Spyderco Emerson wave

Discussion in 'General' started by big stick, Oct 29, 2008.

1. big stick

big stick New Member

Just found your forum today , was wondering if you have had any experience with the Spyderco Emerson wave knives , I have 2 , they are some of the fastest drawing knives ,but the hook seems like it may get caught if you have to use it in a fight , seems to throw the balance of the knife off to

2. Brock

Brock Asha'man

I don't know how about the Spyderco knives with it, but I've seen the Emerson knives with it in action and they move pretty slick.

3. shadedragon

shadedragon New Member

A few of the students use the waved Endura or Delica and I have not heard them complain yet.

4. KaliGman

KaliGman Professional Man at Arms

Emerson Openers

I have both live blade and trainer versions of Spyderco "waved knives" (Delica and Endura). I had the P'kal, with its removable "wave" device, for a time, but ended up passing it on to collector friend of mine as I do not care much for this particular Spyderco.

I have not found the balance to have changed to a noticeable degree (waved Endura and Delica compared to standard Endura and Delica). The overall profile of the blade is significantly changed in the waved models. The fiberglass reinforced nylon (FRN) handled Delicas and Enduras are a bit blade heavy in any form, but handle very well.

I have found that the more squared off Spyderco version of the Emerson opening device or "wave" is more apt to successfully deploy the blade under stress than the "waves" on some Emerson models. With enough practice, both Emerson and Spyderco versions can work well. Under stress, sometimes the "wave" devices snag and "jam" the knife in a pocket, or don't catch enough and don't fully deploy the blade. With practice, this becomes less and less of an issue.

In general, my personal preference is to have my Spydercos non-waved and my Emersons waved. I find it a bit easier to successfully bypass the wave on the Emerson knives, for those times when you don't want the blade to deploy immediately and quickly (in utility use, a quick "wave" deployment can startle co-workers or other bystanders, and sometimes you may want to "palm" a knife in the closed position because it seems like something bad might be about to happen, but you are not sure enough that this will be a deadly force matter for you to deploy a blade and introduce a lethal tool into the situation).

The bottom line is the "wave" gives you another option when opening a folder quickly. It is worth having a knife or two with this feature so that you can determine if the wave is for you. Some swear by the wave and some swear at it. I personally see it as another option and add practice in its use to my knife deployment practice, where I practice many other means of opening a folding knife.