Stick/knife training with wrist weights

Discussion in 'General' started by Black Knees, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Black Knees

Black Knees New Member

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to FMA (with a few months' experience in Lightning Scientific Arnis) and was wondering if training stick-to-stick partner drills wearing wrist weights would be a viable/safe training option. Just considering the idea because I found wrist weights around the house, but not too sure about it! Advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. geezer

geezer Member

Why bother with weights? Just grab a heavier stick and go to work on a heavy bag or tire stack.

3. gagimilo

gagimilo Member

I agree with geezer. The wrist wieghts do not offer the kind of resistance that will translate all that well into stick fighting (or knife, for that matter).

4. Greg Jah

Greg Jah New Member

I think that for solo training purposes, the wrist weights could be used to good effect. One idea would be to run through the basics s-l-o-w-l-y (i.e., Tai Chi slow...or, fast Tai Chi slow :)) with the weights on. Set a timer and make sure you work both sides for time (i.e., 2 minutes each side, both sides = 1 round). Doing it slowly will help make sure your form is good, and make sure you don't tweak your elbows or shoulders. Ideas:

- 12 angles of attack
    - Upward 8/ Downward 8
    - Heaven / Standard / Earth 6

etc.

Good luck in your training!

Best,

Greg