Sparring

Discussion in 'Kali Ilustrisimo' started by RETIRADA, Mar 29, 2009.

1. RETIRADA

RETIRADA New Member

Greetings to all KI practitioners.

I would appreciate training tips, drills, strategies on how to apply 'pluma' in single stick vs single stick sparring.

Salamat.

Louie

2. Sicilian

Sicilian New Member

From what I know, stuff like Pluma,Cruzada, etc. are used for situational combat only. Those are the "oh ****, WTF moments when you're caught by surprise in tight places. Other than that, it would be foolish to attempt it in sparring. Just my 2 cents.

3. Depends how much skill you have regarding pulling it off.

I have seen GM Yuli Romo do it often in sparring.

Here is a video of some applications (usually when closing to close quarters). There are two plumas, 1 at the beginning and one at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4d2tb2WQRQ

The De Ceurdas training device is a great way to practice these techniques.

Ofcourse, if you've wearing lots of armour and using padded sticks (which are thicker) the technique becomes very difficult indeed to do. This is one of the reasons why Master Yuli prefers no armour / live-stick sparring...

4. RETIRADA

RETIRADA New Member

Thank you both for your input and reply.

Louie

5. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Pluma is a good entry and a better enganyo.....better have great hands though if you prefer the latter......;)

6. Slightly OT (as you'd have to be exceptional to do this in sparring) butI have also seen it used as an enganyo leading to a disarm.

You need to have control of the other guy's stick hand first though.

So the basic dis-arm would go like this.

• Attacked with number 1 strike
    • Defender answers with clearing strike to the body and live hand performs kappa on the stick hand. Guiding the striking motion round until it is about chest height. (all of this done with an offline step at the same time of course).
    • Pluma using their stick as a fulcrum to bait to the eyes
    • Wait for their reaction (move / Counter-move) and disarm with forearm if situation allows.

You also need to preform the last bit with "lutang" footwork else you disarm the stick directly onto you leg. Not cool if it's a blade.

If you don't do the enganyo to the eyes and the guy is smart he will wait for you to do the disarm and simply grab your stick. So the enganyo is very important to distract & shock the opponent as always.

My problems as this thread alludes to is the hand dexterity required to perform pluma fluidly. As mentioned, I practice on the De Cuerdas and also by thrusting a post and then doing pluma.

So just like knife work the hand needs to be relaxed yet with a retaining amount of grip. And then you have the real problem of "Where, when, how" to apply it...! Enough to keep us all busy for a while I bet.

Simon.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  7. RETIRADA

RETIRADA New Member

Thank you both for your input.

Louie

8. RETIRADA

RETIRADA New Member

I'd like to ask our fellow KI practitioners on what their preferred or favorite sparring techniques (single stick vs single stick) are.

9. oosh

oosh Junior Member

De Cadena/ Bagsak and Clasico :)

10. Raul

Raul Mananandata

Uno!

11. oosh

oosh Junior Member

Hmm good point

12. sjansen

sjansen New Member

Practice your redondo and abaniko. The gloves will stop you from doing the outward redondo. You also need to make sure that you have the right conditioning. You need to make sure that you can do 2 minutes at least without stopping. It seems easy, but do it shodowboxing for 2 minutes and see if you pass muster. Full out two minutes is pretty hard. Do this three times consecuatively and see how you fare before you consider combat. Practice with your gear on and you will get a feeling of how you will do in combat.

13. Sicilian

Sicilian New Member

Uno, Salto and Media Fraile for sparring. :)

14. PG Michael B

PG Michael B Oso Grande

Balls , Heart, Luck, Skill.....put them in the order you want...just practice and have at it...it will all come out in the wash. Be practical and simple!

15. silat1

silat1 Active Member

abanikos are good for show, but for sparring I wouldn't use them personally.. I would use the training from the estokada balintawak system that I learned from GM Reston and the training that I received from GT Jerson " Nene" Tortal as it has been proved on the field of battle time and time again.. When I was back stateside, I saw more abanikos being used for sparring and forms with no real purpose in their application.. Some of the abanikos that were used didn't have the power behind them to crack a grape (again my own opinion) by the majority of the participants that I saw.. I saw some of the US WEKAF team use the abaniko and knew by the way the stick was moving, it had some serious power behind it and would beneficial in attacking the weapon arm. But as far as headshots, why waste your time swatting flies when the head is going to be moving thereby making it a difficult target to zero in on.. (again my opinion)

16. Tatang Ilustrisimo on "Abanicos"

Tatang on Sparring:

Full Interview:

http://www.yellowbamboohk.com/Arnis/arnisarticles/Tatang%20interview%20by%20Steven%20Drape.html

17. Raul

Raul Mananandata

We don't have the fanning movements the wekaf players do where if you're holding a sword, the flat of the sword will land. If you see KI guys doing that, then I'm sure that that method didn't come from the old man.
    The abanico of Ilustrisimo can still be applied in stick sparring and may still break something but it will resemble a doblete in reverse since the first movement will be longer and the second movement shorter and only as a prefix to more powerful tigbas either with forehand or backhand, or ekis or redonda etc. then disengaging.