stick art

Discussion in 'Gear Talk!' started by Dawn, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Dawn

Dawn New Member

Hello,

I've taken to decorating my sticks while waiting for my injuries to heal. I wonder if anyone else out there likes doing the same thing. What do you use? I've tried burning the design with a soldering gun and it's a bit tricky, but once you get the hang of it, it's fine I guess. It's just difficult to get a straight line, and shading tends to get uneven.

Dawn

2. Phil Mar Nadela

Phil Mar Nadela New Member Supporting Member

Dawn,
    I've been trying to 'cook' mine with a Blow torch to harden it. I try to burn it to look like it has leopard spots(found the method on stickman's website), it's a bit tricky to do cause if you stay to long on a spot, it burns and blisters easily. I might post some pics soon. You should show us your work?,of course if don't mind.

3. Dawn

Dawn New Member

the first attempt.. (sigh)

Hi Phil,
    Here's what I came up with. There's a huge room for improvement, but I'm happy :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got this rattan from a supplier and sanded it down myself (it was really furry). Other than that, this pair hasn't had any treatment. A blowtorch would be really handy for that, as well as burning the designs in.

4. Raul

Raul Mananandata

Nice Dawn.. keep it up.

5. Phil Mar Nadela

Dawn,
    Looks really good, I especially like the design on the punyong. It reminds me of the sticks that my relatives used in Zamboanga. They have bisayan letters instead of designs, like the Baybayin letters.
    I don't know about Baybayin writing but i think it'll look good on a stick.
    I'll try to post the sticks that i made soon hopefully tonight.
    One of them is totally burnt.[​IMG]

6. rshawtx

rshawtx New Member

baybayin characters

Hey Phil,

Here is a good site for Baybayin: http://www.eaglescorner.com/baybayin/ This one even has a translator/converter of sorts.

I am sure there are others out there on the web.

Good luck with it and post pictures soon.

Richard

7. Dawn

Dawn New Member

what if the wood is dark?

Thanks, Raul. :)

Hi Phil,

I think I have 3 or 4 baybayin fonts with instructions on how to use them after installing it on your pc. If you like I could email it to you. I'm just not on my own pc right now.

Sometimes I wish I had practice sticks/wood for these designs that would make it ok to mess up.

My brother gave me a pair of kamagong for pasalubong and I'm wondering how to put the same design in its punyong. Using a soldering gun probably wouldn't work because the wood is dark. Do you think it'd be ok to engrave it? It wouldn't be like those carved demo sticks, I imagine the design would only be as shallow as the letterings engraved on a parker pen.

Unfortunately, I have no scrap dark colored wood to test it :lookaroun

8. Phil Mar Nadela

Thanks rshawtx, great site.Really interesting stuff.I will try to learn as much i can.

Dawn,
    I think the only way decorate Kamagong is engraving tools like you suggested. I have alot of sticks (kamagong)that i damaged that i could happily give you but when i saw your location, it's the P.I.! I can try sending some if your interested.
    As promised i have the pics from my stick hardening. I failed in both attempts as you can tell (I need more practice). The first one i burned and the other i blistered trying to make leopard spots. During 'cooking' both sticks curled a little, and i wasn't able to straighten them in time.But both sticks are hard and has the distinct sound during drills.

Attached Files:

9. Dawn

Dawn New Member

negative spots

Phil, I am so interested. Please, if it's not too much trouble, I have relatives in Toronto you could send it to them and they'll take care of sending it to me. I could pm you their address.

You know for some reason I like the well done stick better. How about dabbing some heat resistant material where the spots should be and you could try cooking well-done sticks. Then you'd have pale colored spots on a dark background. :)

10. Phil Mar Nadela

Dawn,
    PM me the address and I will send it to your relatives.
    Also, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to do it again next week.

Phil

11. Phil Mar Nadela

Dawn,

I tried your method for one of the pairs that I made for a friend, tell me what you think.

I used a wood burning kit from the craft store, almost similar to a soldering gun but it comes with different heads for different lines/shadings.

Attached Files:

12. arnisador

arnisador Active Member

Nice work!

13. kyle82

kyle82 New Member

real fitghter sticks don't take decorations.. they simply look bare and varnished.. i have 6 pairs of such but i dont really decorate them, they look gay if they do.. :)

14. Dawn

Dawn New Member

Hi Phil, they look really nice! I've never heard of a wood burning kit before. I guess I have to check the bigger hardware stores in Manila because we don't have any here in my province.

Hi Kyle, decorated sticks are usually just ceremonial / symbolic sticks for gifts and not really for fighting.

Like for example, maybe, when you get to be older and wiser in your martial art and master of your own style you might want to present your best students with a decorated stick as a symbol that they are the only ones authorized to teach your style. Or if you become a guest at a martial arts event or something, a decorated stick is a heck of a lot better than paper certificates to be presented as a token of appreciation.

Oh Phil, I forgot to mention, I never got to engraving the kamagong shards you sent me. My boyfriend saw them and carved them into these beautiful dulo y dulos. I'll send pictures next time.

15. Phil Mar Nadela

This sticks are not ment for "fighting" it is a gift as dawn pointed out. As you can see in the photo i attached. Like the caligraphy that i also presented as a gift to the club. IMG_0004.jpg IMG_0002.jpg

Dawn ill pm you about the burning kit as soon.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  16. Great work Phil!

I'm slightly envious because the hardware stores here in the Philippines don't sell those wood burning kits....or decent torches either :(

We got excited a while back as "Ace Hardware" sold a semi-decent torch. But they didn't sell the butane gas that went with it...:laugh:

It's like the Post Office not selling boxes or the scales in DHL being constantly broke but mustn't complain about the Philippines mustn't complain about the Philippines.....:Eyecrazy::uhh:

17. London

London New Member

have you played with a magnifying glass in the sun? you can get some precise and unique burn patterns that way.