Kabaroan practitioners tend to prefer thicker, longer, heavier sticks. My favorite synthetic is 1" delrin, 36" long. I also have 1.125" x 36" red oak. I could go up to a 42" but that really is getting into bankaw length.

In doble baston, I/we use 1" x 30" UHMW synthetic sticks or 1" x 28" rattan. I tend to prefer the synthetic sticks because they will last forever and when you transition to natural sticks, your speed increases due to the reduced mass.

When we do a little Serrada trainging, we tend to use 1" x 20" sticks, both rattan and synthetic (UHMW and delrin).

4. silat1

silat1 Active Member

I use everything from an 18 inch to 29 inch stick.. I get the rattan for my class direct from the Philippines when ever I go there on business or vacation.. I just picked up about 40 pair of sticks and am awaiting the delivery from the carrier.. All hand picked and some are shaved, but the majority is with the skin still intact.. Minimum of 3 joints for a 29 inch, but I have some select sticks with 7 joints.. Before I left the states earlier this year, I gave some friends of mine my 29 inch with 9 nodes..

5. pguinto

pguinto New Member

In Serrada:
    - stick ranges from 19" to 26", minimum 7/8" diameter
    - can opt to use 29"+ sticks for Largo Mano drills
    - 12" daga

In general, measurement is from the base of the arm pit to the center of the hand after bending your wrist downward. Personally, i prefer i short weapon with some heft. Being 5'6", i like 19" with a 1 & 1/2" dia. for heavy work and 22" with 1 & 1/4" for general everyday training.

I recently burst out laughing when my buddy pulled out some 27" that were like 5/8 or 3/4" in diameter. I said, "those arent sticks", produced my short phatties, "those are sticks!" LOL. Doing counters was buttah. He may have been fast, but i barely needed to move as any light contact with my heavier sticks killed most of the energy of those fast fly swatters...

Anyway try training with varying weights and sizes, you'll eventually find your sweet spot. As with everything, it all depends on your environment and situation; whether your training or fighting, tall, short, muscular, thin, etc. In general, train with lighter sticks to see the potential. Use heavy sticks for strength training. Use medium for general use.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  6. roger211

roger211 New Member

/\

That is what I'm trying to go with. It seems my rattan sticks were a bit too thick and long in my serrada class. But I'm trying to get more insight to FMA arts as far as the differences in each.

Thanks a bunch guys.

7. Ryno

Ryno New Member

1" diameter, 30" length, give or take. I'm 6'2, so a little extra length just feels right.

8. StixMaster

StixMaster -== Banned ==-

I use 18" - 28" garote, most blades( bolo & knife) fall into those lengths. Use what feels balanced in your mano, because if you train hard enough it won't matter what length you use.

9. kuntawguro

kuntawguro -== Banned ==-

7/8 x 28 feels just right to me. When i was in the Philippines they used clubs but I was told that it was to strengthen their wrists. the instructors used 1 in x 30 in sticks.
    Use what feels right to you.

10. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

I feel best at 26-28", personally--where I have both length and control. I don't like them below 20" and over 36" I start wanting to use them two-handed which feels different. I prefer them relatively thin--less than an inch in diameter.

11. eskrima

eskrima New Member

I do not like to use the same stick. I have a bag of sticks of differing lengths and diameters. I will use what ever stick that I grab. I don't want to get too comfortable with a specific stick. I do have one special stick that I use when fighting though.

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

That makes a lot of sense. I'm guilty of always wanting to use my own special stick!

13. eskrima

eskrima New Member

The reason that I started training that way was because when I first started FMA, after I was comfortable with a few counters, my instructor had us do the same counter empty handed. I couldn't do it. I was surprised. So, as a result I decided to practice with different sticks, pocket stick, knife, empty hands, scarf, anything that would feel different.

14. MEG UK

MEG UK New Member

I think that generally the sticks that are used (well in the UK anyway) are between 26-28" in most of the styles that are offered on these shores :)

There are exceptions (our style for instance uses longer, heavier sticks) which we feel has its advantages but this is not the norm.

cheers
    Marcie

15. geezer

geezer Member

Great idea!

I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'm going to do this with my students. It's sort of like drawing straws...It could be very interesting if you get stuck...as the saying goes... "with the short end of the stick!"

16. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I normally use a 1"x28", but I also have a bag of sticks of various lenghts, diameters and weights, and switch off from time to time.

17. eskrima

eskrima New Member

Well, I guess they will learn some important lesson around range and footwork? :EvilGrin: :)

18. pguinto

pguinto New Member

19. Brock

Brock Asha'man

Otherwise known as good traing! :)